Golf R APR Stage 1

Soldato
My understanding is yes, in that all driving modes will be at the remapped power.

Mode selection is generally only altering things like throttle response via the pedal (and shift patterns on DSG), I'm not sure to what extent they fiddle with this. Pre or post map, mode selection isn't loading up different engine maps or power outputs.

Man of Honour
I don't know specific to this case but as above driving modes generally change the behaviour of ancillary things - on my truck for instance sport mode alters the throttle response, how long and under what conditions it stays in a gear in automatic, enables engine braking, etc. but doesn't change the power profile.

OcUK Staff
Depends on the mapper.

My Golf R was custom mapped and ECO mode was left a map for better economy, all other modes were full power from remap.

I went up against APR and Revo tuned Golf R’s and destroyed them I was nearly a whole second faster yet the car was only making 366BHP.

You can’t beat a good mapper and if DSG getting the TCU unit mapped us also a must as it makes it smoother and also makes LC more effective and again less of a strain.

I ran 11.7@119 with PC and 12.2@117 without LC at Santa Pod. :)

Unicorn mapper my car in Stockport only hardware mod was a sports cat down pipe.

0-60 was 3.3s and 0-100 was 7.5s it was in short a Mini GTR without the bloat.

Soldato
Depends on the mapper.

My Golf R was custom mapped and ECO mode was left a map for better economy, all other modes were full power from remap.

I went up against APR and Revo tuned Golf R’s and destroyed them I was nearly a whole second faster yet the car was only making 366BHP.

You can’t beat a good mapper and if DSG getting the TCU unit mapped us also a must as it makes it smoother and also makes LC more effective and again less of a strain.

Unicorn mapper my car in Stockport only hardware mod was a sports cat down pipe.

I'd love a golf R like that.
But no doubt it would be stolen within a week here.

Soldato
Depends on the mapper.

It doesn't run a different engine map in Eco to start with though and I didn't think the mode selection actually had any ability to change engine maps, so how did he make that work?

APR used to offer switchable maps on older VAG cars via (IIRC) the cruise control stalk, so if it was as simple as loading different maps to the different driving modes i'm amazed they don't offer that now.

I don't think i've ever heard of a mapper, custom, branded, whatever, that loads up different engine maps on the mode selection system?

OcUK Staff
It doesn't run a different engine map in Eco to start with though and I didn't think the mode selection actually had any ability to change engine maps, so how did he make that work?

APR used to offer switchable maps on older VAG cars via (IIRC) the cruise control stalk, so if it was as simple as loading different maps to the different driving modes i'm amazed they don't offer that now.

I don't think i've ever heard of a mapper, custom, branded, whatever, that loads up different engine maps on the mode selection system?

I did not map the car, so I have no idea how he did it. But ECO mode the car is noticeably slower, less boost and the mapper did inform me of this also, so it was deliberate. He also gave me the option of a pops and bangs map which could be assigned to one of the other modes if I so wished, but I declined as I think they sound rubbish and the mapper also suggested it was a bad idea with a sports cat and only recommends it for cars running a de-catted downpipe.

Like I say a custom mapper is leagues beyond an off the shelf map which is what essentially APR and REVO offer unless you pay for a true custom map from them.
Unicorn has a fantastic reputation and all his cars though down on power, give much better real world results, 1/4 mile, vmax days, acceleration times etc. and lets face it real world performance and drive ability is far better than any dyno result from a happy dyno.

A little like EFI for the Renault boys, when he mapped my Clio 172 Cup it gained 3-4HP peak, so in short did very little if you just look at the numbers, but the car was smoother and was a good 5-7mph faster by quarter mile mark.

Anyway as I say on my Golf R Unicorn was able to offer different engine maps on the mode selection system and his TCU map is pretty much the thing of legends. My Golf R is still at OcUK still running said map and is driven daily and hard, it has had zero issues and is a totally faultless car and its on around 55-60k miles now, when I got the car it had an off the shelf remap on it and to be blunt it was pretty crap, yes there was more power but it felt very boosty, just a load of mid-range torque and then nothing. When Unicorn got the car I said I want real world performance and I want the engine to feel like it wants to rev out and not be just a mid range torque monster, he checked it over and did not say anything bad but did mention the torque was over loading the clutches and making the gearbox run hotter which he did not advice on stock clutches.

Look up my thread the results are in there but I think my car finished up around 367HP and around 355lb/ft, the difference in engine and gearbox after he mapped the car was night and day and it felt more eager and it revved out beautifully and its real world performance was nothing short of staggering. It was certainly a faster car than a stock GTR in the real world, hence why to me it was like a Mini-GTR. :)

Associate

There is no way your golf r on that power and with those mods managed a 0-100 in 7.5. If it did it wouldn't take another 4.2s to get to 119.

Unicorn is a good mapper but his maps seem somewhat brutal, with max torque coming in at just before 3k rpm; which may explain the good times you managed but it will put more strain on the gearbox etc.

For a stage 1 there is nothing wrong with revo or apr maps. Apr also feed the torque in higher up the rev range which should be more mechanically sympathetic.

Associate
Thanks, sounds like a custom map is the way to go. I need to find someone Herts/London ideally.

Travel for a good map would be my advice, especially if you don't have a reputable custom mapper.

I used Revo before, they failed to deliver the rated power on my (8P) S3 by some margin at stage 2+, going to RTech was the best move I made!

Associate
I had a Golf R running both stage 1 and 2 APR maps (with TCU map aswell) at different times in my ownership and I would say it felt like it was running at a reduced power output in Eco mode although I never asked the tuners as it just seemed to make sense that it would.

Man of Honour

Watch this space!

EcuTek do currently for many platforms already and released VW EA888 initial support recently.

Back
Top Bottom