AMD Build spec assistance

Associate
Happy New Year all.

I require some assistance with a spec for an AMD build. My budget is flexible but I am trying to restrict myself to £2000 to cover the base unit inc W10 and OCUK build cost. I already have a keyboard and mouse and 2x24" dual Asus monitors for now. My intentions are to purchase a 34" Ultra Wide curved in the near future. I have also already acquired a Sabrent Rocket nvme of the rainforest that i would like to install later.

My uses for the system will primarily be used for work (MS office packages, Web browsing, Stock Trading, Youtube (Watching, Encoding Dash Cam footage to a new channel, Streaming and gaming) but not all necessarily at the same time.

I would also like the PC to be slightly flashy and make use of RGB. I don't plan to overclock at all and want it to be somewhat future proofed component wise. (e.g. 32GB instead of 16GB whilst prices are low, Adequate PSU).

I appreciate it maybe overkill but as noted don't plan to update it anytime soon. The PC would be in some instance left running 24/7 so it needs to be Cool (temp wise), Quiet and Efficient.

So far i have decided on the following but have no idea if they are the best fit or compatible.

Be Quiet DarkBase 700 RGB case
Gigabyte X570 Auros Ultra Motherboard
Ryzen 7 3700X CPU (plan to replace this in future to a 3950 or better once prices reduce)
32 GB Ram RGB Variant
2070 Super or RX5700
2TB nvme M.2 (i also have the Sabrent Rocket)
4TB SSD (For games and Work)
4TB HDD (For photos etc)
PSU 750W
A RGB Cooler and adequate RGB fans

I plan to submit the potential build to OCUK late February. Is there anything i should be mindful off release wise that might affect a possible build. I say this because i was originally going to purchase a Germanium pre build but was advised to wait for the new AMDs and this seems to have paid off.

Thanks all for your time.

Soldato
Get an aftermarket CPU cooler, something like a Noctua NH-D15 or similar. Also AMD 3k processors like fast RAM, something like 3600MHz minimum, and they do plenty with RGB at that rated speed.

Also a AMD RX5700 is PCIE 4.0 vs 2070Super PCIE 3.0, so if you want a fully PCIE4 machine get the AMD RX5700 - although the PCIE3 on the 2070Super doesn't slow it down much!

For PSU anything Seasonic or Corsair(RM variant) is excellent.

Associate
OP
Thanks hominid. I'll check the dimensions of the cooler to ensure it will fit in the case.

Other than keeping the PC fully 4.0 compliant, which of the two cards would be best for my listed uses ? and could somebody generate me a list of parts that i can put to OCUK.

p.s. How do you guys normally compile the spec list as seen is other post ? Thanks again.

Soldato
Something like this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,565.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

To get a list like that, build the system on OcUK shop, then click the shopping basket and there should be a button called BBCode - copy the contents of the window that pops up and paste it in the forum.

For your usage I think the AMD 5700(XT?) will be fine, but that's mainly up to what video editing software you use as sometimes NVidia is faster. If you Davinci Reslove then AMD is fine.

Associate
OP
Hi hominid.

Hope your having a good weekend. Would you recommend pushing the boat out and getting the 3900X over the 3700X. I'm only thinking in terms of gaming 1440 and streaming 1080. Is the 3700X adequate ?

Soldato
It's up to you really.. The 3700X will handle most games and streaming but it will bottleneck before the 3900X does but that is obvious.

If you can justify it to yourself that way then by all means get one. :)

Soldato
Hi hominid.

Hope your having a good weekend. Would you recommend pushing the boat out and getting the 3900X over the 3700X. I'm only thinking in terms of gaming 1440 and streaming 1080. Is the 3700X adequate ?

For gaming and streaming the 3700X is fine. Only reason to get a 3900X would be if you needed the extra cores for thing like video editing.

I would also suggest not wasting money on expensive items. The build posted above has a lot that can be trimmed off it without losing performance (Case, cooler, board. storage, fans etc). I mean £400 for a 2TB SSD is crazy.

Permabanned
It's quite expensive with these drives.

(I have found a quite cheap case that looks amazing - Segotep Sprint)

sprint.jpg

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,587.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Associate
OP
I do plan to do video editing but more in preparation of files to upload for YT rather than fully fledged video production. I have looked at the original specs hominid provided as my reference and was considering to remove the SSD for now as i already have a Sabrent in my back pocket which can be fitted to make use of the 2nd M2 although its only the PCIe 3.0 ver. I could downsize the Auros 2TB boot drive as all i would want installed on this is Windows and potentially Microsoft Office.

Associate
re hardrives, it's your money but i'm not sure why you're going for expensive m2 and ssd harddrives. A 1tb m2 drive is absolutely fine as an os/work drive, if the rest of the hd space is mainly going to be used for storage? If your case has a removable 3.5" dvd drive panel on the front, like, for example, that Segotep Sprint mentioned above seems to have, you can take out that panel and replace it with an hd caddy (around £15 or so), which lets you 'hotswap' mechanical hd's. Any time you need to transfer something to a storage drive you just pop in a mechanical hd, like a video cassette, and eject once you're done, so the mechanical storage drive is only in use when you're transferring stuff = less noise, if you're concerned about noise from a mechanical hd. Also cheaper than large m2's or ssds.

regarding the cpu, I have a 3700x and do a bit of video encoding using cpu based programs and the 3700x is no slouch when it comes to that :)

one other thing, you're ordering late february? In that case, try to reach 100 forum posts before then, since that will qualify you for free shipping from ocuk, which you activate via your ocuk shop account :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for the input Tyrion2 and the rest of you who have provided input.

I've got a few weeks before i place my order so a few things to have a deep think about. Whatever I save now can go towards a better 34" UW Monitor.

I plan to keep whatever i purchase now for atleast 5 years if not greater and keep it as is. My budget is more relaxed at the moment given i got a surprise works bonus but in a few years i might struggle to justify a single net spend of the amount i have now. My justification is to spend more now but give myself options which AMD provides to upgrade major components as prices reduce. My partner takes a lot of high resolution photos and edits them. Other than this she would not use the PC a great deal. That was the main reason for the larger faster storage but the caddy does seem a valid option i had not considered. Me personally I plan to game and potentially stream (not competitively) and upload videos to YT (another dash cam compilation channel and occasional vlogs) so wanted a capable processor for these tasks. Other than this i would use it for work and i appreciate the PC would be overkill for this. I also wanted a flashy case so not sure the caddy would work given the case I originally had in mind aesthetically.

I wanted something quiet and cool as there would be times where the PC is running over 12 hours a day if not constant for several. So efficiency is also a criteria to consider.

Associate
re caddies, you can also get hd caddies which are connected to your pc via usb/e-sata and are not part of the pc. I think they're called 'docking stations' and the principle is the same as with an 'internal' hd caddy - it lets you hotswap mechanical hd's ;)

Back
Top Bottom