Spec me a European roadtrip route

Soldato
Hi Motors

Return ferry is booked: Dover to Dunkirk 20/04/20 and returning Dunkirk to Dover on 02/05/20. So that's 12 days road tripping but nothing else is booked so far. The car is an mx5 powered hardtop with custom luggage so we can fit loads of stuff.

Where shall we go?

I'm not looking at huge miles, an average of 250 per day sounds good. On that basis we can set off after breakfast at 10ish and cruise for a couple of hours, stop for a leisurely lunch and a wander, then another couple of hours cruising to our hotel for the night.

I was looking forward to some great driving roads over the alps but in late April I understand many will still be closed :( I've also done quite a bit of driving in West Germany but never travelled further East than Mainz, so quite fancy Berlin and even continuing East into Poland and maybe visiting Gdansk, then south to krakow.

Of course having the convertible my natural urge is to head south and get the roof down. But where?

I'm very much open to suggestions at the moment and would really appreciate some.

Thanks

Associate
Well everyone will have a different opinion on where to go, we did something similar a few years ago - we did Bruges - West Germany - Como in Italy - Nice - Geneva and back. I am sure you will have an ace time what ever direction you head but fundamentally down to you, Poland and eastern Europe or Italy/Spain will be very different trips but any will be fantastic. Personally I would be tempted to do a big day of driving up front and get to where you want to be then enjoy pottering back. That time of year for me I would power it down to Italy as the weather should be alright and then enjoy driving back through Austria/Switzerland as you like. But something similar to Spain would also likely get you some better weather too.

Worth checking if you will need international driving license translations with Brexit looming and which ones will depend on which countries you will be driving through.

Man of Honour
Probably a good idea to plan the trip before booking the ferry. Your dates are going to stop you accessing the best Europe has to offer and surely the entire point of something like an MX5 is for the amazing roads of the alps?

I would head South in April and check the Cote d Azure but it's a long drive. Cancel the ferry and fly down to Nice and rent a car. It'll buy you more time to explore.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for the replies. Regarding a long drive down south I reckon 3 days from Dunkirk would get us to southern France and I quite fancy a night in a different resort for a week or so then a long drive back up north.

Regarding parking is it really as bad as I've heard down there? I'd use the hotels for overnight parking but during the day I've hear it's routine for cars to get bumped and people drive off without a thought, lots of double parking and every available space being crammed nose to tail.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Nice, Monte-Carlo, Antibes, everywhere like that i have never had an issue parking. There are loads of proper carparks, a lot seem to be underground down there, its no issue.

As mentioned, personally i would not bother driving down there. Nice airport has an excellent selection of cars and the flight is really quick, you'd be there before you can even drive down to dover.

Associate
Have you considered driving down to the Douro Valley? Quiet roads, fantastic scenery and wonderful wine. Include a night is St Sebastian for the food, maybe a night in Porto as well. Would include a few long motorway blasts to get yourself into position and potentially getting the ferry to Santander / Bilbao / St Malo might help but it is an option.

Back
Top Bottom