• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X

Associate
Hi,

Quick question, I have already ordered but there is still time to change it.

Everything I have read says that the 3600X is not worth it over the 3600. There is little evidence that the 3600X have been specifically bin-selected and that the 3600 is likely to clock to 3600X stock speeds and as much beyond. And that although the 3600X comes with a better cooler, you would be better off spending the difference on an after market cooler.

In summery the extra £30-£40 for the 3600X is not worth it, better spending the money on a cooler.

BUT, what if the difference between the two is only £13.

Would you go for the 3600X then?

Interested to hear your views?

Cheers,

Nigel

Associate
I just had the same choice to make myself. Given overclocking generally seems to give a lot less gains this generation unless you want that all core max I was planning to run this one stock and let Ryzen’s boost thing do its thing so went for the 3600X. The fact there was, as you say, only about £13 between them made my mind up for me, at that price difference it’s a no brainier I think..

Associate
OP
It is 3600X that I went for. It would be bonus if I also got the AMD Reward game but I suspect that this particular retailer is not part of that scheme which is why they are selling the 3600X a lot cheaper than other retailers. But fingers crossed, it may turn up with the code.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Soldato
I got the 3600x when the sales were on as it was £10 more, made sure I was on latest bios and installed it and no tweaking needed, happily runs at 4350 / 4400 when gaming.

If it's like other retailers you should get an email with the code on to redeem, you'll need to install some AMD software once your new chip is installed to redeem it against.

Associate
OP
I got the 3600x when the sales were on as it was £10 more, made sure I was on latest bios and installed it and no tweaking needed, happily runs at 4350 / 4400 when gaming.

If it's like other retailers you should get an email with the code on to redeem, you'll need to install some AMD software once your new chip is installed to redeem it against.

No email with code when I placed the order but they are waiting on stock arriving on Monday so maybe one will be sent when the dispatch is confirmed. Not holding my breath though, this particular retailer doesn’t mention it and it is not on the list of participating retailers on the AMD site - did you get a code?

Cheers,

Nigel

apg

apg

Associate
It is 3600X that I went for. It would be bonus if I also got the AMD Reward game but I suspect that this particular retailer is not part of that scheme which is why they are selling the 3600X a lot cheaper than other retailers. But fingers crossed, it may turn up with the code.

Cheers,

Nigel

Ye same here. I opted for the 3600x as am keeping it at stock and so far the wraith spire cooler has been more than sufficient.

Associate

At that price difference it is a total no brainer. But at the current prices, there is a reasonable difference in price.

Soldato
I went for the 3600X but only because the 3600 was longer for delivery and wouldn’t have arrived with my other parts. The price difference was £12.

The better cooler with the X isn’t worth it now since they ditched the copper core and fitted a louder fan.

Soldato
I still dont get the advice people give to get the non X and spend on a cooler, the better cooler on a X removes the need to buy a cooler, and you get a better binned chip. There is no guarantee a 3600 will run as well as a 3600X it is a lottery, which I think isnt worth it for a mere £40, So I suggest the 3600X.

Soldato
I still dont get the advice people give to get the non X and spend on a cooler, the better cooler on a X removes the need to buy a cooler, and you get a better binned chip. There is no guarantee a 3600 will run as well as a 3600X it is a lottery, which I think isnt worth it for a mere £40, So I suggest the 3600X.

You’re right that you don’t need to buy a cooler for the X, but only if you can put up with the noise. My Wraith lasted two days before I swapped it for a Cooler Master 411H. The cooler that ships with the 3600X has been significantly downgraded from the previous model and is much noisier.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Nice point. I already had an AIO that was compatible so lucky enough to transfer over which is why I got the regular 3600. At the time the X was £50 more too.

Soldato
The 3600 certainly made more sense back when it launched compared to the 3600x.. Now though they are like 15 pounds apart here in Denmark, i personally would pick the 3600x instead of the 3600 i got if i had to do it again. I can say that the cooler that comes with the 3600 does the job for stock operation but nothing more than that. Still love the chip though and have no regrets.

Soldato
yeah prices have closed which is interesting, I expect that is supply and demand related, at launch most probably brought the 3600, which would bring the prices closer, the same reason why the 3800X is now closer to the 3700X than it was before.

Soldato
Cost savings pure and simple. It’s now solid aluminium rather than having the copper core (which I think was a vapour chamber?). They’ve upgraded the fan to compensate so temperatures are unaffected and it keeps the same thermal rating but the trade off is it’s no longer quiet.

Back
Top Bottom