27" 144hz/1440p suggestions

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my current screen to something a bit tastier and I've been reviewing a lot of the other threads here and there certainly is a lot of good info to hand. But having checked out all the current crop of monitors...I'll be honest, I'm damned if I can decide which way to go with making a decision.

I know rig specs are important on maximising what screen may be the best choice, with what rig you may currently have and also, looking a bit further down the line in regards to *GPU upgrading* is a factor I'm taking into account too.

So here they are...
Maximus VII Hero Intel Z97
i7 4790K 4.0GHz
16gb Corsair ram
Evga GTX980 Classified (*see above*)
1000W Superflower PSU
x3 Samsung 512gb SSD

Current screen was a hurried replacement (the Dell I had basically died) and is an Acer 27" KG271 TN. It's ok and cost like a 150 quid and has served it's purpose well whilst accumulating new screen funds. But getting a much faster screen has always been at the top of the list.

Predominately a gaming rig, but is also used for all the other various tasks you'd expect in a home. Pretty much a fps player...so TF2, SWBF/II, BF series and some racing and adventure games too. So at some point the 980 will be getting swapped out, or the possibility of doing the GPU upgrade at the same time as buying the new monitor isn't out of the question.

I'm not looking to upgrade anything other than the screen and (possibly) GPU at present, because the rest of my rig is stable and churns out whatever I need it to. Just looking to increase screen FPS rate and a nicer view when I get blown up/shot/melee'd to death. I can then move the Acer over to the other desktop, so I don't have to wait for my other half to finish on Farmville 2 before I can get on the PC...apparently an old 17" Packard Bell isn't good enough

Not looking to go much bigger than a 27", as this fits perfectly with desk space and distance from screen and I'm aware this is the sweet spot for fps gaming.

Budget, I'm looking around the £800 mark...but this is flexible to a degree and if I can work in that new GPU at the same time for a few quid more, then the job's a good'un. But the new monitor is the primary concern.

I've always used Nvidia cards and predominately Evga's...so G-Sync is a definite preference.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Thanks for your post. So would it be better to consider a Freesync screen as opposed to purely Gsync? Especially with the consideration of an imminent...or very near future GPU upgrade. I'd rather drop the coin now on both and not be hampered by sticking with the 980 for the sake of it.

I'll freely admit after reading like a hundred different reviews so far on cards and screens...the whole Freesync and Gsync options started to blur a bit. I'll take a look at the Viewsonic too.

Associate
LG 27gl850 when it comes in stock. £470 (although can be had elsewhere for 425, not in stock there either) which leaves you 300+ to put in your gpu fund.

Soldato
I've had the BenQ EX2780Q for about 3 weeks. Gorgeous screen. I like it on Gamma 2.4 (2.6, 2.2, 2.0 and 1.8 also options) and Colour Vibrance 9 (down from 10 default) for gaming and movies. But I have a reading/browsing setting on Gamma 2.0 and Colour Vibrance 8 which is really gentle on the eyes. There are custom keys to switch easily.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £461.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Whatever your choice, would pair with an RX 5700 XT or stretch to RTX 2070 Super (bear in mind RX 5700 XT performance is so close to 2070 Super that you don't want to overpay for an expensive 2070 Super model). Or keep going with the GTX 980 and wait for new offerings from AMD and Nvidia forthcoming in 2020.

Caporegime
This is the one but it's gonna be 600ish easy when it does drop in the UK.

https://www.viewsonic.com/elite/products/XG270QG.html

I'd personally get a nice Freesync one like the above and save 150+ and suffer no Freesync/Gsync til you upgrade :)
Don't suppose you/any one knows how this compares to the LG 27GL850-B? Was eyeing up the LG as a possible replacement though it seemed to go through a QC and stock issue a few months back. If the Freesync version of the Viewsonic will be under £500, that puts it very close to the price range of the LG.

Edit - @JediFragger on closer inspection, think the LG pips it for me (at least for now as I am in no rush to upgrade). The Viewsonic Adaptive Sync monitor (Elite XG270QC) has a slightly worse colour gamut, loses the Nano Colour panel for a VA and a slightly slower response time. It's still a great monitor but I believe the LG has all of those bells and whistles and ticks my gaming/photo editing needs for a similar price :)....if you can find one lol.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm currently waiting for either the MSI MAG272QR or the AOC AG273QX to be available for sale, for a 27" gaming monitor. This is because I love VA panels over IPS or TN, and don't want a curve. Both are due imminently, probably the end of the month. The MSI looks like its HDR is probably lacking, with a peak brightnes under 400 nits, but it's also only £279 vs the AOC's probabe £429-ish price.

Obviously if you prefer other panel types you're not going to be interested in these, but if you *do* want a flat, VA, 27", 1440p, FreeSync, 144Hz gaming panel, these are the ones you're waiting for!

Associate
OP
Guys, I can't thank you enough for all of the opinions and suggestions. I shall take some time over the coming weekend and properly review all that has been put forward.

As in my OP, the screen is pretty much on the cards as an immediate future buy. But as @Danny75 mentioned and inline with some other info I'd read over the Xmas break, there are some new gpu's dropping this year so could well be tempted to hold fire and keep squeezing the best out of the 980 until then :)

Caporegime
I'm currently waiting for either the MSI MAG272QR or the AOC AG273QX to be available for sale, for a 27" gaming monitor. This is because I love VA panels over IPS or TN, and don't want a curve. Both are due imminently, probably the end of the month. The MSI looks like its HDR is probably lacking, with a peak brightnes under 400 nits, but it's also only £279 vs the AOC's probabe £429-ish price.

Obviously if you prefer other panel types you're not going to be interested in these, but if you *do* want a flat, VA, 27", 1440p, FreeSync, 144Hz gaming panel, these are the ones you're waiting for!

Did you contact them to know when they're coming? I'm in your boat of 27/VA/1440/144+ & FreeSync and I've got an itchy wallet finger.

Associate
Did you contact them to know when they're coming? I'm in your boat of 27/VA/1440/144+ & FreeSync and I've got an itchy wallet finger.

There's a thread talking about the MSI MAG272QR ... here - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...72qr-27-gaming-monitor-release-date.18869874/

NikTheSHNIK dropped in to say he thought they would be in stock here at OcUK around the end of Jan.

I got in touch with AOC directly about the AG273QX, but all they could tell me was that their information said "November 2019". I haven't found one for sale anywhere yet though.

(If you're OK with curved screens there are already good options like the Samsung CHG70, but in this situation I'm not, I want flat ones!)

Back
Top Bottom