Spec me a Hybrid.

Soldato
OP
Finally fixed my issue with the auto wipers. It was the gel pad, as I mentioned to lexus. They gave me a pretty brand new ux250h with all the options as a courtesy vehicle. In f sport trim too. Nice car, though I was hoping to get the rc300h :(.

Soldato
I have a new Corolla Hybrid 1.8 and currently averaging around 54mpg (which is pretty much what the WTLP figures state), in the summer when I first got it I was a few more mpg, in comparison my other car is a 1.6 Auris and currently average around 35mpg. Same type of use.

There is no issue with roundabouts or junctions and stop/start as there is no waiting for the ICE to kick in. When it does it is almost seamless and unnoticeable. Normal ICE cars do seem to have a delay and it's very useful...when I am on a bike at the front of the lights and gives me a chance to get away before cars. It's quite amusing when you hear them all start like a symphony.

Sport mode is overrated, yes it makes it slightly more responsive but it doesn't turn it into a hot hatch and doesn't add any BHP. In the same way I found ECO mode makes little difference to economy. It often goes full EV at 60-70mph when cruising which was a little unnerving when I first got it as the rev counter drops to 0 as if the engine has died.

Fuel tank is apparently 43 litres. I have run it to 0 miles left on the trip computer and refueled it as soon as it did and put in 41 litres so it's pretty accurate, but doesn't cost only £40 to fill, even at the current cheapest price of £118.9 it's around £48. The Auris I can get another 20 miles out of it after 0!

Soldato
I've been borrowing Dad's Auris Hybrid for the last couple of months. Took a couple of weeks to work out how best to drive it, after 10+ years in a diesel hot hatch. I'm wimping out and filling up at around 1/4 tank indicated which is a range of ~320 miles. Typically getting 30-32L in. Not sure on the tank size, I'd guess 45L? First tank averaged 55mpg, the last couple in cold weather have dropped to 48mpg then 45mpg. It's running the ICE a lot more in cold weather, I presume to keep it warmed up and run the heater.

Not a car that was on my shortlist. It's a bit dull to drive but very comfortable, quietly competent and loaded with tech.

EDIT : Oh, it's on 17" wheels which apparently doesn't help.

Soldato
It often goes full EV at 60-70mph when cruising which was a little unnerving when I first got it as the rev counter drops to 0 as if the engine has died.
is this, even, to leave some headroom in the battery, to allow saving energy from a future regenerative braking, need AI learning, so it would learn how to optimize a regular commute.
But, must be interesting to see, if you say, slipstream an artic, when it might do it, if you can see the energy being expended and know when the battery could supply that on its own.

Soldato
It often goes full EV at 60-70mph when cruising which was a little unnerving when I first got it as the rev counter drops to 0 as if the engine has died.

That's higher than the 1.8 Auris, it'll go full EV under 45mph.

Motorway mpg is better than I was expecting for a 1.8 petrol engine - set the cruise to a true 70 and it's in the low 50s, which isn't far off my old VAG TDI.

Soldato
is this, even, to leave some headroom in the battery, to allow saving energy from a future regenerative braking, need AI learning, so it would learn how to optimize a regular commute.
But, must be interesting to see, if you say, slipstream an artic, when it might do it, if you can see the energy being expended and know when the battery could supply that on its own.

When cruising your foot isn't always on the throttle and you can see power being put back in the battery. Even above 70 the electric motors will assist the ICE but energy recovery is less.
That's higher than the 1.8 Auris, it'll go full EV under 45mph.

Motorway mpg is better than I was expecting for a 1.8 petrol engine - set the cruise to a true 70 and it's in the low 50s, which isn't far off my old VAG TDI.

The Corolla has a newer generation of hybrid engine, higher full EV speed and slightly more economical. I actually have the Tourer Sport which is heavier than the hatch back and the MPG suffers plus has 17" alloys. In the 2 weeks of having the car I did a 1000 miles trip, mostly Motorway then A roads and averaged 59ish but this was while I was running the car in and taking it easy. Also used the adaptive cruise control so stuck at the speed limits. Doing the same trip in the Auris was 40mpg and a mk4 Golf TDI was high 50s.

What I have noticed is the battery never runs flat and is always topped up from half way, not sure why but have been told its to protect the battery but then why confuse the consumer rather than just change the visual and make the battery look flat!

Back
Top Bottom