4790K Instability OC

Associate
So Hi I am currently overclocking a 4790K and am struggling to get a 100% stable oc on it, I have up to 4.6GHz stable and am about 90% stable at 4.8GHz and probably 70-85% stable at 4.9, any ideas on ways to increase stability? Currently have a ton of Thermal Headroom but yeah struggling to get stable.

Specs
Intel i7 4790K, Delidded and using Liquid Metal on both sides of IHS
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard
32GB Kinsgton DDR3 Savage rated for 1866MHz but running stable at 2133MHz
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G
MSI GT 1030 OC Edition
Thermaltake Smart DPS G 700W 80+Bronze PSU
NZXT H500 Case
3x Noctua Industrial 3000RPM NF-A14 as Intakes
1x Noctua Industrial 3000RPM NF-F12 as Exhaust
Windows 10 Pro For Workstations Ver 1903, Build 18363.535

Associate
To be honest, you are probably at the limit of what your particular piece of silicon can do.
All you can really try is extra voltage, but obviously you can only go so far in that direction.

My old 4770K did 4.5 no problem, but never got stable over that, no matter what I did, despite temperatures not being an issue.

Associate
OP
TBH it is right on the cusp of stable, just a matter of honing in on it as I do firmly believe it can get to 4.8/4.9 as i almost have 4.8 stable using OCCT as a stress test for worst case scenario, kinda my work machine so want it to be running fast as possible but also stable

Soldato
I would knock the RAM back down to XMP speeds to start with to help with stability.

What are you running to test stability?

Also what is the second GPU for?

Associate
OP
second GPU is for extra screens, mainly just to keep all performance of my 1080 localised to what its task is, and so far the ram hasnt shown any signs of instability whilst OC,and currently into linpack on OCCT, was doing the OCCT test but it finally passed, and hopefully in about 3 mins i have confirmation of stability

Permabanned
It may be the fact you are running 32GB of Memory and at 2133mhz, AFAIR these chips do not really benefit from ram over 2400mhz so you are OK there but the faster the ram and the more of it the harder it is on the CPU to OC.

I have 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866mhz running at 2000mhz keeping timings the same as before and changing to tighter 1T with no voltage increase.

The 4970K @ 5GHZ but I had given up before when it was easy to get stable to 4.6GHZ with little voltage (adjusted down from the Mobos Auto OC profile) to try and get to 4.8GHZ was hard then after a long gap I went back in and by trial and error and a lot of reading guides changed more settings and voltages till it was stable at 4.8GHZ with little voltage above 4.6GHZ, then I delided and liquid metal both sides to get to 5GHZ with a Noctua D15S+2 fans.

Going by what I ended up with I believe I have a very good sample so won the silicon lottery that time around (had a few wins and a few losses with CPU and GPU over the years).

I have not been in my Bios a long time so cannot remember all the settings but I did not sacrifice the Cache speed like most do to try get to a stable OC it really is Core 5GHZ+Cache 5GHZ (I think that is what it is called, as I said I cannot remember).

Back
Top Bottom