• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD will live stream its 6th Jan CES 2020 press conference

Soldato
I will actually rephrase that to taking one third less time, apologies I am very tired :p. It's 33% less time but a 50% improvement.

That slide either had someone terrible at Maths doing it, or it originally correctly said Intel was 30% slower. Then someone incorrectly just assumed that meant AMD was 30% faster and edited it.

AMD taking 63 minutes instead of Intel's 90 minutes means:

AMD is 43% faster than Intel
and Intel is 30% slower than AMD.

Soldato
Speed = Distance/Time

Intel = 180/90 = 2
AMD = 180/60 = 3

3-2=1.

1 is ~30% of 3.

This is why the slide says 30% faster. You can change 180 to any number you like, the ratio will be the same.

I really don't think you fundamentally understand what is being said here. You are just manipulating the numbers to try and get a third.

I recommend you ask someone who is qualified at Maths and come back to me. It is the easiest calculation that someone could do.

Lisa Su even says the wrong thing.

https://youtu.be/zUeo7kUzn_8?t=3375

She says if you use the Intel chips it will take 30% more time.

The numbers clearly say 90 minutes vs 63 minutes, which is 43% more time.

Soldato
I really don't think you fundamentally understand what is being said here. You are just manipulating the numbers to try and get a third.

If it was 50% faster, they would have claimed it. It isn't, so they didn't. I'm not manipulating anything, it's there in the slide... AMD made the claim, and I'm demonstrating how it's been calculated.

Soldato
If it was 50% faster, they would have claimed it. It isn't, so they didn't. I'm not manipulating anything, it's there in the side... AMD made the claim, and I'm demonstrating how it's been calculated.

What you don't get is that they are wrong. You have been given an answer and you are trying to show me a calculation that arrives at it, no matter how nonsensical it is.

Soldato
Fortunately I have the advantage of being on the panel that discusses what kit we buy from Dell, there is already movement in the company from higher up to look seriously at Epyc. Most Global corporate companies have IT and Finance departments closely linked, and as such money talks, TCO and payback are huge factors when looking at hardware refresh, the more you can save the better the board like it.

Unfortunately we just refreshed a few of our esxi hosts with some newer Intel stuff but it had been in the pipeline for a while, but my boss has been asked to look at Epyc for future upgrades.

If Dell is actually serious about using AMD chips, and I personally am not convinced, especially as they showed off an entry level gaming laptop, but if they are, I can imagine we will swap to them as again the costs should be significantly cheaper than the Intel counterparts.

Remains to be seen tho if Dell actually do anything meaningful, I'm not holding my breath as they are so far in bed with Intel it's tough to see where one starts and the other ends.

I have some Cad workstations I need to replace soon with Xeons in them, would much prefer to put Threadrippers in, and swap what little desktops we have for Ryzens, most of our client base is actually laptops, mostly latitude 7xxx series and some 5xxx series, so if AMD can get into the Latitudes it will be huge for them.

Soldato
Fortunately I have the advantage of being on the panel that discusses what kit we buy from Dell, there is already movement in the company from higher up to look seriously at Epyc. Most Global corporate companies have IT and Finance departments closely linked, and as such money talks, TCO and payback are huge factors when looking at hardware refresh, the more you can save the better the board like it.

Unfortunately we just refreshed a few of our esxi hosts with some newer Intel stuff but it had been in the pipeline for a while, but my boss has been asked to look at Epyc for future upgrades.

If Dell is actually serious about using AMD chips, and I personally am not convinced, especially as they showed off an entry level gaming laptop, but if they are, I can imagine we will swap to them as again the costs should be significantly cheaper than the Intel counterparts.

Remains to be seen tho if Dell actually do anything meaningful, I'm not holding my breath as they are so far in bed with Intel it's tough to see where one starts and the other ends.

I have some Cad workstations I need to replace soon with Xeons in them, would much prefer to put Threadrippers in, and swap what little desktops we have for Ryzens, most of our client base is actually laptops, mostly latitude 7xxx series and some 5xxx series, so if AMD can get into the Latitudes it will be huge for them.

I think Dell will have to. I really like the new XPS13 but it would have to be based on a 7nm Ryzen CPU or I’d look elsewhere.

Where was 5800xt 5900xt 5950xt, sadface

Yes most disappointing but not totally unexpected. (CES 2019 was pretty much an dud as well). :(

It's like this electronics show is held too early into the new year for companies to make any major product announcements.
They appear to prefer E3 which is held mid-year.

All this really means is Nvidia gets at least another 6 months free rein unchallenged on the top end, so we can forget about prices coming down.
The best we can hope for is some discounts on drawing Turing stock levels down when the new RTX 3xxx range does eventually drop.
But Nvidia has no argent need to launch Ampere quickly with just themselves as competition.

So looks like my 1080ti is getting another stay of eviction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom