Red Dead Redemption 2

Soldato
I'm not sure what's wrong with me - I got bored senseless after a few days playing this on PS4. I loved GTAV but this game just feels like hard work and to me isn't enjoyable at all.

I was a bit slow to get into it at the start too, tbh.

My eldest really loves the game and was on and on at me to play it, and getting increasingly exapserated when he kept finding me playing other games in the evening instead. It wasn't until possibly ten hours in that I started getting more engaged with it, but now I'm on the final chapter I think it's the best game I've played in a good while, and maybe evern one of my top ten of all time.

That is rather a long time for it to take a game to worm its way into one's affections, though. To be honest, I'd almost certainly have given up on it had my lad not kept on (and on and on) at me about how great it is!

It does remain kind of slow throughout (excepting some increasingly frantic, but fairly short-lived, shootouts as the story progresses), but once I got used to the pace of it, the game mechanics and some of the opaque systems the slow tasks became a lot more enjoyable.

I think the star of the game by far is the world itself. It looks stunning, and it feels more full of life and real people and animals than any other game world I've experienced. You don't really see this at first, but as you work your way out from around your first camp and its nearby town, this does become more evident.

I can definitely see how the slow pace would put a lot of people off, though.

Soldato
I can definitely see how the slow pace would put a lot of people off, though.
I think part of it is "Open World Overload" and also the fact that I really didn't care about any of the characters in RDR2 much at all, especially in camp. Comparing RDR2 to GTAV in the early game is night and day.

I agree that the world is amazing to look at, but the game manages to feel like a chore at least to me with all the gun cleaning, horse brushing, camp management etc. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have some time but on PC. The frame rate on PS4 is horrible and another gripe I had.

I've gone back to playing shorter, more "on-rails" stuff with an ending recently and it's a real tonic. :)

Soldato
I think part of it is "Open World Overload" and also the fact that I really didn't care about any of the characters in RDR2 much at all, especially in camp. Comparing RDR2 to GTAV in the early game is night and day.

I agree that the world is amazing to look at, but the game manages to feel like a chore at least to me with all the gun cleaning, horse brushing, camp management etc. Maybe I'll give it another go when I have some time but on PC. The frame rate on PS4 is horrible and another gripe I had.

I've gone back to playing shorter, more "on-rails" stuff with an ending recently and it's a real tonic. :)

Yeah, I interspersed my early time in the game with shorter, more focused games as well. I'd do like 45 minutes in RDR2, get a bit bored and then spend hours having a blast in Sunset Overdrive or Titanfall 2. That probably did help with the early feelings of aimlessness with the game. At some point all the other games fell by the wayside, though, and I've played nothing other than RDR2 for my past 60 gaming hours (oh - barring an hour or so in BL2 co-op...).

But I totally agree that GTA games feel like they get up to speed much more quickly. Everything in RDR2 starts off agonisingly slowly! This includes development of the characters. I did end up with positive feelings towards Hosea, Lenny and Sadie, and negative feelings towards one or two others - but it took a while!

There's definitely more to the world than how it looks, though, in my opinion. I've had some pretty interesting and surprising encounters with NPCs in the world, and briefly got involved in the goings-on around them. I don't remember anything like that in GTA games. In GTA, all the people populating the cities are just cookie-cutter place-fillers. In RDR2 I did get close to feeling like they were really people who I just happened to be encountering. Maybe not all the time, but often enough to give a sense of a living and populated world.

And the chores you mention... well you don't have to do them - not that often, anyway. I only ever clean my gun when I'm stocking up with ammo or upgrading things at the gunsmith anyway (when you get leather wraps and a perk or two weapons don't degrade that quickly). You don't have to brush your horse if you don't want to (the horse stamina core will degrade more quickly, but that's not a big deal). I only brush my horse for cosmetic reasons now when I can be bothered to (it's a white Arabian so it does show up the dirt!). Camp management you can totally ignore if you want to. I haven't done any camp chores or fetch quests since the first couple of chapters, and I don't think there are any really negative effects for not upgrading things or making sure supplies are topped up (you might miss out on some crafting options, but otherwise people will just be a bit more surly).

Of course, it's perfectly possible you'll just find you don't like the characters or the story or any of the activities available in the world (hunting, fishing, stranger missions, side quests, gambling, robberies, bounties, etc.). In that case, it's probably not going to get any better :)

Soldato
Just checked the amount of time I've played - 157 hours and I'm still on chapter 5. Well, there's a xmas holiday well spent....

Soldato
Finally got it finished :). Amazing game from start to finish and ended beautifully.

Here’s wishing they do a rdr1 remaster on pc!

Probably the best looking game I’ve seen to date and the amount of detail is just ridiculous, story is amazing as well.

Had the odd crash on release but since then haven’t had anything for the last 50hrs or so.

There are still a lot of things I want to do but will likely become a time filler, with so many other games I need to start/finish.

Soldato
just had 3 crashes in a row. i deleted the sga files and it happened again no idea whats going on.

Had my first crash today too. Just updating my Nvidia drivers now as a new one is out but it is strange as its been absolutely rock solid for me.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Had my first crash today too. Just updating my Nvidia drivers now as a new one is out but it is strange as its been absolutely rock solid for me.

yeah was fine for me too after i deleted the sga files before and i absolutely hammered this game over the festive period then all of a sudden i get crashes.

Associate
Had GFX STATE ERROR today loading my Story Mode
fixed by running the benchmark before loading up the story
tried accessing the Load Game option from Online mode, resulted an infinite loading screen
what a weird game...

Man of Honour
I am looking forwards to when this game is half the price it is now lol, would love to play it, but to tight to pay full price

I must admit, I very very rarely pay as much for a title, I bought this on day one for 54.99 and its not often I pay that much. Mind you, I have now got a played time of around 300 hours, so in the end thats worked out as 18p an hour, so I'm fine with it :D

Soldato
I really like the game but I got the idea it was going to be some epic adventure but it seems like the total opposite.
It feels like a really chilled out cowboy simulator (I'm on chapter 3 atm).

Very nice vibe to it, the overall plot atm is meh, the little stories are beautiful, the attention to detail in the world is amazing.

Associate
I've just bought it today from cdkeys for £29.99, which I thought was a good price. Though I also bought the Witcher 3 in the steam sale, so not sure which to start first now :D

Soldato
I've just bought it today from cdkeys for £29.99, which I thought was a good price. Though I also bought the Witcher 3 in the steam sale, so not sure which to start first now :D

Witcher 3 first.

I've completed it and playing RDR now. Witcher 3's story is more captivating. And RDR2's gameplay mechanics are much better than TW3 (horse riding, hunting, navigation, livability of the world) so going back will feel like going really back.

Despite RDR2 being better, TW3 is amazing so I wouldn't want you to feel like it feels dated just because RDR2 is an open world game on steroids.

Associate
Any 1 played with the filters below is me trying to remove the blur
https://imgur.com/IrChjMU
IrChjMU

aNKjzMU

Back
Top Bottom