Whats your 'can't believe it still works' story?

Soldato
Replied to another thread and got thinking:

Got a 486 DX2 66 board and cpu from some retiring electronics guy, was in an open barrel at the side of the workshop outside for 20 years, fired up and works fine still.

Dropped an 1155 motherboard with thermalright Ultra 120 still attached down a flight of about 15 stairs, not a lost cap or bent heatpipe! worked fine.

Dropped a glass of diet coke down my HAF XB, had dual Radeon 6970s at the time and a high end ivy bridge or Sandybridge, can't remember. Shorted out and went dead, dried everything and tried the next day, nothing was lost!

Dropped a 1tb 2.5" WD Blue on the floor about 4 feet (laminate) about 2 years ago, was for a client but i replaced it with a new one and kept it for myself. Stuck it in a pc and tested the hell out of it, came back clean. Stuck it in my ps3 and still going strong.

Dropped a 150GB WD raptor X and the plex cracked, not right through. Tested it a few months back and not a bad sector in sight.

My late dad left a bunch of about 20 2tb hdds outside, not in bags and uncovered, got rained on etc.. he needed space on the table and knew nothing about pc hardware. 16 still work in a Freenas NAS after about 7yrs-ish? The other 4 are around somewhere and still work afaik.

Man of Honour
Not that crazy but I had a 800x600 full colour CRT made by Wyse in 1984 that was still working as well as the day it was new in 2019 when I pulled it out of storage prior to moving in April - I think it got chucked when we moved but not 100% on that. Had kept it just as a novelty really as the **** thing seemed to be bullet proof - spent a few years in a loft that killed several other electronics devices, a year in a damp garage and other times in a shed, etc.

A BBC Micro which I got 2nd hand in 1986 is still going strong to this day. The 14" CRT Cub monitor went bang in 2011 though, the tripler went which means a blurred image. So nowadays, I use the Beeb on a modern HDMI monitor via a scan converter.

Not as impressive but my Samsung SII from 2011 which I keep as a spare and was still working as of last week.

My Yamaha PSR27 (keyboard) from 1990 is still working, although the contacts under the rubber buttons are a bit stiff now.

Still got a Sony tape recorder from 1996 and a VHS player (year unknown) which I still use now to convert video tapes to MP4 files using a SCART to USB interface and a PC running OBS.

Permabanned
Stowaway/Walkman from '84, with some cassettes mostly from the early 90s.

E: I'm tired and culturally confused.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kinda tricky, oldest thing i have is a pocket watch from ~1860 which works and keeps relatively decent time.

Probably more current is i still have the soldering iron from the real robots magazine series back in the day. I still use it regularly today. Surprising as it wasnt exactly top notch kit for any era but it gets the job done.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I literally pulled my kingston thumb drive out of the tumble dryer the other day... I need to check if it still works but I'm assuming that much heat would have killed it.

Man of Honour
A sony radio alarm clock from 1981.

My 25 year old car.

The garage remote fob which my wife put in the washing machine.

Also given how unreliable my family have all found iphones to be... I'm amazed my daughters one month old iphone 11 still hasn't developed a fault.

Soldato
I had an Amstrad CPC464 and Amiga 1200 that both worked fine until a few years ago when I had to have a ruthless clear-out of the house.

Also amazed that my car (2002) is still going strong. I've only had to change the coil pack and get a few not too serious bits fixed - almost got rid a few times but I decided to drive it into the ground - in the grand scheme of things it's been good value for money.

Permabanned
My Nokia 3210, purchased in 1999 and I can still turn it on now. I put a new battery in it in 2018 to get the most life out of it.

still turns on, I can still send texts via it no problem and play snake. Condition is outstanding with not a single mark on it.

Associate
Ipod classic, 5th generation.

Purchased well over a decade ago and to say it continues to see heavy use would be an understatement! I have maxed out the 80gb and would dearly like to upgrade to a 160gb. Silly prices new though, and I haven't yet brought myself to trust in a refurb.

Last edited:
Soldato
A Tetley Tea cup that still plays the tune when you pick it up, when I say 'plays the tune' I mena it tries....it still makes noise, which I find impressive :p

no idea how old but must be ancient

My Nokia 3210, purchased in 1999 and I can still turn it on now. I put a new battery in it in 2018 to get the most life out of it.

still turns on, I can still send texts via it no problem and play snake. Condition is outstanding with not a single mark on it.

Nice!

Do you remember how much you paid for the handset, even if just a rough answer? My first phone was more basic and a lot bigger - Nokia 5110. That was £60 on PAYG in mid-2000. So not only I was late on the bandwagon being year 2000, but the 5110 was also quite an old handset for that era. Most people got their 5110 in 1997/8. It did the trick though for a few years, then I finally got a contract phone in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom