What watch do you wear?

Soldato
So I popped to Bluewater tonight and tried all three on. The Tissot Le Locle wasn’t for me, found the dial a bit too fussy.

The Visodate is a lovely thing, but it just seemed a bit too bland! Really like the look of it but it didn’t blow me away.

The Cocktail Time is lovely, the dial really pops and seems to change colour depending on the light. The strap however is horrid! What a terrible choice by Seiko! :eek:

I’ve got a pricematch with John Lewis for £235 so I’m going to go for it. Do any of you that own the Cocktail Time have any pictures of it with different straps? I’m thinking a dark brown leather would look good.

Associate
The Accutron from 1969 I picked up last month. It's absolutely stunning, basically looks like old-stock to me. The dial is textured, and the second hand is the smoothest you can get on any watch. It's a bit small for "modern times" but makes a perfect dress watch.

mV7FvrB.jpg

Associate
Thanks @DXP55 it really is a looker. Apparently that model existed previously without the date (original movement 214) this one is a very early movement 218D. Perhaps if I ever find a 214 with that dial (and also, no crown!) I'd buy it, as I think the case is very good looking too.

Anyway, I also bought a watch for my best friend, who's been agonising forever to get his 'first watch' -- I bought him the watch I wear the most, the Citizen AT2340-56L -- found it at £179, which is a steal for a full titanium watch, Saphire, Eco-Drive chronograph, with date. I've been wearing mine for years now -- bought it as I wanted something *solid* after disabling two Automatic watches by doing clay pigeon shooting. This one has been fantastic.

So I hope it works out for him, very low maintenance watch, still look very good in most occasions. Lume is not "outstanding" BUT is perfectly readable in complete darkness at 5am, so basically it does the job pretty well.

Vlhmz88.jpg

Soldato
So I popped to Bluewater tonight and tried all three on. The Tissot Le Locle wasn’t for me, found the dial a bit too fussy.

The Visodate is a lovely thing, but it just seemed a bit too bland! Really like the look of it but it didn’t blow me away.

The Cocktail Time is lovely, the dial really pops and seems to change colour depending on the light. The strap however is horrid! What a terrible choice by Seiko! :eek:

I’ve got a pricematch with John Lewis for £235 so I’m going to go for it. Do any of you that own the Cocktail Time have any pictures of it with different straps? I’m thinking a dark brown leather would look good.

Lee, could you tell me more about this pricematch? That's a crazy price. I've looked at this watch before but decided against it but I really want it now. Plus, I love cocktails so it makes sense to me. That price seems a steal but can't find it for that price anywhere, can you help out?

Edit - I've just seen the extra 10% off code on Hillier's website. Good enough for me, I reckon I'll have that! Plus, Topcashback have Hillier's at 3.6% so if I get that that's another £8. £226.54 sounds like a bargain. Where's my credit card?

Edit 2 - Bought, without even trying on. I'm sure it'll be fine... Remember to post any strap suggestions!

Last edited:
Soldato
I was just writing a reply and noticed that you managed to find it! So cheap isn’t it :) I was surprised that John Lewis matched it with the discount code. I would have just ordered from Hilliers but I’m very close to John Lewis so click and collect made sense.

I’ve ordered a few Hirsch straps so will post pics when they arrive! :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The strap however is horrid! What a terrible choice by Seiko!

Seiko have that about them. Totally weird decisions on various models. The Turtle for example has an atrocious bezel. The ratchet is virtually non existent and it has a lot of rubbery play. The strap is silicone with a stainless steel keeper however and is truly excellent! Just seems like different departments made various parts of the design and someone else put them together lol.

Caporegime

Yeah not a fan of Le Locle either, Visodate is nice little retro one though. Have you taken a look at Hamilton watches - same sort of entry level <£1000 price bracket, same parent group etc.. perhaps look at the Jazzmaster.

Also, if you're after a dress watch - check out the German ones from the likes of Stowa and Steinheart (the former are a bit more expensive and made to order). Also Nomos - though that is getting a bit further away in terms of price bracket.

Soldato
Ended up buying x2 of these. I keep breaking watches at work so i've gone for some cheap yet good looking watches from China, £3.02 each and because I bought 2 it was under £6 including delivery.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

pkn

pkn

Associate
Really liking my new Panerai PAM683 42mm Submersibie. Changed the rubber strap to a leather one with blue stitching.

raW3bY9.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Got the ‘Cocktail Time’ today. Very happy with it! The dial is stunning. Immediately swapped out the strap for a Hirsch Louisiana look which I personally think looks lovely, not to everyone’s tastes I’m sure. Bargain for £235! :D
(I haven’t set the time or date yet!)

tjQGpzb.jpg
q8syjwn.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Did some watch photography today as had a spare evening :cool:

UffnjAR.jpg

NDZAC9T.jpg

vdsusXz.jpg

HxCo8Jw.gif

The Turtle's lume is good only initially, but it falls off fairly quickly (couple of minutes) whereas the Marloe retains it for far longer. The Oyster's lume is like what Longines used to be like couple of years ago. Quite dim even when charged.

Back
Top Bottom