Neil Peart passed away

Soldato
Totally gutting. Also wrote the lyrics for Rush. As I get older I get sad when people like this pass away. It felt a bit fake until I realised that they literally have an impact on the world with their art.

Moving Pictures on tomorrow morning I think.

Associate
Am feeling empty. I was already a drummer when I discovered Rush, but Peart decided for me what kind of drummer I wanted to be.

Somewhere in a box is a tape of Exit Stage Left that I virtually wore out listening on my Dad's Walkman. There are dropouts after every big drum fill where I rewound repeatedly to try and work out how the hell he was playing what he was playing.

I heard the news sitting in Washington Square Park in Manhattan on the last day of a vacation. Now sitting in a bar, with a beer, feeling empty.

Cheers Neil, here's to you.

Associate
@CGrieves Have one for me.

Roger that. Ordered.

2112 came on the jukebox, they got all the way to Soliloquy then stopped and replaced with country and western. Thirty seconds later, that was stopped and La Villa Strangiato came on. Clearly a Rush fan behind the bar. I shed tears and drummed along on the table. Luckily in the US, public displays of emotion are virtually encouraged :)

Soldato
I remember my dad telling me to "listen to this" and putting on his vinyl copy of All the world's a Stage, going straight to the end of Working Man and turning the volume up on the solo LOUD. 20 years later I still put it on and marvel at it.

Soldato
****. Another hero from my formative years gone.

A classmate lent me his copy of Fly By Night (along with various threats of what he’d do if I scratched it) as an introduction into good rock music after hearing me (Two Tone/Ska fan) say I couldn’t stand prog rock or the “metal by numbers” that Judas Priest and The Scorpions were churning out.

I don’t think I ever thanked him anywhere near enough for showing me that there was a whole world of rock music out there beyond the odd song that scraped into the Top 40.

I also hadn’t realised that Rush had released a bunch of new albums since the last one I listened to in the late 1980s. Spotify is going to be busy today.

Back
Top Bottom