US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Soldato
And so the blame game begins. Those military personnel are screwed.

There's no blame game. Iran have accepted it's their fault. They may be trying to cite other external factors but they have owned up.

I don't think the average joe would understand the internal turmoil an event like this would bring to Iran.

There exists a system Vali-ye faqih (Guardian Jurist). This is more so in Iran (khomeni) vs Iraq (sistani). The Iran has a democratically selected government however it's actions are overseen by The Ayatullah to ensure it is in line with Islamic ethics.

To simplify. An event like this would have the nationalists denying everything. Once the truth comes out Islamically the dead are owed compensation, apology and the guilty trialled. Remember that the different Ayatullah are Pope figures to people not only in Iran but across the world (shia and some non shia). They can easily lose credibility depending on their responses.

You can now see the head of state Rouhani mentioning all of the above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Iran lied about it for days, cleared the crash site and was refusing to hand over the black boxes. Do you think this is a good response?
Ah good old western media propaganda and this is why people dont believe anything nowadays.

The reporting on Iran refusing to hand over black boxes was incorrect from the very start...the media just decided to play on it to drum up the good old anti middle east retoric

Soldato
If they were going to hand over the black boxes why did they lie about missile strike, as soon as the black box had been inspected it would instantly prove it was a missile strike.

To keep up the "charade" they would have had to keep the black boxes out of the equation.

Soldato
I do agree that the fact they finally admitted it is a positive move, I’d like to see them get a little credit for that, hopefully for the sake of those that died it would be great to see some good come from such a terrible accident.
They didn’t have any choice, they lied, tried to cover it up but got found out. Tell me where the credit is in that sort of behaviour.

Soldato
Ah good old western media propaganda and this is why people dont believe anything nowadays.

The reporting on Iran refusing to hand over black boxes was incorrect from the very start...the media just decided to play on it to drum up the good old anti middle east rhetoric

They said they wouldn't hand the boxes over "to the US for analysis" - so a half truth. They also said the FDR was badly damaged so info may be lost - thats just a straight lie as the images show.

Man of Honour
I'm not a fan of the Iranian regime. But at least they have owned up to the mistake, which is more than can be said of the Russians shooting down the Malaysian plane over Ukraine. Everyone knew the likely cause was Iran shooting it down so there was little point in denying it.

Caporegime
RT has some detailed info:

A top Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) officer has revealed that the Ukrainian jet was mistaken for an incoming cruise missile and that the commander of the anti-aircraft unit had only 10 seconds to make the decision.

“After hearing about the crash of the Ukrainian plane, I wished to die”, Hajizadeh said during a press conference on Saturday.

The commander explained that the incident had occurred as the country was bracing for potential US strikes and that the “likelihood of conflict” between the two nations has been “unprecedented” since the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

According to an early assessment, the Ukrainian plane was erroneously identified as an incoming cruise missile, which resulted in the tragedy.

The commander of the anti-aircraft unit had sought confirmation for the launch from his superiors, but experienced communication problems and had to make the decision –which turned out to be wrong– on his own. The officer only had 10 seconds to make the decision, Hajizadeh added.

(Source).

Still curious to know what weapon they used.

Soldato
I accidentally forgot to put the bin out the other night, you dont accidentally shoot down a plane, wtf.

How on earth has this happened. I am lost for words.

It could be intentional, they may have thought it was Americans on board instead of Canadians but it's not difficult to imagine a mistake.

The place was on high alert and they had around 30sec to make a decision and maybe there was a communication problem. What's difficult to understand about that?

Soldato
It could be intentional, they may have thought it was Americans on board instead of Canadians but it's not difficult to imagine a mistake.

The place was on high alert and they had around 30sec to make a decision and maybe there was a communication problem. What's difficult to understand about that?

It's incompetence at the highest level no other excuse.

Of course we have Trump to partly blame for this due to putting them on tenterhooks in the first place.

Caporegime

An AA battery right next to an airport decided a slow moving 737 making a scheduled departure could be a cruise missile? Sounds pretty retarded.

Soldato
But none of this would have happened if Trump wasn't a maniac in the first place.

Just pick a different spot on the time line and the cause and effect get flipped. Anyone can play this game:

I remembered driving the road where he was killed. I remembered the time I spent at the recently besieged U.S. Embassy in Baghdad. And, I remembered the friends I lost to IEDs, particularly to the Explosively Formed Penetrators, or EFPs.

I remembered that Gen. Soleimani led the effort that resulted in the deaths of my friends.

Iranian political and military leadership, including Gen. Soleimani, neglected one of the most ancient maxims in the history of warfare: know thy enemy.

President Trump is not the type of American politician to which Iran's leaders had become accustomed over the past 40 years. This president actually did what he said he would do. U.S. policy vis-à-vis Iraq, Iran and the greater Middle East changed with the new administration.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trump-iran-stand-down-navy-seal-jack-carr.amp

Back
Top Bottom