Driving an R34 GTR / MK4 Supra / R35 GTR

Soldato
I was thinking the same, I'll never forget the huge let down driving my schoolday hero turned out to be, a Ford Sierra RS 500 Cosworth - running 500+ BHP - massive turbo lag, sounded awful, harsh ride, no refinement to speak of, you felt more of a passenger than a driver when the turbo eventually spooled up how they fetch such crazy prices these days beats me.

On the other hand though, one of my favorite hero cars remains after driving a few the e30 M3 slow by modern standards but what a wonderful driving experience, they got them so right.

I'd love an afternoon in an R34, never driven one but had a ride in a few modified ones years back, leagues ahead of the Cosworth Sierra's, and they look fantastic.

The Nissan that left an indelible mark on my mind was the Sunny GTI-R bonkers things that you just don't see any more.

This quote puts one in good perspective.

https://hyperchips.co.uk/forgotten-classics-the-nissan-sunny-gti-r/

Enjoy OP whichever you pick, and to do it in Japan..... :cool:

Cars like the Nissan Sunny GTI-R and the Ford Cosworths are what the Golf R wish it could be. Quick cars, but also with character :p

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Loved my Golf R, technically very good, but the thing it lacked was indeed any sort of character.

Soldato
I would highly, highly recommend going for one of the fun2drive tours. It’s the more expensive option but it’s very well run and incredibly enjoyable. I wanted to drive 2 cars so I did a short comparative drive (30 mins) in an FD RX7 and then the full Ultimate Hakone tour in an NSX. With hindsight I would’ve gone the other way round as the twin turbos and power steering of the RX7 was better suited to the tight and twisty roads, both were brilliant though.

Getting there isn’t difficult, just a bit long. It’s a single bus ride from Shinjuki station, takes two hours but stops literally outside the location. Keep in mind that Omoshiro isn’t particularly close to any train stations. Also Hakone is where you want to be going anyway for that true Initial D experience so that drive out would be the same anyway.

The tour was great, our group was split in to two so I was in the NSX, with an AE86 and R34 GTR. You can ask them to pick up the pace if you feel it’s a little slow but frankly they don’t hang about anyway, know the roads inside out and have more talent than me. The roads are literally straight out of Initial D, they even print out shots from the anime to show you which roads were depicted in the different battles etc. I really don’t think I would have had anywhere near the same experience or driven as hard as that if I just rented a car and went off on my own.

Out of the cars you're looking at I would probably go for the R34 GTR but it's a big car for those roads. The AE86 and R34 in my group were being driven by a couple so they swapped halfway through the day, they seemed to enjoy both cars a lot but preferred the AE86 as you could use a lot more of the power, more of the time.

I was obsessed with getting an RX7 before that trip but it cemented that even further, to the point that I ended up finally buying an FD last year.

A few pics from the day:
w388AZT.jpg
9mT1nQw.jpg
ks0J3tR.jpg
iaHNagd.jpg
M0QMhH4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I would highly, highly recommend going for one of the fun2drive tours. It’s the more expensive option but it’s very well run and incredibly enjoyable. I wanted to drive 2 cars so I did a short comparative drive (30 mins) in an FD RX7 and then the full Ultimate Hakone tour in an NSX. With hindsight I would’ve gone the other way round as the twin turbos and power steering of the RX7 was better suited to the tight and twisty roads, both were brilliant though.

Getting there isn’t difficult, just a bit long. It’s a single bus ride from Shinjuki station, takes two hours but stops literally outside the location. Keep in mind that Omoshiro isn’t particularly close to any train stations. Also Hakone is where you want to be going anyway for that true Initial D experience so that drive out would be the same anyway.

The tour was great, our group was split in to two so I was in the NSX, with an AE86 and R34 GTR. You can ask them to pick up the pace if you feel it’s a little slow but frankly they don’t hang about anyway, know the roads inside out and have more talent than me. The roads are literally straight out of Initial D, they even print out shots from the anime to show you which roads were depicted in the different battles etc. I really don’t think I would have had anywhere near the same experience or driven as hard as that if I just rented a car and went off on my own.

Out of the cars you're looking at I would probably go for the R34 GTR but it's a big car for those roads. The AE86 and R34 in my group were being driven by a couple so they swapped halfway through the day, they seemed to enjoy both cars a lot but preferred the AE86 as you could use a lot more of the power, more of the time.

I was obsessed with getting an RX7 before that trip but it cemented that even further, to the point that I ended up finally buying an FD last year.
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been in the UK for a week seeing family. That looks awesome, it's definitely changed my opinion of that company. I'll have a more serious look into it and if the NSX is a manual then I'll probably get that instead (the one from the company I was looking at was auto). With these tours do they stop driving at all? My plan was to go near to Mount Fuji, I've not really looked into it yet but there is one road there called Hakone Skyline which is supposedly the best road in Japan but I'd like to stop at some points and take pictures / eat food etc.

Soldato
Yes mate the NSX is manual. The tour I did stopped three times I think, once for lunch at a cafe on one of the mountains, once by a lake that’s name has escaped me and another time before the Mazda Turnpike (aka Hakone Turnpike). There are a couple of different tours, I think another one stops at a race track and another may go closer to Mt. Fuji. The mountain is often covered by cloud so it’s a bit of pot luck as to whether or not you’ll get the view, when I went I wasn’t so lucky. They do also offer a pure rental service but I don’t think it’s particular cheap, the tour is better value.

Back
Top Bottom