Budget Upgrade. Most appropriate processor for my new graphics card?

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade on the cheap, spending up to about £100 per component, from my obsolete computer to a slightly more relevant one.

I would like to be able to use modern game-development platforms such as Unity, Photoshop, 3D editing tools like Blender, video editing software. I don't need to be able to do any of this on a professional level, only for entry-level / education and making low res videos. Trying to do this kind of stuff is currently possible but slows my machine down allot, especially if I try and do multiple things at once. I also like gaming, but do not currently desire to play anything that was made in the last several years.

I know there are many reasons for a computer to be slow but I feel its time to upgrade it anyway.

I'm mostly looking for suggestions on SSD's, and a processor that will help me to use the full potential of my new graphics card. I'm nearly maxed out on my current hard drive. I had to delete my pron. The size of the new SSD would depend on weather I'd use it just for the operating system and perhaps a few select programs, or for all large programs and games.

Any other advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Current PC
8GB
AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.20GH
1TB HDD
GTX 970 (already upgraded from AMD Radeon HD 6670)
Windows 7
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M LE

Possible upgrade
Keep ram the same
0.5TB-1TB SSD
Ryzan 3 3200G?
Ubuntu (+ windows reformatted for a clean slate)

Man of Honour
no chance.
if you want to change the cpu - you'll have to change the mobo and the ram as well
and seeing as you already have a decent budget gpu - getting a 3200g is a waste of money as you're not going to use the integrated gpu

what i'd get would be:
Ryzen 1600 AF part number: YD1600BBAFBOX USD 110 inc shipping from USA
and
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £173.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

would be around £250 which i know is overbudget, but getting the 6c12t cpu is much more worth it than a 4c4t cpu

Associate
OP
no chance.
if you want to change the cpu - you'll have to change the mobo and the ram as well
and seeing as you already have a decent budget gpu - getting a 3200g is a waste of money as you're not going to use the integrated gpu

what i'd get would be:
Ryzen 1600 AF part number: YD1600BBAFBOX USD 110 inc shipping from USA
and
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £173.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

would be around £250 which i know is overbudget, but getting the 6c12t cpu is much more worth it than a 4c4t cpu

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't put much thought into the motherboard but I understand now of its importance.

Regarding RAM, I was struggling to find product information on my computer, but I've now gone and dag through my emails and found that what I'm currently using is:
Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 8GB Kit (4GBx2) (DDR3, 1600 MT/s, PC3-12800, DIMM, 240-Pin)

By the looks of it, the upgrade would double the RAM speed. Would that make a significant difference? And/or is it an issue of compatibility? (And/or making the most out of my other upgrades?)

Edit: I just stumbled across this "bundle" which, unless I am mistaken? just so happens to be the same processor and motherboard you recommended.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Moth...176622&hash=item445073c487:g:L~0AAOSwf9teEGiT

Last edited:
Associate
For CPU upgrade...
Gonna need a much higher budget for new kit, SH might just get some decent stuff.

An ssd prob the best thing to get that will make a difference and you dont need a mega fast expensive one.
I wouldnt wast money on the memory or owt else as to be honest the cpu is so slow its not worth it.

Man of Honour
Regarding RAM, I was struggling to find product information on my computer, but I've now gone and dag through my emails and found that what I'm currently using is:
Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 8GB Kit (4GBx2) (DDR3, 1600 MT/s, PC3-12800, DIMM, 240-Pin)

By the looks of it, the upgrade would double the RAM speed. Would that make a significant difference? And/or is it an issue of compatibility? (And/or making the most out of my other upgrades?)
you're unfortunately mistaken
the reason why you have to upgrade the whole system is because yours is woefully obsolete
your CPU/mobo is based on AM3 platform
whereas the new AMD processors are based on the AM4 platform - hence incompatible - ie if you get a new CPU you HAVE TO get a new mobo as well
same with the ram - your current ram is ddr3...the ram in the latest platforms use ddr4 - physically incompatible - so again, you have to get new ram

Edit: I just stumbled across this "bundle" which, unless I am mistaken? just so happens to be the same processor and motherboard you recommended.
it's not the same

1600 is not the same as the 1600 AF (or else i would've just said 1600, and wouldn't have said that you needed to get it from the USA, nor listed the exact part number)
same with the mobo the b450 pro4 is much much better than the trash in that listing (A320M-HDV)
there is a method to the madness ;)

Back
Top Bottom