Auros 2TB NVME noise....

Associate
So i plumped up for an Auros 2TB NVME Gen 4 SSD as my main drive,i was expecting an NVME drive to be silent as the SSD's in my old PC were inaudible. Since putting my new PC build together, I have noticed that there is an audible sound coming from the NVME SSD. It's very low but can still be heard even above the case fans. It sounds similar to a normal HDD drive accessing data but faster and more high pitched. Almost like an electrical buzz/crackle. It's definitely the NVME SDD and it's becoming annoying.

Anyone else notice this from their NVME drive? or anyone else with the same model report a similar thing?

Associate
OP
It's definitely not coil whine, i've checked the fans/gpu/pump and on silent with the fans on low you can hear it when accessing disk content. It's definitely when you are accessing the drive.

Soldato
That's a new one on me

Got 3 x M2 drives
Totally silent even if heavy data transfer to/from /between all of them at once
Though guess being an old fogey I don't hear high pitch noises so well now
Could it be expansion noise from the M2 heatsink getting warm?
Though not heard of that to be honest

Sgarrista
Commissario
It's definitely not coil whine, i've checked the fans/gpu/pump and on silent with the fans on low you can hear it when accessing disk content. It's definitely when you are accessing the drive.

I had this on an old gigabyte board, whenever it was accessing sata data it caused a high pitched noise. I found a glob of hot glue gun glue on the chipset calmed it down.

Associate
OP
I had this on an old gigabyte board, whenever it was accessing sata data it caused a high pitched noise. I found a glob of hot glue gun glue on the chipset calmed it down.
So it could be something on the board? I sooke to Overclockers today and they suggested moving the NVME drive to the other m2 slot and testing but they agreed that it is strange that I am getting this kind of sound from the drive. Would be good to know if there are any other Auros M2 owners who can confirm whether their should be noise or not.

Associate
Only had the issue with my GPU when running a specific benchmark. Don't know why, never had/noticed in game or during heavier benchmarks. Never noticed on previous GPUs, or M.2/NVME.

Associate
OP
I have fitted 20+ of these drives in the last month or so.. From 500Gb - 2Tb with no issues or sound at all. Maybe a faulty drive or M.2 connector?
Well I'm running out of options, so I could ask for the drive to be replaced. Their are two M2 slots, it's in the first slot, 2nd is slightly obscured by the GPU so not sure it will fit in there.

Associate
OP
OK so I *think* I might have figured it out. I have a Thermaltake Water 3.0 for my AIO cooler, I had been noticing that the CPU idle temps were higher than I would have expected and the RGB for the pump isn't working, which I'm talking to Overclockers about. The pump is working because it's keeping my temps in the mid to high 40's. When I was listening for the noise again I thought it sounded like it was coming from the pump. So I did a little ill-advised experiment and unplugged the pump for a single boot. Booted, watched the temps of course and I couldn't here the noise. Plugged in the pump header again and the noise is back, so I *think* that's the problem. I've got the wraith cooler that came with the AMD chip, so I'll probably swap out the Thermaltake because it's probably going back anyway due to the RGB not working and do a proper test without worrying about melting my CPU :p

Soldato
OK so I *think* I might have figured it out. I have a Thermaltake Water 3.0 for my AIO cooler, I had been noticing that the CPU idle temps were higher than I would have expected and the RGB for the pump isn't working, which I'm talking to Overclockers about. The pump is working because it's keeping my temps in the mid to high 40's. When I was listening for the noise again I thought it sounded like it was coming from the pump. So I did a little ill-advised experiment and unplugged the pump for a single boot. Booted, watched the temps of course and I couldn't here the noise. Plugged in the pump header again and the noise is back, so I *think* that's the problem. I've got the wraith cooler that came with the AMD chip, so I'll probably swap out the Thermaltake because it's probably going back anyway due to the RGB not working and do a proper test without worrying about melting my CPU :p
Least you figured it out
And wouldn't be first time I had booted up with pump unplugged to listen for something
The block on its own works for a short time
And obviously as you did you watch temps
And make sure shutdown at X temperature is active in the bios
At least you have an air cooler to fall back on
I haven't got one lol
But using 2 pumps for redundancy any way just in case

Soldato
Sounds like typical pump bearings dying. It is often quite difficult in a system to determine slight noises and often easy to dismiss or overlook something. Glad you have got it sorted.

Soldato
NVMe drives and SSDs don't have mechanical parts unless there is a fan shroud.

if there is any kind of hissing noise from electrical circuit board it usually would be either the capacitors or the MOSFETs. but their noise is very distinctive not mechanical in anyway.

now for SSD and NVMe drives, they are low power circuits so it is highly unlikely they have the aforementioned components to make any noises of the kind.

Back
Top Bottom