Fan Cables for Gigabyte B450 Aorus M

Associate
Hi Guys

I have this Mobo... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-b450-aorus-m-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-573-gi.html

1st...The Board has 2 system fan ports and I have 4 fans so would something like this link work or would it be better to get an adapter to run the extra 2 from the PSU?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-b450-aorus-m-socket-am4-ddr4-matx-motherboard-mb-573-gi.html

2nd...The RGB cable for the fans is 4 socket and the board it is 5 pin (12,R,G,B,W). Previously I squeezed it on and it worked (the W pin bent slightly) but on this fan set the socket is wider and I cannot squeeze it on without potentially bending the W pin too much. What can I use to connect it, is there a 4 pin to 5 pin adapter? Am I being stupid? :D

Thanks all

Soldato
1st.... Buy this (I can vouch for it because I have one & it does the job)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £7.73 (includes shipping: £2.74)​

Plug the plug on this splitter onto the CPU fan header on the board. Plug your cooler fan into the 'Master' (it should be labelled on the splitter) & the rest of your fans into the splitter sockets (your fans will draw their power from the SATA power connector) The CPU fan header will control your fans speed (If they are all PWM)

2nd... I'm bit confused. Your Board has both types of RGB LED headers, 2 x 4pin 12V & 1 x 3 pin ARGB 5V. What fans are they to have 5 pin RGB??

Associate
OP
2nd... I'm bit confused. Your Board has both types of RGB LED headers, 2 x 4pin 12V & 1 x 3 pin ARGB 5V. What fans are they to have 5 pin RGB??

Not sure if this link works.
https://static.gigabyte.com/Product/2/6633/2018070514384478_src.png

To plug the RGB fans in you can use the D_LED1 or D_LED2, these are 3 pin but 4 wide as there is a gap. They are labelled V,D,gap,G but this does not control the colour, just stays the same. (Or at least I cannot get it to work)

The other option is LED_C which I believe is the correct one but this is 5 pin labelled 12V,G,R,B,W but my connector is only 4 socket so doesn't fit properly.
I have the same board on another build and the 4 socket fit nicely over the left 4 pins (12V,G,R,B) and the W had nothing on and it worked great and could control LED fine. But this fan set has a 4 socket connector which is wider so cannot squeeze in without bending the W pin.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK my bad.
There is a 12V RGBW header on that board which is for either 12V RGB LED strips or 12V RGB LED and WHITE LED strips (so there are 4 different Colours of LED on those strips & not just 3) I HATE these different RGB Standards! :mad:

Seems to me (If I read the manual right) the Gigabyte did not intend for your type of RGB fan to be plugged into your board. If we (that's me & others on here) knew the make of your RGB fan then perhaps we would advise you on an alternative method of RGB connection if there is one.

Associate
OP
Well just reading through the manual properly :D and it should do both. It says you can connect a 4 pin RGB or a 5 pin RGBW. Maybe the connector is just too wide or not compatible. I will work something out.

Just going back to the splitter, the fans are not PWM so would the regular splitter work without the power breakout, or is this too much load. It will be 3 fans and on the label of the fan it says 0.38A. So 0.38A x 3 :D
Like this..https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-y-splitter-3-fan-10cm-wc-9ak-ek.html

Soldato
Well just reading through the manual properly :D and it should do both. It says you can connect a 4 pin RGB or a 5 pin RGBW. Maybe the connector is just too wide or not compatible. I will work something out.

Just going back to the splitter, the fans are not PWM so would the regular splitter work without the power breakout, or is this too much load. It will be 3 fans and on the label of the fan it says 0.38A. So 0.38A x 3 :D
Like this..https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-cable-y-splitter-3-fan-10cm-wc-9ak-ek.html

Usually can connect a 4 pin
But a standard one
Lot of stuff the manufacturer of fans or led strips use their own version annoyingly meaning you buying an adapter

Soldato
I think boards do have a power limit on fan headers, its usually no more than 10 watts but check your board manual to be certain & the wattage of each fan too. I've run no more than 3 fans of a fan header (They've all been no bigger than 92mm fans) so I don't think that will be a problem.

Soldato
I think boards do have a power limit on fan headers, its usually no more than 10 watts but check your board manual to be certain & the wattage of each fan too. I've run no more than 3 fans of a fan header (They've all been no bigger than 92mm fans) so I don't think that will be a problem.
Usually 1A on fan headers
2A on one's marked as pump/aio
A x V =W
So yeah about 12w on standard one
Usually fans have voltage and amps on the label so multiply those gives watts
Ie 12v x 0.3a would be 3.6 watts

Back
Top Bottom