I3 8100 with 2060S

Associate
I've currently got a 1060 6GB with I3 8100 and I've upgraded the GPU to 2060S.

I'm wondering if the CPU is now going to end up being bottlenecked?

I was thinking of upgrading to I5 9600k but held of for now

Thoughts?

Thanks

Soldato
I've currently got a 1060 6GB with I3 8100 and I've upgraded the GPU to 2060S.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The 9600kf is a bit cheaper than the k or even the 9400f if your budget is really tight.

You could also consider a b450 with a ryzen 5 3600 selling your Intel parts to offset the cost.

Associate
OP
I've looked at the KF version and for the bit extra seemed worth getting the K.

Never really looked into AMD always prefered Intel even with the higher costs....

Man of Honour

Never really looked into AMD always prefered Intel even with the higher costs....

Higher costs, worse performance, worse security than a 1980's Vauxhall Nova all slapped together in a dead end platform. What's not to like right? :D

Also you could be worse in terms of bottleneck, I mean the 8100 isn't going to set your world on fire but it will do the job for a while longer.

Man of Honour
Haha i love your Intel enthusiasm

If you ran the servers and Intel estates I did then i'm sure you would be the same. :) The landscape has changed somewhat significantly over the last 12 months. Intel are no longer the pinnacle of cpu performance and sadly they really aren't offering value anywhere in their product stack, really the only Intel part at this point that an argument can be made for is the 9900k/ks but even then the argument is pretty shallow. In your shoes id honestly stick where I was not investing in the platform, or swap it up entirely.

Soldato

Fire up Task Manager on a separate monitor and check CPU usage when you game. If CPU usage is 100% then the CPU is bottlenecking you.

Which motherboard do you have? Check the compatibility before purchasing and make sure your BIOS is updated.

Associate
OP
Fire up Task Manager on a separate monitor and check CPU usage when you game. If CPU usage is 100% then the CPU is bottlenecking you.

Which motherboard do you have? Check the compatibility before purchasing and make sure your BIOS is updated.

Im currently using MSI A-Pro - i will have to test this tomorrow once the GPU is delivered. Hopefully all is good and no bottleneck, on average what would you say the CPU should operate at in game?

Soldato

The k version is the same as the kf but with integrated graphics which you dont need with a dedicated gpu, I guess the bonus with the k if your gpu fails you can still use the PC but not really for gaming until you get a new gpu.

I personally would go with a b450 and ryzen 5 as it's an excellent CPU with plenty of upgrade options in the future.

Associate
OP
The k version is the same as the kf but with integrated graphics which you dont need with a dedicated gpu, I guess the bonus with the k if your gpu fails you can still use the PC but not really for gaming until you get a new gpu.

I personally would go with a b450 and ryzen 5 as it's an excellent CPU with plenty of upgrade options in the future.
Thanks, keep that in mind, don't quite have the money to replace both CPU and Mobo atm, will see how thw CPU performing with new GPU first

Associate
I have an i3 6100 and an RX480. After a long bit of research and messing around, testing etc, i was able to work out that the i3 was slowing down everything. It's a dual core and pretty old by now. I think you'd do well to upgrade

Associate
OP
I have an i3 6100 and an RX480. After a long bit of research and messing around, testing etc, i was able to work out that the i3 was slowing down everything. It's a dual core and pretty old by now. I think you'd do well to upgrade

Yeah well the misses told me just to do it sp without questioning her i just ordered i5 9600k along with a new monitor and more RAM... i don't think she'll notice the extra few hundred that gone missing

Soldato
Haha i love your Intel enthusiasm
Intel's touted "security" is really at this level:
https://youtu.be/FcWllalgUfo?t=2m28s

Even security feature which was intended to make it absolutely impossible to spy on what process using that feature is doing is possible to circumvent:
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...secrets-by-starving-your-computer-of-voltage/

Combined worst case scenario performance loss from all bubblegum and duct tape fixes to vulnerabilitities must be approaching 50% level.
Desktop/home usage just has managed to avoid bigger performance losses.
But still Intel does their advertising numbers without security fixes.

Soldato
Yeah well the misses told me just to do it sp without questioning her i just ordered i5 9600k along with a new monitor and more RAM...
Awesome six core at time when in end of the year 8 cores/16 threads is completely mainstream courtesy of next-gen consoles.

Intel turned PC Master Race into plain Cash Cow Race and hence consoles are catching up and will be the best thing to happen for PC gaming in long long time.
If Intel had its way we would be no doubt still paying £300 for four cores and with luck might get mighty six cores for like £500...

Associate
OP
Awesome six core at time when in end of the year 8 cores/16 threads is completely mainstream courtesy of next-gen consoles.

Intel turned PC Master Race into plain Cash Cow Race and hence consoles are catching up and will be the best thing to happen for PC gaming in long long time.
If Intel had its way we would be no doubt still paying £300 for four cores and with luck might get mighty six cores for like £500...
Agree compared to AMD prices are steep, and you correct i can't wait for the new Xbox to be released will be getting that too Haha

Should see significant changes in the pc gaming world afterwards hopefullu for the better, for now im happy with the upgrade but no dowbt will be upgrading again in the near future

Back
Top Bottom