Recommended cooler for an AMD 2700X that's getting toasty?

Soldato
Hi guys

I've been really happy with this AMD chip for a long time and with just the stock cooler (saved a lot of pennies in the initial build), but I'm looking to do some HD 1080p encoding for the first time on this chip and I've noticed that is getting really hot 80oC+ so I'm thinking of an aftermarket cooling solution.

I would like:

Either...
Something air cooled that doesn't take up too much room. I've had huge Phantex air coolers before now, I couldn't get my fingers around the case with one of those, but I have upgraded the case since.

Or...
A sealed water cooling unit, I've used the Corsair H50 and H110i before now and been happy with them.

No
I don't want a DIY water solution. I'd bungle it and fry the computer, or myself. Something simple is what I need.

Case
It's going into a Coolermaster Cosmos II case, so space shouldn't be an issue.

Budget
I know what I need isn't going to be cheap and I'd rather buy something really good once that's exceptionally quiet, rather than buying cheaper and upgrading fans etc., later...whatever is recommend really that fits the specs. Having said that, certainly less than £200, less than £170 is even better.

I've been looking round online and much of the info is either from affiliate sites so who knows if it's accurate, or quite out of date now.

Any recommended solutions I can pick up from OCUK would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
If you haven't got Cosmos II yet, I advise not getting one. 200mm fans are notorisusly bad performance because their very low pressure ratings mean they can't overcome resistance to airflow of grill and filter .. and if case does not have good airflow the airflow to coolers is pre-heated by their exhaust which results in the air into them when working hard can easily be 10c, 15c, even 20c higher than room .. and every degree warmer air into cool is is same degrees hotter componet will be.

Soldato
OP
I bought the S version with a brown fan so I can buy the Chromax bits over the coming months because I love buying things for my PC :p

Enjoy, I'm sure you wont be disappointed, if you think its too loud in windows because the CPU is boosting when browsing etc just set a custom fan curve, mine is completely silent in Windows
Ha ha, cheers, I'm sure it'll be great, arriving tomorrow, will get it installed over the next day or so! Cheers for the tip, I may have to look into readjusting fan profiles now this monster is coming!

If you haven't got Cosmos II yet, I advise not getting one. 200mm fans are notorisusly bad performance because their very low pressure ratings mean they can't overcome resistance to airflow of grill and filter .. and if case does not have good airflow the airflow to coolers is pre-heated by their exhaust which results in the air into them when working hard can easily be 10c, 15c, even 20c higher than room .. and every degree warmer air into cool is is same degrees hotter componet will be.

Thanks for the concern doyll, I've had it for over a year now. I haven't noticed any problems with it and the space it affords is crucial with the amount of stuff I have in there. The new CPU cooler is a precaution as I'm finding Handbrake on HD recoding is putting the temps up high, otherwise it runs quite happily.

Associate
I got the artic e34 duo (dual fan) for my Ryzen 3600.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arct...duo-white-cpu-cooler-2-x-120mm-hs-074-ar.html

its a great cooler for £35 and will cool your 2700x sufficiently. Like all fans (whether they be on air cooler, AIO's or custom loos or as case fans) -the cooler is quiet when the fans are running at 40%, is reasonably quiet when the fans are running at 50%, and is noisy when running at 100% fan speed 9but at 100% this cooler shifts much air through - holding hand behind it is very noticeable).

Doing encoding (say with handbrake for making sure your youtube upload is 1080 60fps all the way through) will use all your threads at 100% of the time - which is taxing - if noise is a concern perhaps you may need to consider the dark rock pro 4 (or the noctua alternative).

Associate
I would suggest that you create a custom fan profile in your bios to try and keep your fans quiet when not encoding (say 50% fan speed between 20 and 60ºC and then to ramp up to 100% fan speed between 60 and 65ºC).

Back
Top Bottom