NVMe drive, do i still need to make a 25% free overprovisioning space partition like i do.........

Caporegime
Overprovisioning doesn't really benefit you if you don't fill the drive completely as best I'm aware. It's almost entirely pointless and simply reduces the space available to Windows.

You can just not fill the drive to the max and it achieves exactly the same result.

Soldato
OP
Yeh i think leaving space by not filling up your drive, is the same as Overprovisioning that Samsung magician does, its just that using magician it looks the free space so you cant use it by mistake.

Permabanned
It was "primarily" but not exclusive to SSD's that had no DRAM Cache.

I had the Corsair GT then the GS (newer Toggle Nand Flash) Range in the past and the sizes were 120GB (128) / 240GB (256) / 360GB (384) /480GB (512), the strange one was the 128GB model, it must have been different memory chips as it had a different Firmware Branch (the other were all same each update) and no Overprovisioning as it was actually 128GB not 120GB.

Associate
As I understand it from my research last year, if you want to protect against performance plummeting if your disk gets very full (>95%) then overprovision (if you drive has none built in). If you are never going to reach those levels then is does not matter (as the drive will use any free space, in a partition or otherwise for its background use). It is a bit of a catch 22 as you only need overprovision space if the disk fills but if you do not overprovision you'll have a slightly bigger disk that won't fill up as quick!

Permabanned
On the SandForce Controller SSD's (No OP) the reviews showed that performance would start to go down once the drive was over 50% full, I would not worry if the drive was 60-70% full but would think about a bigger drive then.

Back
Top Bottom