Rebuilding PC advice needed

Associate
Hi all,

about 2 years ago I built my first PC and since then, have only added more Storage so I am still a newbie as far as I am concerned.
I want to redo the internals so I can better arrange the cables and manage them properly.
Is there anything I need to know before I start? I plan on unplugging everything (cables) and then just removing the graphics card for ease. I'm going to leave the RAM and CPU where it is.
Will doing this cause any boot up issues that you can forsee? or should it in theory, just carry on as normal once all is plugged/cabled back up?

Cheers,
Andy

Soldato
If you are not that sure then what I would do is take out one cable at a time, reroute it and plug it back in then do the same for all the remaining cables.

If you do it all properly there shouldn't be any issues, the only issue, if you don't replace the SATA cables the same order could be that you need to go into the bios and re-sellect the first boot device.

Whilst you are in there you might as well give it a good clean, I use a new paint brush and hoover to get rid of dust/cobwebs - take it easy as you don't want to hit any capacitors on the motherboard/graphics card..

Good luck.. :)

Soldato
Good advice already given
My opinion
I use a paint brush too but not one of those nylon bristle ones
Or pinch a make up brush from partner when they are not looking
Those are much softer I prefer those

And photographs first before starting May help just for reference

Associate
yes everything should load back up fine when plugged back in - obviously there is the possibility of not plugging something back in the correct place or fully enough - so if it doesn't work when rebooting give the cables an extra shove.

paint brush technique sounds good.

after 2 yrs it will need a good vacuum clean.

Suspended
I also usually use a vacuum cleaner but I try to destatic everything first. A safer option would be a can of compressed air to just blow everything out there...or a cheaper alternative is a hairdryer from a distance so as to not melt anything - preferably outdoors so it doesn't go everywhere in your room.

Back
Top Bottom