• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Caporegime
Received the bits today and have installed them and done a fresh install. I have downloaded and enabled the 1usmus profile and did the suggested changes in BIOS but should I be on the universal or balanced plan? I'm finding that the fans seem to constantly change speed, it's quite annoying!

edit: 3900x, gigabyte aorus elite (updated to latest bios)

Am sure I'll have more questions soon too heh :p
Universal and set the fan to silent mode in the BIOS. However I ended up putting the stock cooler on my fan controller to keep it silent all the time to stop it revving up and down.

Soldato
On my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro I set the case fan profiles to 40% minimums until 63c, then ramp up to 70% at 70c and 100% at 75c. This will stay silent until you are actually stressing the CPU.

What CPU cooler are you using?

Soldato
On my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro I set the case fan profiles to 40% minimums until 63c, then ramp up to 70% at 70c and 100% at 75c. This will stay silent until you are actually stressing the CPU.

What CPU cooler are you using?

the 360mm Corsair H15oi. I just tried setting it to silent and its even more prominent now :S

Soldato
Think I have fixed it. Downloaded the Gigabyte App which has smart fan included and it enabled me to set a fixed RPM for the case fans but leave the AIO pump on smart fan. Not ramping up like crazy now and sounds a great deal quieter!

For now... XD New build teething problems ah hoy!

Associate
Hi guys just got mine yesterday and it's a seems a little toasty

3900x
X570 gigabyte elite
5700xt
32gb 3200 c16

Idel 40-50
Gaming 60-75
Max load on all cores 81-85

I have a dark rock 4 cpu cooler

Not updated the bios yet and I only install gpu driver window 10 installed everything else is that normal ? Or should i get them from there website ?

Bios is f4
Are my temps bad ?

Thanks guys

I was doing some stress testing yesterday, with a h100i as ive just updated to an x570 board and i was peaking at around 81c. Your temps seem absolutely fine.

Associate
Thanks the temps are lower that I posted I was monitoring it with core temp and that shows the temp much higher I am now using up to date ryzen master and the temps are 10-15% cooler so I am happy

Soldato
I've been on a 2700x since just after launch, upgraded to a 3900x last week and I'm pretty impressed so far.

I found PBO on my x570 Gaming Edge to be useless though so I've gone with a good old fashioned all core OC - sitting at 4.3 all core (which is higher than it was boosting single core anyway!) at 1.2v

Soldato
I've been on a 2700x since just after launch, upgraded to a 3900x last week and I'm pretty impressed so far.

I found PBO on my x570 Gaming Edge to be useless though so I've gone with a good old fashioned all core OC - sitting at 4.3 all core (which is higher than it was boosting single core anyway!) at 1.2v

If it wasn't boosting higher than 4.2Ghz on single threaded workload (use CBr20 single CPU) then something else needs looking into. What bios are you on? Have you got the latest AMD drivers? What powerplan are you using? etc.

Soldato
If it wasn't boosting higher than 4.2Ghz on single threaded workload (use CBr20 single CPU) then something else needs looking into. What bios are you on? Have you got the latest AMD drivers? What powerplan are you using? etc.

Latest bios, drivers fully updated, usually on Ryzen Balanced or Rzyen High Performance.

It's under a DR4 Pro, temps 35-40 at idle and ~70-75 full load on all cores.

Left at stock (and even with PBO turned on) it was only hitting 4.05 across all cores and 4.2-4.3 single core.

[edit] and Rzyen Master was only showing it hitting around 75% of the PPT, TDC & EDC limits

Soldato
Latest bios, drivers fully updated, usually on Ryzen Balanced or Rzyen High Performance.

It's under a DR4 Pro, temps 35-40 at idle and ~70-75 full load on all cores.

Left at stock (and even with PBO turned on) it was only hitting 4.05 across all cores and 4.2-4.3 single core.
Way too low. Are you running CBr20 single thread and using HWInfo to check frequency?

Are you on the 7C37v171 bios? You should probably try the 1usmus power plan.

Soldato
Way too low. Are you running CBr20 single thread and using HWInfo to check frequency?

Are you on the 7C37v171 bios? You should probably try the 1usmus power plan.

I'm on 7C37vH6

Just having a play with things at the moment, I don't think that MSI's stupid Dragon software was helping as that did it's own thing to the clocks every time it loaded so I've uninstalled it.

I reset BIOS back to default and it was still only running at 3.8. Then I've loaded Ryzen Master and it's noted as being a Manual OC (which is isn't on bios default settings!) so I reset Master too and... it now seems to be boosting to 4.6 single core.

I miss the old days of bclk overclocking, this is getting far too complicated for me! :eek::D

Soldato
I'm on 7C37vH6

Just having a play with things at the moment, I don't think that MSI's stupid Dragon software was helping as that did it's own thing to the clocks every time it loaded so I've uninstalled it.

I reset BIOS back to default and it was still only running at 3.8. Then I've loaded Ryzen Master and it's noted as being a Manual OC (which is isn't on bios default settings!) so I reset Master too and... it now seems to be boosting to 4.6 single core.

I miss the old days of bclk overclocking, this is getting far too complicated for me! :eek::D
:D Glad you're getting something more normal. Generally it's best to let the CPU do it's thing. Concentrate on getting down your memory timings as that's where I found the biggest improvement. Aim for a 3600Mhz-3800Mhz with as tight timings as possible and 1:1 with the FCLK.
I use the memory bench in AIDA64 (though I think there is also one in DRam Calc) and you want to get your latency in the low to mid 60's (ns)

Associate
Dragon software sucks. It happened to me too ... clocks at 3.8 and 1.096v fixed.

As for boosting, i can't reach 4.6 ... it's a little less, like 4550, 4575 ...
Do yours hit the 4.6 ?

Soldato
Just out of curiosity how does the 3900x compare to the 9900k in gaming at 1440p and above?
I pretty much have both and there is hardly any difference between them. Almost margin or error. My 9700K will generally edge it but there's nothing to write home about at those resolutions. At the moment I'm using 3440x1440.

Back
Top Bottom