Running XP on Windows 10

Permabanned
OP
Some people just have a
"get with the times" attitude
Even once explained your old data may be in a format that won't import into modern software
Or that new software could be a cost you don't want
Or that you actually prefer how the old software works and don't want to start relearning new software
Don't worry over it
As long as what you want to do is doable ~which it should be is main thing
Yours isn't only post about this sort of thing
Main thing with an old OS is making it secure as you can is all

Yup, I posted about Intel processors asking for availability. I got a lot of hate about that too. I did have a good look, but couldn't find any other forums to give this sort of advice. Unfortunately on OC, if you don't conform to what a few people think you should have, it gets a bit hard going. With my build, I have really had to figure things out for myself using sources apart from this forum. It's a shame, as there's some good advice hidden under all the hate.

Soldato
Yup, I posted about Intel processors asking for availability. I got a lot of hate about that too. I did have a good look, but couldn't find any other forums to give this sort of advice. Unfortunately on OC, if you don't conform to what a few people think you should have, it gets a bit hard going. With my build, I have really had to figure things out for myself using sources apart from this forum. It's a shame, as there's some good advice hidden under all the hate.
Sometimes I might say
You are better off updating etc
But once some one explains their reasoning why they can't /don't want to
Then I accept that and try to help achieve what they want if its possible
Guess every one is different though

Capodecina
Soldato
Thanks for your reply @stockhausen

I wasn't sure if a Win10 boot will allow a boot into an XP disk, however I don't ideally want to do that as I'd like to be able to run XP within my regular environment. M.2 drives aren't going to make a lot of noise, the multi disks are for efficient Premier Pro usage. It's good to have separate drives for OS, project files & temp files. I've not yet bought the mobo, but it's probably going to be an ASUS X299 Prime 30 edition due to the 3x M.2 sockets & VRM cooling. I'm toying with M.2 RAID for the storage but it's likely to push the cost too high.

I have also dual booted in the past between Linux Mint & Windows, but I find the dual booting process a bit too much of a faff. VMWare looks to be the way to go for me. I really don't understand all the hate.
3 x M.2 - WOW! I must say that I have kinda lost interest in RAID although I do have two RAID controllers stuck away in a cupboard and I used to configure servers with RAID 5.

I will be interested to read any of your feedback on VMWare; sadly haters are always gonna hate - just try starting a conversation about Lightning power connectors and USB-C ;)

Permabanned
OP
3 x M.2 - WOW! I must say that I have kinda lost interest in RAID although I do have two RAID controllers stuck away in a cupboard and I used to configure servers with RAID 5.

I will be interested to read any of your feedback on VMWare; sadly haters are always gonna hate - just try starting a conversation about Lightning power connectors and USB-C ;)

Thanks for your reply.

The 3x M.2 drivers would not be RAID, I was thinking of RAID to replace the platter disk storage. Asus offer a unit which you can plug in up to 4x M.2 drivers & configure that as RAID. It sounds fun & I'd like to do it, but I'm already well over budget.

So, um, I'm looking at
Project: 512gb M.2
Scratch: 512gb M.2
Data storage: 6tb platter, or 4tb M.2 RAID 0.

RAID thing: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...roller-card-v2-90mc06p0-m0eay0-cc-001-as.html

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Nope - it's exactly the same as VMWare or VirtualBox - you can start and shutdown the virtual XP instance as and when you wish...

I'm not to sure. From what I've read, Hyper-V loads before the OS, so it's never turned off & in theory can affect performance. AFAIK VMware works just like XP Mode, which is exactly what I want. I'm open to being put right though! I barely understand this stuff.

https://www.vembu.com/blog/hyper-v-vs-vmware/

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
You are reading too much into it.

Yes it loads with the os, but so do the low level drivers for virtual box or VMware.
There will be no noticeable performance impact.

For your purpose it will perform identically.

That sounds good thank you. Hyper-V as a security advantage I think. I need as much power as I can get, do you think Hyper-V can stand mild overclocking & not get in the way of performance? The main thing for me with Premier Pro editing is smooth video during the editing process.

Back
Top Bottom