Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Caporegime
I agree. People step up in size to a big 4k TV and HD and SD looks worse on them. Higher quality TVs with better upscaling fare much better.

Spot on. For a long time my 720P tv was a much better picture than 1080p and 4k TVs I had bought since. Which is why I always make sure I buy a TV with really good upscaling until the day comes when everything I watch is 4k.

Soldato
Spot on. For a long time my 720P tv was a much better picture than 1080p and 4k TVs I had bought since. Which is why I always make sure I buy a TV with really good upscaling until the day comes when everything I watch is 4k.
This is a factor that's really hard to tell from price - image processing and panel can make or break an SD viewing experience (and more). IMO buying a telly is still quite subjective and you ought to go look at them in the flesh.

alx

alx

Soldato
Yeah gouging is perhaps too strong a word for it but an lcd panels costs £30 to make and the same size OLED one costs $80 but production is about to quadruple from the LG and Samsung factories and once china gets better with their plants, cost of panels will soon be equal to LCD. At the moment though the margins on OLED are two to three times more than LCD which is why there is much more than a $50 difference in end price of the TVs.

Take LG's performance in 2018 when they had OLED TVs and nobody else had them. Their profits for their TV division went up 76% to a new record. So they are selling them more than they need to sell them for. Capitalism for you ;)

How much did the R&D cost prior to 2018 though? I remember LG sticking with OLED technology when everyone else had given up and said it was too expensive, now look at it - heading towards LCD panel costs as you mention.

I'm not arguing they make more margin on OLED TVs, however they might still be recouping significant R&D costs they spent previously.

Caporegime
How much did the R&D cost prior to 2018 though? I remember LG sticking with OLED technology when everyone else had given up and said it was too expensive, now look at it - heading towards LCD panel costs as you mention.

I'm not arguing they make more margin on OLED TVs, however they might still be recouping significant R&D costs they spent previously.

Agreed but reality is they are getting as much as they can while they can until the Chinese and other manufacturers catch up and forces them to drop their margins. I don't blame them - thats business 101.

Also this year, due to increased production capability and improvements the cost of their OLED panels will drop by 50% but we arent going to see LG TVs drop by 50% in 2020 are we?

Sadly its the falling demand for their smaller mobile oled screens which is costing them money. Losing apple watch contract to an alternative OLED maker cost them dearly. Their LCD division is losing money due to chinese competition and the fact that last year they had to drop the price of their lcd panels by 26% twice in one year in order to compete. So yeah, the profit on OLED panels is the only thing keeping that division profitable.

On a side point though, the continuing none profitability of LCD panels means we are unlikely to see any great improvements in the PC monitor market until we are all OLED.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Agreed but reality is they are getting as much as they can while they can until the Chinese and other manufacturers catch up and forces them to drop their margins. I don't blame them - thats business 101.

Also this year, due to increased production capability and improvements the cost of their OLED panels will drop by 50% but we arent going to see LG TVs drop by 50% in 2020 are we?
Nope. Exactly same price as last year. The improvements look minuscule this year too. If you’re after one, you’re better off just buying a C9 with a whopping discount.

Caporegime
Yeah in a couple of years once chinese OLED panels are common place and other manufacturers have theirs out, OLED TVs "should" be the same price as last years LCDs. Good times ahead for all.

Caporegime
LG must surely have a monopoly on OLED patents

well several other manufacturers have OLED panels out or are about to start making them so I guess not?

And Samsung starts its first factory making QD-OLED TV panels next year with two more to follow before 2025 producing 1.2m panels per year.

The chinese will be upping production from 300k last year to 3m per annum in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah gouging is perhaps too strong a word for it but an lcd panels costs £30 to make and the same size OLED one costs $80 but production is about to quadruple from the LG and Samsung factories and once china gets better with their plants, cost of panels will soon be equal to LCD. At the moment though the margins on OLED are two to three times more than LCD which is why there is much more than a $50 difference in end price of the TVs.

Take LG's performance in 2018 when they had OLED TVs and nobody else had them. Their profits for their TV division went up 76% to a new record. So they are selling them more than they need to sell them for. Capitalism for you ;)

Careful... LG produce the Oled tv panel however other manufacturers purchase the panels as oem and sell them under there own brand. 2018 had a number of options from Sony, Panasonic etc. LG were not the only "brand" on the high street. The profit that you mention I assume is mostly made up from selling the panel as opposed to a full blown finished product.

Caporegime
I bought my sons a Hisense 50" 4k for Christmas, it was under 300quid on Amazon black friday. It's fantastic... for the money!

You get a huge amount of bang for buck with Hisense TVs. Which is why LG is cashing in now before the chinese OLED factories ramp up their OLED screen production to 3m units per annum. At the moment they are only making 200k to 300k and are used for the internal market only.

I can well see 55" Hisense OLED screens been available for £300 by end of 2021/early 2022.

Back
Top Bottom