Road Cycling

Soldato
So I have a quandary... got my new Cannondale Topstone delivered but need pedals, do I go with look keo as per my other road bikes or SPD ? I have a 1 mile commute but still likely to wear bike clothing and carry work stuff but mainly will be my winter bike likely to be used on turbo duties also.

I have some road and MTB shoes albeit my MTB shoes aren’t the comfiest, what do you reckon?
SPDSL if you're not planning on riding off road, but seems a bit of an overkill on bike if you won't be.

Soldato
Seems to be lots of people coming off this weekend on ice.

tomorrow forecast to be colder, take care everyone!

Yeah, dodgy this weekend, I had a couple of squirrelly moments on the lanes then nearly got hit by a lorry when I went back to the “safety” of the main roads. Zwifted this morning.

I’ve had some awful rides in terms of driver behaviour the last couple of weeks. Can’t wait for the warmer weather so I can start going back out at 6 or earlier, just seems to get worse on the roads every year and post 9am is miserable.

Soldato
Seems to be lots of people coming off this weekend on ice.

tomorrow forecast to be colder, take care everyone!

Yeah, my mate came off commuting to work.

Managed to graze his chin and his cheek on the left when he fell right. Snapped shifter too for good measure.

We were meant to go out today but there was so much frost around I fitted shocks to my car instead. Been told it was fine but meh.

Soldato
I did 50km today, went out at half 12 and still freezing fog! Headed north and towards the coast and it was nice, coming home seemed worse than ever.

Felt like hard work, bit of everything, had a tougher week at work and DIY at home so maybe more fatigued than normal. Felt like I was riding 200-240w and only scraping 30kmh at times.

Lots of motorists with no lights on!

Soldato
I’ve had mine set at 100% for ages. Maybe that’s why I’m getting toasted during races?!
Probably, then again mine set at around 70% or whatever doesn't make much difference to me getting toasted! :p ;)

Lunchtime viewing for today! Found this really funny/impressive other years.

After a quick bit of advice as I'm clueless with disk brakes. Girlfriend has just got herself a Planetx Pro Evo Carbon (Rival 22 with Disks) which we're happy with. Wondering whether thru-axle quick releases are usable on road bikes? I'm looking at the DT Swiss RWS 12mm which matches the spec I have (142x12mm), just wanted to double check if it's doable or anything we should be aware about?
They are 'usable', I was even using that same one for a time when I moved from SCS to 142mm width hub to get a longer axle... But be careful what you get... Annoyingly there's the obvious different lengths (due to hub width, 135 or 142), then there's diameter (most are 12mm, but some where 10mm), but also throw into the mix thread pitch which can change between frames/manufacturers...

For an example look here at all Tacx list for their thru axle compatibility on trainers (most are MTB): https://tacx.com/product/e-thru-trainer-axle/

DT Swiss RWS are listed the same as what Specialized use and I'd researched before that anything 'Syntace' compatible was generally also Specialized compatible (Tacx article above says the same). Unsure how much that helps you witha PX frame!

Does she really need a 'lockable' rear for it? Might be cheaper/easier to carry an additional cable lock just to lock the wheels to the frame...

So I have a quandary... got my new Cannondale Topstone delivered but need pedals, do I go with look keo as per my other road bikes or SPD ? I have a 1 mile commute but still likely to wear bike clothing and carry work stuff but mainly will be my winter bike likely to be used on turbo duties also.

I have some road and MTB shoes albeit my MTB shoes aren’t the comfiest, what do you reckon?
Depends what you want to do shoe wise really and what your commute is like. As you'll be using it on the turbo during the better weather it sounds silly not to have Keo's so you can wear whatever shoes you want - I generally wear my 'best' shoes on the turbo through the winter and have different commuting shoes. All Keo's here.

If your commute is very stop-start heavy traffic then the 'ease' of a double sided SPD is hard to miss like @Lethal` says. I moved from them several years ago, yet every time I've considered winter shoes I've thought about going back to them. If I had a dedicated winter/commuter I probably would have. But I've got my Diverge which does everything, so have to have a pedal for everything (but I only ride roads & tarmac cycle path).

I was previously using 'Keo Max 2' pedals as my everyday pedal and a set of blades on the turbo, recently needed new pedals (couldn't get my old max 2's off my old cranks!) and ended up with another pair of blades as my everyday. I thought they would be harder to pedal on the reverse of the pedal (when in stop-start traffic) but they're no more difficult (probably more shoe dependant?). I am considering fitting lower tension blades to get an easier clip in as it is much harder to properly clip in using overshoes. I'm probably not clipped in securely 10-15% of the time. Could be my fairly worn cleats also not helping - which again should be another consideration. I get through a set of grey keo's every 4-6 months. I blame the small amount of stop-start I do, along with quite a bit of walking (Nursery pickup) but that just means they're a consumable to consider...

I did 50km today, went out at half 12 and still freezing fog! Headed north and towards the coast and it was nice, coming home seemed worse than ever.

Felt like hard work, bit of everything, had a tougher week at work and DIY at home so maybe more fatigued than normal.
I failed spectacularly to get up in time for my usual 100km sunday morning. But even in the garage at 10am it was freezing in there, kinda glad I didn't attempt it as know I would've probably made myself ill. Busy saturday here and then chores yesterday really killed off any chance of riding. Did reach the point yesterday afternoon but just did a clean & maintenance stuff instead - fitted a longer flap to my rear guard & setup the new trailer. Was quite glad I didn't turbo as was actually knackered in the evening regardless. :cool:

Previously used the single seater Halfords trailer. For the money we got it for (£80) it was fantastic. The 'Chariot'. Easily had our moneys worth multiple times over as we've used it all weathers (but really abused it by doing so!). Little man has loved it! I weighed it yesterday at 11.6kg. So the past 16 months I have been towing that for 15 miles a week... With a little guy who now weighs 14kg himself. But now he's nearing 2.5 years old he's really outgrown it. Helmet touches roof, feet touch the front. Really feels quite cramped in there and he's over the max weight... :rolleyes:

New trailer is a Bellelli Bike 'Taxi' 2 seater Trailer. Got a good deal on it (after cashback down to £160) and it seems much better than the single seater Halfords. But it is heavy. It feels massive in comparison but is realistically 3-4" wider and 5-6" longer so not that much bigger 'footprint' wise. Website says 15kg... Kinda ok. Actual weight 19.1kg. WTF Ouch! Have not towed it yet but really quite concerned now of the difference... I may need to consider changing my frame as shouldn't be towing a trailer anyway with my carbon frame from what I've read...?! Going to name it 'The Tank'. It even has bumpers! But sod all places to mount lights... :o

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady I hadn’t even thought about my turbo use if I had SPD pedals so thanks for that, really should stick to keo based pedals and swap in some SPD pedals if I’m actually going off road I guess! Well timed as I’m off pedal/shoe shopping in a bit!

Soldato
@Roady I hadn’t even thought about my turbo use if I had SPD pedals so thanks for that, really should stick to keo based pedals and swap in some SPD pedals if I’m actually going off road I guess! Well timed as I’m off pedal/shoe shopping in a bit!
It's totally down to you really, but you're best sticking with Keo's & SPD's. There's really no point to change from them. It also sounds like you'll make good use eventually of whichever you get, even if you end up changing. I know the SPD pedals & shoes I've not used for 6 years still work!

Make the shoe choice guide your pedal choice - if you want to ride SPD's more then getting new more comfortable 2 bolt shoes might be a good investment. Then if you want to use them commuting/on the road look for some of the more road orientated SPD shoes. There's quite a few of them around these days. If you've got good 3 bolt road shoes already and want to use them commuting/on the turbo then get keo pedals. You can then either buy new 3 bolt shoes either to replace your current 'best' or even a pair for commuting. You could even luck out and find a pair of shoes with both fittings... Giro do some, or they certainly did, my Treble II have both... :D

Just treated myself a Feedback Sports Sprint workstand, been suffering trying to use my Lidl one that is missing a number of pieces now.
Nice, comes with all the fittings for thru axles? I've always been a bit scepical of stands where you're forever removing your front wheel, just seems like hassle to me. I know it doesn't take long, but what are the real benefits - Reduced height, reduced 'length' for operating around both sides etc? Anything else?

My X-Tools stand is still going strong 4-5 years old, but it would be good to get a second more solid/sturdy stand at some point.

Solid frosty one here this morning. -4, some slippy parts on joining/leaving cycle paths and roads. Was like bambi on ice walking around to the garage. Was -2 yesterday but not frozen as hard, or slippy. I zwifted last night and coming out of my garage put the bins out, the rear of the garage (faces South, quite sheltered) wasn't frozen, quite a bit of moisture around (bit of fog settling). Then walked around to the front of the house (faces North, drive is very open) and it was like a Winter Wonderland. The wind (from the West) had obviously frozen everything as there was a frost 'shadow' to one side of the car (which wasn't frozen).

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice, comes with all the fittings for thru axles? I've always been a bit scepical of stands where you're forever removing your front wheel, just seems like hassle to me. I know it doesn't take long, but what are the real benefits - Reduced height, reduced 'length' for operating around both sides etc? Anything else?

My X-Tools stand is still going strong 4-5 years old, but it would be good to get a second more solid/sturdy stand at some point.

I'm mainly hoping for strength and stability, the current stand you couldn't ever do a bottom bracket change or some of the tougher stuff, besides taking the wheel off is nothing compared to the amount of time it spends in the stand.

Soldato
I'm mainly hoping for strength and stability, the current stand you couldn't ever do a bottom bracket change or some of the tougher stuff, besides taking the wheel off is nothing compared to the amount of time it spends in the stand.

All true. Mine having 2 legs isn't stable for some of the really aggressive stuff like a BB hammering, but I have done it several times just by supporting it... My main gripe mine isn't stable at some of the higher angles when bleeding hydraulic hoses with it fitted to seatpost. Fitted to frame it is, but can't do that with fitted guards...

The Park stand is quite a bit better built than mine, also having a bunch of accessories, but it still suffers with the same stability issues as it's the same 2 leg design (have tried it!).

Good zwift session last night. My best power numbers for 2020 & the last 6 weeks (according to Strava) for 2 min - 1hr 30 min. Good leg day and felt strong throughout. Came close to popping 3 or 4 times but didn't quite, then still had a big kick and sprint in me at the finish. Maybe I need to do 2 rest days more often... ;) :D

EDIT: TDU kicks off, Stage #1 Dowsett data here
Looks like DQS sprinter Sam Bennett took the sprint

Ride from Ben Swift training with all the power data in it, including what looks like some hour long tempo test with intervals, then 2 efforts up 2 mountains. Big Ride & great numbers to see! :D

Stolen Goat doing Star Wars jerseys.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it is a DIY job. Changing crank arms on a quarq? Seem to be lots of 170 or 172.5mm, but no 175.

considering buying one and changing the arms over (sram to Sram).

Soldato
My goodness. I'm destroyed after getting talked into riding up and back from the A80.

Was following my mates session which was meant to be 280w for 25 minutes or so but it's mostly downhill and loads of lights so worked out a fair bit lower looking at Strava.

Small group agreed 3 laps and I had to keep it to that to get back to pick the mrs up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3031981824/analysis/5340/5639 I set the pace for this bit and winded the big man then when we turned I was left on the front so decided to set the pace towards the drag and not let off on the climb? itself https://www.strava.com/activities/3031981824/analysis/5840/6211 looks like 400w-ish got the better of him. Had some gap by the red light but still managed to get up to speed and jump away for the sprint which prompted a 1100w effort from Gary to catch up to me.

Got to use the legs when they are there, he'll dish it out to me soon I'm sure.

Soldato
I think it is a DIY job. Changing crank arms on a quarq? Seem to be lots of 170 or 172.5mm, but no 175.

I've only changed Power2max on Rotor as far as I can remember but Sram/Quarq can have a different amount of bolt holes/BCD so isn't as straight forward as it could be.

Soldato
@Thomas. PLease. Spotted Kwaitkowski is out there training from base near Mogan, so asked the question on an activity of his - Looks like the motorway tunnel is 'safe' from Mogan but technically 'forbidden' for cyclists, so imagine use the hard shoulder. Although a ferry ride to start the day does seem nice too! They must be more regular with the road closed?! :D

Not sure you can, without buying just the spider? Or is that what you meant? They're some weird 107BCD.
All Quarq power meters use 8 T20 bolts to fix the spider to the crank arm, while all non-power SRAM cranks use 3 T25 bolts to fix the spider to the crank arm. These two interfaces are not cross compatible. The new 8-bolt interface improves power measurement stability and allows the customer to swap the power meter from one crankarm to another without impacting accuracy.

If you do have 8 bolt Quarq Power Ready cranks, you can purchase the spider only and install it directly onto your cranks.

So well worth checking your cranks if you don't know... Although the article kinda hints/indicate you can't it's from 2016/17 unless you're using Specialized cranks and get that spider. The actual wording indicates you kinda can with the 8bolt being 'Quarq Ready cranks'.

The Quarq site doesn't even list the standard Dzero spider or Quarq with cranks anymore, everything seems to be DUB & AXS.

Seems good info here on WW: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143627&start=30

My goodness. I'm destroyed after getting talked into riding up and back from the A80.
Not surprising with those efforts/speeds! Good stuff!

That fairly long drag/climb up Greenlees/Nerson towards E.Kilbride must be a killer after a session like that! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I meant if I bought a Sram:quarq fitted with 172.5 can I swap to a SRAM crank I already have with 175mm arms.

seems like you can, three torx bolts behind the spider, but wasn’t sure about calibration or if the cranks were all identical.

Soldato
As the power is read from the spider I think you should be ok. Probably settings within the Quarq regarding crank length if it affects it and the fact they're available with 175 the setting should be there. It's still 'standard'.

If the 3bolt thing you've seen is on the quarq itself think you'll be ok, but the fact a couple of those posts talk about 3bolt from SRAM not being compatible, with 'Quarq Ready' cranks with 6bolt being available makes me think all the current/newer should be that? Meh. Seems a real minefield with not much info on Quarq or SRAM sites. They're meant to be good at replying to support questions so I'd say do that, maybe with some pictures of the 175 arms you have?

Back
Top Bottom