Advice on buying a Cat S car

Associate
Hi,

I'm pretty clueless about cars and I'd really appreciate some advice on this. So, I have my eye on a BMW X1 that is listed as a Cat S write-off. I called the garage who are selling it and they said it passed an engineers inspection, and has been repaired good as new.

I'd be looking to hang on to it to the death (have my current car 6 years and counting!) so I'm not too worried about re-sale value. It's the damage they describe that's been repaired worries me. Here's their description of the vehicle:

Only 21000miles had very light corner touch (new wing, bumper, headlight, hub, bottom arm) all parts used from Bmw Bawarian for fixing car, warranty available, engineer report carried out after repair, cat.s

The 'bottom arm' part sounds pretty serious. Like, is it structural? Or, is it just a thing that if it's repaired right like a wing mirror or something it's grand.

Thank you!

Emma

Caporegime
And when you come to sell it, it will either be next to impossible to sell privately unless you accept pitiful amounts and any Trader will likely either not want it for the same reasons (difficult to sell) or offer you such a low price that it becomes a pointless exercise.

IMO the only time any Cat car is worthwhile is when you intend to keep it for a very, very long time when the savings can be maximised. If you only keep your cars for 2-3 years, avoid one.

Soldato
Hi Armageus. It is a 2016 model, the asking price is £12,995 and I checked the value with its reg and it should be about £16,800 or so.
Theres a few available on autotrader for £13/14k that in the long run may work out cheaper once you factor in insurance as well. Not worth it for such small savings on list price.

Associate
If you get a massive bargain then S can be fine but only if you know what you are doing. Definitely take along someone who repairs cars and knows what they are looking for.

I'd be looking for an exceptional deal not just a good one. Never kept track of SUV prices so no idea if this is exceptional. I'm not talking cheapest one on autotrader. I'm talking about cheaper than that!

Soldato
Cat S would need to be an irresistible offer to grab my attention. 4k reduction is not a good enough saving. I'd rather drop to an older vehicle or just swallow the extra cost.

Good cars the X1's though my parents have had one since 2013 and it's been faultless so far costing only consumables and servicing etc.

Back
Top Bottom