• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700XT black screens

Associate
So as title says i brought a 5700XT 1-2months
For the most part been a good card
every now and again get black screens i keep hearing sound for a while then stops and i have turn PC off from back or holding power down for ages
this stopped if i auto undervolt the card.

read online a fair few people having same problem..
Last 2-3 weeks i have some really bad days where i get it a lot AMD drivers crashing
black screens even i load up PC once goes past BIOS right to black screens
sometimes i keep getting black screens game crash then ill get BSOD

But then some days ill be lucky to even have 1 black screen error at all
even more weird last few days when i load up windows my sound drivers are not working and windows need repair for them to work D:

Using dual screens 1 is displayport and other is DVI to display port even if i used 1 screen using HDMI i still get black screen then AMD software crashes

If anyone can help would be amazing

*Edit things i have tired*
Using 1 screen using HDMI and Display port
Downgraded drivers to a older vision *tired 3 different visions* running newest 1 atm
Now running 2 PCI-E cables to card and not one
Brought a better cable
SFC /scannow Didn't find a problem
Turning most of AMD settings off like Anti lag/chill/boost/Image sharpening/enhanced sync

*Edit noticed my windows is just feeling weird sometimes when i shut down my PC takes ages to shutdown same with loading up.. then others near right away all drivers update/windows drivers and bios drivers NVME says its good health

Edit.
Seems be mostly working fine last few days if 1 crash a day today none

no idea why its stopped just all the things together/updating has stopped it maybe when reconnected to might of helped no idea :S

Last edited:
Associate
I would recommend you get a quality display port cable that is either 1.2 or 1.4 compatible. Seen a load of problems with cr@p cables. Overclockers do one for about a tenner.
I would also check your temps with something like hardware info to make sure not only is your gpu chip is running cool but also your gpu ram and vrms.

Associate
OP
Temps all fine using msi rivatuner never go over 80c the goy core itself is around 60c and I did buy new cable not long ago but cheaper one from ocuk hmm I'm going back a driver now and touch wood
In bios I had no crashes at all so DDU now going older driver

Caporegime
Theres loads of people getting Black Screens with the latest drivers, as they're broken, give the last 19 set a try, the 19.12.1s, as a lot of peole have gone back to them, until AMD fix their latest.

Soldato
So as title says i brought a 5700XT 1-2months ago and every now and again get black screens i keep hearing sound for a while then stops and i have turn PC off from back or holding power down for ages
but now seems to be getting worse with driver updates or just something if i auto undervlot it lasts longer but still do it randomly i had in games and even while just on chrome

Main question is i have a powercolor 5700XT and i took the cooler off to Watercool it... my warranty has gone no matter what now hasn't it?
am i stuck until/If amd fixes this?

Use latest drivers, disable enhanced sync. Do not use browser GPU acceleration or the Discord overlay in games.
If the issue persists, you need much better DP cable. Vega rated DP1.4 HBR3 costs around £10 and is great investment

Soldato
So as title says i brought a 5700XT 1-2months ago and every now and again get black screens i keep hearing sound for a while then stops and i have turn PC off from back or holding power down for ages
but now seems to be getting worse with driver updates or just something if i auto undervlot it lasts longer but still do it randomly i had in games and even while just on chrome

Main question is i have a powercolor 5700XT and i took the cooler off to Watercool it... my warranty has gone no matter what now hasn't it?
am i stuck until/If amd fixes this?

This chap fixed it by switching HDCP off i the driver settings:

https://community.amd.com/thread/243684

Associate
OP
Use latest drivers, disable enhanced sync. Do not use browser GPU acceleration or the Discord overlay in games.
If the issue persists, you need much better DP cable. Vega rated DP1.4 HBR3 costs around £10 and is great investment
Going order one now but in mean time trying 1 display using HDMI weird thing just seems be so weird yesterday 2 crashes today can't go more like 30 mins with out black screens hmm might try fresh windows aswell

This chap fixed it by switching HDCP off i the driver settings:

https://community.amd.com/thread/243684
it made my screens come back on and game no crash but then it black screen again till i got a BSOD :'(

Associate
OP
just tired with 1 screen using HDMI and still jsut got black screen but comes back on and AMD software has crashed... thinking just doing a reinstall of windows

Permabanned
Use also the 21.1.3 drivers and make sure before you install them to use DDU to stop windows from downloading their own driver.

Download the driver and disable the internet connection. Then install after system restart. No Windows graphics driver will be downloaded ;)

Associate
OP
Use also the 21.1.3 drivers and make sure before you install them to use DDU to stop windows from downloading their own driver.

Done and was still crashing but now i used auto undervolt and its gone lower then it did using newer software and seems be doing better no crash so far D:

Associate
Theres loads of people getting Black Screens with the latest drivers, as they're broken, give the last 19 set a try, the 19.12.1s, as a lot of peole have gone back to them, until AMD fix their latest.

Yep I'm having to stick with 19.12.1 because of this issue. Noted as fixed in the 20.1.3 but it isn't, at least theyre working on it.

Associate
Can be issue with cables. Had similar issues with PS4 and not so good HDMI cables, and similar with PC and some poor cables. Since then, not going crazy, but buying good quality ones at mid-range price.

Permabanned

Using dual screens 1 is displayport and other is DVI to display port even if i used 1 screen using HDMI i still get black screen then AMD software crashes

I'm running a single 3440x1440 monitor with a stock clock Powercolor 5700XT Red Devil & I've been getting random black screens ever since I bought it, I could go days or weeks without a black screen but last week it did a black screen & died permanently, When I tried to boot up I got nothing on screen, no spinning fans & no lighting up except for a red light on the pcb near where the monitor cables plug in, I still have an RX 480 Red Devil so I did all the checks like reseating the gpu, testing the power cables et cetera with both cards & the 480 was fine so I returned the 5700 to get it fixed under warranty.

Associate
I had this exact same issue (black screen, audio, need to power cycle) with a much older AMD card and would get different periods of "OK" with much older drivers but it was never 100% and oddly I think was linked to specific game engines.
As they tasked the system more I assume the power needs of the card ramped up, fans came on and chips got hot and my system couldn't cope.
I assumed that different (older) drivers had different power management settings and were just more stable.
Whereas newer drivers push for every bit of performance and use more power.

I tracked the problem down to an old power supply that was working "fine" most of the time. Replaced it and updated drivers to latest ones and had no more problems.

Associate
I get the issue, but with 2 monitors it isn't just a black screen. It freezes both screens, one of which is blank, but the mouse cursor still moves and any keyboard inputs are processed. Some times the screens kick back into life after about a minute and Task Manager pops in to view along with whatever other random events have occurred due to my key pressing. Other times I have to hard boot the PC, but sometimes one of the monitor will continue to display a corrupted image for a few seconds after the PC has switched off!

I never used to get this issue with R9 280X, RX 580, GTX 970 or a Vega 64 with the same monitors and cables.

Back
Top Bottom