*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Soldato
I can’t imagine Atmos being a big priority for SONOS, so if that’s your criteria, just change them now.

waiting to get a bigger entertainment unit so I can fit a wider soundbar. The Atmos soundbars on the market are very wide.

also waiting for hdmi 2.1 soundbars.
LG is making a 7.1.4 Atmos HDMI 2.1 soundbar that's out in April it will go. I've with my Lg C9

Soldato
I'd wager that Atmos will never come to Sonos, it's not their market and they've been clear about that in the past.
Totally agree they are not chasing the home cinema market. Sonos products always sound great though and I’m not convinced sound bars benefit all that much from atmos and all the other stuff people moan is missing!

Soldato
Looks like BOSE is in some trouble, wonder if Sonos might follow. BOSE just announced it's closing down most of it's retail stores and cutting hundreds of jobs.

Soldato
I don’t think SONOS is as exposed in terms of retail outlets.

yes that's true, but look deeper and What I think is happening is that the market is getting cut thinner. When Sonos entered they had a niche - now not so much and some of the money is going to other brands of smart speakers

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Received an email today to say my Gen 1 Play 5 will not receive any more updates in May, and that if I don't replace it nothing within the Sonos environment will get updates as everything has to run the same version.

Other than any potential security updates (which I've read would still be issued, just no feature updates), as long as stuff plays music I don't really care, just a bit annoying.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Reading the various threads about it, I only ever stream from a local NAS or Spotify so as long as Spotify integration doesn't need changing I'm good.

The worry is what happens if 'something' in the system gets updated, i.e. the phone app, does it then screw me?

Caporegime
Bit worried about the presence of an older product meaning updates are blocked for your entire system. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This quote in particular is a suprise:

"“Without new software updates, access to services and overall functionality of your sound system will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their technology,”

I've got two Play:5s which are perfectly functional and I won't be forced into upgrading due to Sonos breaking functionality. I'd rather just move away from Sonos than have to play keep up.

Soldato
Who knows, maybe switching of the old 5s will then allow updates? My old 5 is one of 11 sonos speakers so I will need to find a way around this too!

eta read the email, no chance! Shame they don’t allow the upgrade from an old 5 to a new one only the outdoor one for some reason

Soldato
Bit worried about the presence of an older product meaning updates are blocked for your entire system. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This quote in particular is a suprise:

"“Without new software updates, access to services and overall functionality of your sound system will eventually be disrupted, particularly as partners evolve their technology,”

I've got two Play:5s which are perfectly functional and I won't be forced into upgrading due to Sonos breaking functionality. I'd rather just move away from Sonos than have to play keep up.

Yeah that's the problem with properitary locked in system you're held hostage to product support.

That's why I chose squeezebox, the system is open source so as long as guys on the internet keep it going, it'll work on new hardware

Caporegime
Who knows, maybe switching of the old 5s will then allow updates? My old 5 is one of 11 sonos speakers so I will need to find a way around this too!

eta read the email, no chance! Shame they don’t allow the upgrade from an old 5 to a new one only the outdoor one for some reason

I suspect switching off older devices and updating the newer ones will stop the older devices connecting completely.

I imagine they will have to backtrack on this. The cynic in me suspects it's simply forced obscelence to drive sales. Why older devices can't continue in a limited legacy mode whilst new devices get updates is a little suspect. They're not hugely complex devices, all they have to do is play music streamed to them.

Soldato
There’s an article on The Verge that says Sonos are working on a way to let you (force you?!) split off your “legacy” gear onto a separate network.

If new products are going to come pre-installed with new software after May then does that mean you can’t add new speakers to a network containing a “legacy” product?

Soldato
Yeah that would suck if you have a older Sonos streamer and then buy new one for another room, you update to latest app but then the older one does not work, it may either ignore the older player or refuse to run saying you have a legacy product. I have no problem running original squeeze devices squeezebox, a Logitech squeezebox, and a Logitech squeezebox touch, on a new fast quad core Synology Nas with pinkdot despite no longer getting official updates, it gets updates from pinkdot and runs on new Nas devices.

When I installed Sonos app on my phone I looked for after market players but there are none. Bad idea, if the app no longer works on your phone say if you have older phone but want latest app, it may not install.. or Sonos stop support you are screwed.

Also I REALLY didn't like you had to create an account online before the Sonos even allowed you to start using the product, since I don't have internet connection at home there is no way to set it up, I had to set it up round brothers first then take it home. Damn annoying. Also it does some kind of weird network setup or when I simply disconnected from brothers and connected to mine it should simply work, but I had to do a partial reset, not the email login wizard but telling it connect to existing system, go back and forth on setup on app and finally worked.

Also if Sonos stop support on older products what happens when you want to do the initial setup and you can't because it doesn't allow you to find old products?

Bit like having windows 7 machine on your home network, you buy a new second pc and the windows networking on windows10 doesn't connect to your windows 7 machine.

All this and the 65,000 track limit really makes me glad of squeezebox, and despise "apple-like" products.

Soldato
It’s okay, we completely understand your rhetoric.

Sarcasm or understand?
Logitech stopped official app support it only works on Android gingerbread it won't run on new is but being the app is open source, or the control method is, there are free and payable app options, I guess Sonos you don't have that. If Sonos are a ass with legacy products but the app was open perhaps third party app will force.it allowing you to use legacy and new products

Back
Top Bottom