The Tesla Thread

Associate
A question for people in the UK using Tesla's that use non home charging.

I deal with a guy that short term leases cars. These are genuinely for celebrities and football player's.

Teslas are often requested. However this guy has flagged up an isdue with charging from public chargers. Apparently they 'trip' often which I guess is a battery protection feature. To reset involves unplugging the cable etc.

Even a short charge of 30 mins requires the car to be supervised.

Any of you familiar with UK charging points and can give feedback?

Soldato

I deal with a guy that short term leases cars. These are genuinely for celebrities and football player's.

Teslas are often requested. However this guy has flagged up an isdue with charging from public chargers. Apparently they 'trip' often which I guess is a battery protection feature. To reset involves unplugging the cable etc.

Haven't had an issue with any public charger, even used a rapid in Skegness and they have only recently discovered electricity.

nam

nam

Soldato

never heard of any Tesla supercharger "tripping" , 5 months of full use with Tesla and other rapid chargers on my Model 3 performance never had any issues. Maybe he is thinking about home chargers which can possibly trip

Soldato

In my experience the newer models (Model 3 and Facelifted 2016+ Model S) work well and don't cause this issue. They behave well on public Type 2 chargers, CCS (Model 3) and Superchargers. There are occasional handshake issues, but you can get that with any EV. And this happens before the charge initiates, not during charging.

Soldato
Leaving my current job next week and have to give back my Model S P100d back on Friday.

My next job has a car benefit rather than company car scheme. I ideally wanted a Model X Performance but can’t really justify the cost without the tax benefits as it’s just me and the better half (twice the price nearly)

I am thinking about getting a Model 3 performance instead with the Black and White interior and full self driving.

I’m scared it will feel like a downgrade in terms of size, performance (slightly), range (slightly) and a hatchback boot. However, I will get the faster MCU which supports theatre mode and is super fast compared my old tegra based MCU and full self driving (I had enhanced auto pilot before), so hopefully it feels not too bad.

Has anyone gone from the Model S to Model 3? Do you regret it ? I’m scared on a decision.
What’s a realistic range for Model 3 Performance ? I average 250 miles in my P100D. Does Model 3 Performance come with unlimited supercharging or a number or credits ? Model X and S is still unlimited but can’t see anything on on Tesla’s website for Model 3.

My new car allowance is £1000 per month so about in the middle of the model 3 and model x performance cost.

I’m writing off another Model S as the cost isn’t much difference to a Model X so would rather go X.

Soldato
Lol barely an hour and a half between pondering your options to making an order.

I loose my car next week as I was originally meant to keep it till the lease expired, but my company told me no thx.. so in 10 days I’ll have no car and want to ensure I can get a new one ASAP as one car between two of us will be hard. Model 3 already went from estimated delivery from Feb to March.

I’ve never driven a model 3 so I can always cancel if needed..

Soldato
I loose my car next week as I was originally meant to keep it till the lease expired, but my company told me no thx.. so in 10 days I’ll have no car and want to ensure I can get a new one ASAP as one car between two of us will be hard. Model 3 already went from estimated delivery from Feb to March.

I’ve never driven a model 3 so I can always cancel if needed..

Welcome! There's a boat load coming this way atm so you never know, you might get lucky.

Soldato
When I ordered my Model S I got updates from it starting being built to going through the transport process.

for Model 3, is it similar or so they ship a bucket load then assign when they reach The UK port in Southampton ?

I'm not sure, apparently Model Xs are built to order so I don't know if that's the same as the S?

However Model 3s aren't, they're built based on anticipated demand and allocated accordingly. People that order weird configs are likely to wait longer. Changing your order puts you at the back of the queue and it gets passed to someone with that config.

This is the boat that's en-route with 5-5,500 Teslas: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...VIS_COSMOS/_:fe402f5d508a58ba21da386c1a1d3905. It docks in Zeebrugge and then I presume it gets split between all the RHD orders in Europe (UK, Ireland, Malta and...?).

Lots of people were assigned a VIN as it departed so basically those cars are probably on the boat (ie they get assigned on departure, it seems, rather than arrival).

Soldato
I'm not sure, apparently Model Xs are built to order so I don't know if that's the same as the S?

However Model 3s aren't, they're built based on anticipated demand and allocated accordingly. People that order weird configs are likely to wait longer. Changing your order puts you at the back of the queue and it gets passed to someone with that config.

This is the boat that's en-route with 5-5,500 Teslas: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...VIS_COSMOS/_:fe402f5d508a58ba21da386c1a1d3905. It docks in Zeebrugge and then I presume it gets split between all the RHD orders in Europe (UK, Ireland, Malta and...?).

Lots of people were assigned a VIN as it departed so basically those cars are probably on the boat (ie they get assigned on departure, it seems, rather than arrival).

maybe I just missed out when it changed from February to March :(

Do you know if model 3 p comes with free supercharging these days ?

Soldato
maybe I just missed out when it changed from February to March :(

Do you know if model 3 p comes with free supercharging these days ?

I don't think any new orders do, only used vehicles that were sold with 'supercharging 4 life'. They don't allow the use of superchargers for commercial purposes and they're more 'when needed' rather than as an every day (ie fair use policy), so they scrapped the free offers.

Soldato
I don't think any new orders do, only used vehicles that were sold with 'supercharging 4 life'. They don't allow the use of superchargers for commercial purposes and they're more 'when needed' rather than as an every day (ie fair use policy), so they scrapped the free offers.

I do about 30k miles a year and the free SC has made things easy on the Model S. It is a shame they don’t make it clear either way on the website like there used too..

Soldato
Wow, have never seen people tracking cargo ships before in anticipation of a new car! Makes you wonder how many of these would be sold if they were in dealers.

How many right hand drive Model 3s are being supplied to Europe typically per week/month at the moment? When is it due to ramp up?

Soldato
never heard of any Tesla supercharger "tripping" , 5 months of full use with Tesla and other rapid chargers on my Model 3 performance never had any issues. Maybe he is thinking about home chargers which can possibly trip

If it's one car then yes I've followed one SpeakEV forum thread where the car a did this and needed to go back for a replacement module. If it's more than one car then no that's not a common issue specifically with Tesla but does happen to a lot of EVs in general, usually on the older 50kw chargers. Sometimes it can be as simple as the CCS cable not seating well due to the weight of the cable and connector so hold it up while it handshakes and starts charging.

Soldato
Wow, have never seen people tracking cargo ships before in anticipation of a new car! Makes you wonder how many of these would be sold if they were in dealers.

How many right hand drive Model 3s are being supplied to Europe typically per week/month at the moment? When is it due to ramp up?

I'm not sure, and I think it varies because in the past they've done a shipment straight to the Netherlands for example to meet demand there following a tax break.

This spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YeLtMxFt9Lh8mndZhjOqrzFfWQ_r5T9LS-l3gQzPXCk from this forum post https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-order-tracking-spreadsheet.104996 is interesting, though it doesn't give a split between countries etc.

Soldato
Leaving my current job next week and have to give back my Model S P100d back on Friday.

My next job has a car benefit rather than company car scheme. I ideally wanted a Model X Performance but can’t really justify the cost without the tax benefits as it’s just me and the better half (twice the price nearly)

I am thinking about getting a Model 3 performance instead with the Black and White interior and full self driving.

I’m scared it will feel like a downgrade in terms of size, performance (slightly), range (slightly) and a hatchback boot. However, I will get the faster MCU which supports theatre mode and is super fast compared my old tegra based MCU and full self driving (I had enhanced auto pilot before), so hopefully it feels not too bad.

Has anyone gone from the Model S to Model 3? Do you regret it ? I’m scared on a decision.
What’s a realistic range for Model 3 Performance ? I average 250 miles in my P100D. Does Model 3 Performance come with unlimited supercharging or a number or credits ? Model X and S is still unlimited but can’t see anything on on Tesla’s website for Model 3.

My new car allowance is £1000 per month so about in the middle of the model 3 and model x performance cost.

I’m writing off another Model S as the cost isn’t much difference to a Model X so would rather go X.

I was given a Model S as a loaner while my Model 3 had some work done. Was very glad to get the Model 3 back. The Model S feels like a normal car in comparison. Felt like going back in time.

Back
Top Bottom