LG 34GK950F vs Alienware AW3420DW

Caporegime
Can i ask were you all purchased the alienware from can find it for £999 on currys website .
Was looking to find monitor to pair with new i7 5700XT system i've just built and with the delays on the LG GL850 thought id up my budget and seems the alienware fits the specs i want albeit being double the price.
Whats best place for to source one as im thinking Currys price is ok with some cashback .
cheers
Tried dell direct? Have an online chat with the sales team and if you know someone in the emergency services then you can get a blue light card discount as well as some cashback too. Sometimes they'll extend the warranty too.

Associate
Tried dell direct? Have an online chat with the sales team and if you know someone in the emergency services then you can get a blue light card discount as well as some cashback too. Sometimes they'll extend the warranty too.
Missus has blue light card will give them ring tomorrow. Also gonna have look at it in currys.
How can you apply cashback if ordering via phone ?

Associate
Online Chat was very good as reads:-
If you can get us a valid discount coupon the price will be £886.32(Blue light)
3 years Basic with Advanced Exchange
delivery can be with in 48 business hrs.
Will have to email the Dell person to allow two coupons to work the 100 off one on dell site and blue light one.
He did say this was possible though.
So pretty decent result that .
Ordering later :)

Associate
I was lucky missus is social worker and qualified for blue light card codes. Not sure how stringent they are going to be if the address or code doesn't match the person.
Have sent all codes and details to Dell this evening as per online chat requested will let you know how it goes.

Associate
Did your cashback track.

Yes and very fast, within about 10 minutes!

What brightness are you going for within your calibration tool ?

I've now calibrated mine using a spyder5 and DisplayCal to 120cd/m2 6500K 2.2Gamma and it looks very neutral, monitor brightness ended up at 30%.
Still very happy with it, gaming is certainly its forte but as a photographer I'm also using it with CaptureOne and Photoshop no problem, don't do any video editing but would imagine it would be fine for that too. Curve does'nt bother me.

Bought mine direct from Dell.

Associate
@Grif955 would you mind sharing your settings? Brightness obviously at 30%. Contrast, RGBCMY etc.

Just got this direct from Dell with 5yr Warranty.

I could do that but it would'nt be of much use to you I'm afraid. I use 'Custom colour' in the presets with the profile I created using DisplayCal and a Datacolor Spyder5. The settings on the monitor ended up being 32% Brightness 70%contrast 98%Red 99%Green 99%Blue, but this is just the start point to get the monitor in range so DisplayCal can create an acurate profile.
Once you have the monitor in range DisplayCal gives the green light to continue and it goes on to take about 200 odd readings using the Spyder which takes about an hour. It then calculates a profile for the monitor and loads it into windows and that profile is what gives the colour and is specific to my panel, they all vary to onr degree or another.

The standard profile and colour settings on these is very good out of the box so unless your doing colour critical work I would'nt worry about it, and if you are you need to invest in a calibration/profiling solution. DisplayCal is actually free (although I would encourage anyone who uses it to donate - no affiliation!) and excellent, but you would still need a compatible Spyder.

I should also say the 32% brightness setting is what I use for everyday use and photographic work, it's too dark for a lot of games though, so for something like Doom for example I use 'Game 1' preset set to 'Superfast', 'Dark Stabiliser' 1, Brightness 75%, Contrast 75%, Colour as is.

Associate
how did people get on with using 2 discount codes, the BF one and bluelight? Wondering if i could combine student discount and the £100. and possibly cashback. Would make the price mangable for me.

Associate
how did people get on with using 2 discount codes, the BF one and bluelight? Wondering if i could combine student discount and the £100. and possibly cashback. Would make the price mangable for me.

I have spoken to a sales representative multiple times. I just cannot get lower than 974, regardless of what strings I pull. I also got told that the student discount would not apply if you use the £100 coupon that is currently onsite.

Associate
Online Chat was very good as reads:-
If you can get us a valid discount coupon the price will be £886.32(Blue light)
3 years Basic with Advanced Exchange
delivery can be with in 48 business hrs.
Will have to email the Dell person to allow two coupons to work the 100 off one on dell site and blue light one.
He did say this was possible though.
So pretty decent result that .
Ordering later :)

I had a crack at live chat, Was no go for me, Although the woman didnt seem to understand what I was asking, And just made up another code which worked out the same as the normal £100 off one and told me it was limited to 24hrs, Despite the £100 off existing untill 27/01/20.

How did you get on? any tips on ways to persuade them to allow 2 codes?

Associate
Hollow yip that code works and takes it to £922 I've also asked chat if it works with a rx5700xt and they said yes but I'm asking if free sync works just now

Associate
Hollow yip that code works and takes it to £922 I've also asked chat if it works with a rx5700xt and they said yes but I'm asking if free sync works just now
I spoke with a Dell rep over live chat and managed to get the price down even further to £890. Think I'm going to keep going though and see if I can get them to include the £100 off on top haha. Will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom