High income child benefit charge...oh ****

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks for info that sounds good, I have not even received my numbers yet, I did my declaration in mid December, when did you do yours?

I did mine mid November. The issue I had is that I didn't have the figures back for previous years and the self assessment payment is due end of Jan. You can setup a payment plan, but only one, so I needed to know my previous year figures to combine with the 18-19 self assessment figure. I called them and they finally completed the previous years calculations this week.

Associate
I did mine mid November. The issue I had is that I didn't have the figures back for previous years and the self assessment payment is due end of Jan. You can setup a payment plan, but only one, so I needed to know my previous year figures to combine with the 18-19 self assessment figure. I called them and they finally completed the previous years calculations this week.

Ok thanks for all the info, sounds like I might have a wait then...at least when I get previous years bill in it sounds like I can spread cost.

Transmission breaker
Don

Just to back this up.

I am in a payment plan to pay back a large figure, which covered 2013/2018. I requested this, as I would pay the 2018/2019 when it was due after self assessment. HOWEVER, this means that any payments you make (for the previous tax year) have to be done over the phone manually and assigned to the balancing payment specifically. OTHERWISE, the system will automatically allocate it to the oldest balance, which they WILL NOT tell you till you get warned for being overdue for the previous year (BY POST). EVEN IF you specifically select the year in question on the website and pay the exact amount of the balance. This also will screw up your direct debit for any previous payments, as the payment is ALWAYS allocated to the oldest amount again.

Fixing this is difficult, and has to be explained to the representative to ensure that they move it to the correct allocation. I was told that this was impossible by one, and then magically after I complained it was sorted. Most of the representatives are NOT aware of this process/issue. So this takes a lot more hold time whilst they "work it out".

I have been told by 3 different people at 3 different times, that I was up to date, and two times I received letters or notification that I STILL owed another amount. The latest was today (just now), after paying another £500ish "Penalty" that was, for some reason, not rolled up in my previous payment plan which covered the years i was being penalised for...

Shambles... total shambles, and it requires a LOT of work to attempt to understand their processes, and its no wonder people fall through the cracks, and end up falling foul of the system.

Soldato
I decided to chase as I had no response to my email. The IVR states they will reply by mid-February.

As I was a little concerned of receiving a letter demanding payment by X, I did some further digging.

Absolute minefield of telephone numbers. I finally got through with this number: 0300 322 7096 (use this if you have pre-tax year 2017 to discuss) / general queries it seems.

Soldato
I've been left with the shocking sum of £2.60 to pay :0

Managed to get the final company dividend under the £2000 personal dividend allowance because the directors loan accounts were sufficiently negative to offset it.

Biggest issue for me though was the thought of paying back 50% of the CB, which thankfully I didn't need to do.

Back
Top Bottom