• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I7 920 D0 stepping @3.6ghz equivalent

Associate
In order to compare against gaming minimum specs and benchmark videos does anyone know what a I7 920 D0 stepping @3.6ghz would be in terms of a more modern intel or amd equivalent please?

Soldato
Not as good as a x5650 overclocked to 4.4ghz, no reason to go with a 920 when the x5650 is available for £8 and has 2 more cores and will do much better in games.

Soldato
Not as good as a x5650 overclocked to 4.4ghz, no reason to go with a 920 when the x5650 is available for £8 and has 2 more cores and will do much better in games.

Well done MR OBVIOUS, of course a 920 DO @ 3.6Ghz wont be as good in games as an x5650 clocked @4.4Ghz. It dosn't answer the OP's question though does it ? Let us all see your 3D Mark Vantage results, because of course you can still post them, it will let the OP get a more varied result to make a decision.

Soldato
I remember the old I7 920
Used to have mine at 4ghz though
But doubt it compares very well against even lower end cpus now

I had a 920 from day 1 of release................it was rubbish and never got beyond 4Ghz just like yours. The DO though was a different kettle of fish lol. Under Phase easily went to 4.6Ghz, but no further. The 975X i had did 5.5Ghz easily under Phase and the 990X i had did the same.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone I do have the D0 at the moment - it plays my current games pretty well at medium to high settings at 45-60fps (ARMA3/Battlefront2/Dirt Rally 2/Fall out 4/Project cars 2/Elite/Red dead redemption@30fps on low) with a 770. I am getting a 1660 super tomorrow to put some meat on the textures in Red dead, even if it is at 30fps and maybe push high/ultra in Arma3 at ultra 60fps.

My question was more around judging game performance (always nice to get 60fps on my 1920x1200 with best poss settings) when I look at game recommended specs for some of the games on the horizon for example Cyberpunk which I am dubious about with this CPU and also when considering buying recent games like BF5.

Its not that I wouldn't like to spash .5k on a Ryzen setup but I am hoping to hold out for a couple of years and then go all out for 1440p/144mhz setup. It's not like there are a que of gaming titles I am crazy for that I know of to force the hardware issue anyhows.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks everyone I do have the D0 at the moment - it plays my current games pretty well (ARMA3/Battlefront2/Dirt Rally 2/Fall out 4/Project cars 2/Elite/Red dead redemption) with a 770. I am getting a 1660 super tomorrow to put some meat on the textures in Red dead, even if it is at 30fps and maybe push high/ultra in Arma3 at ultra 60fps.

My question was more around in judging game performance (always nice to get 60fps on my 1920x1200 with best poss settings) when I look at game recommended specs for some of the games on the horizon for example Cyberpunk which I am dubious about with this CPU and also when considering buying recent games like BF5.

Its not that I wouldn't like to spash .5k on a Ryzen setup but I am hoping to hold out for a couple of years and then go all out for 1440p/144mhz setup. It's not like there are a que of super gaming titles stacked up that I know of to force the hardware issue anyhows.
Isn't there a
"can I run it" website?
Pretty sure have seen one that tests your hardware against specific games

Associate
OP
Yes - thanks Mcnumpty2323

I looked at that but didn't fancy running the executable and prefer a more subjective discussion!

Soldato
Yes - thanks Mcnumpty2323

I looked at that but didn't fancy running the executable and prefer a more subjective discussion!

Bearing how old X58 is now and also Intel security issues, Really anyone would be a numpty running X58 now. And by that i mean, running on the X58 platform and connected to the Internet at the same time. If you are running a game that dosn't need or require you to be online, then fine. If it does need or require you to be on line..........................then good luck, because you will need luck.

Soldato
Well done MR OBVIOUS, of course a 920 DO @ 3.6Ghz wont be as good in games as an x5650 clocked @4.4Ghz. It dosn't answer the OP's question though does it ? Let us all see your 3D Mark Vantage results, because of course you can still post them, it will let the OP get a more varied result to make a decision.

I'm just giving the guy some advice as he may not know a CPU with 2 more cores than his 920 is obtainable for as little as 8 quid and overclocked high enough can drive a gtx 1080 which is a far more powerful card than he's getting. The benchmark you posted tells him nothing other than a 3950x is better then his CPU which I'm sure he was already aware of.

Soldato
Yes you are right
I think I will have to feel my own way around getting a bit more value out of this CPU/mobo/RAM setup

The below video has been quite useful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEaV_MjMk3E
Yes YouTube is great place to see split screen comparisons
Yes not every one wants to
Or can afford to
Just grab the latest and greatest hardware
I made my 2600k at 5ghz last a good long time

Associate
OP
I like to keep things until they stop doing what I want them to do

Thanks kitfit1 for the heads up. I am thinking the majority of PC users out there are in a similar position in running older gear, I will have to hope the sheep herd protection lasts a bit longer! Is there any specific info you could show me that would help me understand the vulnerabilities?

Will have a look at the CPU suggestion Joxeon- thank you

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends how the op feels about current setup,as said plopping in a xeon would help,along with an ssd if you dont already have one

If I were to upgrade from x58 now id be looking at ryzen 3 3600x,b450,patriot viper memory

Soldato
I like to keep things until they stop doing what I want them to do

Thanks kitfit1 for the heads up. I am thinking the majority of PC users out there are in a similar position in running older gear, I will have to hope the sheep herd protection lasts a bit longer! Is there any specific info you could show me that would help me understand the vulnerabilities?

Will have a look at the CPU suggestion Joxeon- thank you

There is a very large thread on this very page that tells you all you need to know about Intel security vulnerabilities. I don't need to tell you anything...................just read it.

Associate
OP
I'm just giving the guy some advice as he may not know a CPU with 2 more cores than his 920 is obtainable for as little as 8 quid and overclocked high enough can drive a gtx 1080 which is a far more powerful card than he's getting. The benchmark you posted tells him nothing other than a 3950x is better then his CPU which I'm sure he was already aware of.

Thanks Joxeon - I saw the ebay postings for £8 - £15 for this CPU. Do you have any links around the gtx1080 drive you mentioned out of them? I have been reading the one below if this is the one you have referred to

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/829673-x5650-bottlenecking/

Back
Top Bottom