Catalytic converter scrap prices

Soldato
Heard an auris without it’s cat today. Sounded horrible, felt sorry for the owner.

Seems to have migrated oooop north now. :(

Close encounter last week, they did the hospital car parks while I was visiting a relative. Luckily the space I found was out of sight. In the main carpark where there's footage of them doing a Prius and a Jazz. Can't see the point in buying a Catlok, they'll likely just damage the car worse trying to get it off.

Depends what brand. For most cats, may not be worth it. If it's a Japanese one it's worth a million pounds.

If it's a Toyota hybrid one, or a Honda Jazz as they contain Palladium. Not an old Celica.

Associate
I work in the sticks and the PCSOs came round last week to warn us that a nearby gypsum plant had the cars in their carpark decatted by 3 men in a Galaxy with Irish plates.

Soldato
So much for saving money by running a hybrid. This will be hitting insurance prices as well.

Once the cat business is over, they will probably move on to thieving batteries and other expensive components from EVs.

Last edited:
Soldato
DPFs are getting stolen aswell. I expect they are more likely sold on rather than scrapped for the metals.

Probably stuck straight on ebay. Which then gets bought by one of their other victims.

A guy at work has his car stolen and found his laptop (which was in the car when it was taken) listed on ebay within days. So he bid on it and told the seller he'd collect/pay it in person, got the address and phoned the police :p Took some convincing though, initially the police just did not give a ****.

Last edited:
Soldato
There has been a spate of cat thefts from my local hospital staff car parks last night and the past few nights. Having reported it to the police this morning a colleague was told they are being sold for approx £80 on average.

Soldato
So much for saving money by running a hybrid. This will be hitting insurance prices as well.

Once the cat business is over, they will probably move on to thieving batteries and other expensive components from EVs.

"Come on Barry, just suck on the pipe and siphon the electricity out" :p

Hybrid owners need to get imaginative, perhaps rig a battery up to the exhaust so they get nice little shock when they try to pinch the CAT

Back
Top Bottom