A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

OcUK Staff
OP
I can't imagine pictures will do it justice compared to seeing it in person. You're going to have to bring it round everyone's house so we can admire it.

Hahahaha all come to OcUK in Summer, it will be parked outside.
Yes cameras cannot pick up the flake really but in fairness the flake also needs sun to show at which point it can almost look a little like gold dust is sprinkled over it, this photo demo it best from a meet last year when the sun actually came out:

a4.jpg

Now its being done it will look even better in the sun, rather excited and praying for good weather to get it out the garage. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Could not wait any longer so went to Autobrite today to just drool at the car, the photos really cannot do it justice, the amount of gloss and wet look is on another level that in the flesh the gloss, shine and depth to paint is like threefold to how it looks in photos here, now leaving it with them to store until weather improves somewhat, so fingers crossed as I am heading to Ferrari end of April for an 812 Superfast loan car and test drive whilst this gets MOT, so 800+ horsepower shall be fun in February. :D

IMG_3382.jpg IMG_3392.jpg IMG_3393.jpg IMG_3398.jpg IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3401.jpg IMG_3403.jpg IMG_3405.jpg IMG_3406.jpg IMG_3407.jpg

Soldato
Looking good! Get that rear plate replaced with one without the blue flag bit, yellow all the things.

Be very interesting what you make of the 812, I've never been in anything V12 it must be an experience. The Swindon dealer had an F8 in last time I went, huge improvement on the 488 in person.

Soldato
Regular Huracans have faired better though, around 10-20k loss, pretty similar to the 458, but if the Performante keeps falling they could be 150k soon and I truly think that is the bottom as for me its the best of the Huracan range, its only downfall really is it is just too good as in you feel rarely challenged on the road unless you absolutely disregard speed limits by huge amounts.

Problem is even the Performante they made to many, the Evo has all but matched it and you know that they will still do a Super Trofeo / Leggera / Something for the EVO which will 'truly' be the last NA V10 Lambo with all the lightweight + ALA gimmicks. Look how many Gallardo run out specials there were, I bet the same will happen but with the modern Lambo volumes.

The 'EVO Super Trofeo Superleggera Tricolore Stradale' blah blah blah will end up selling 300+ cars in the UK just like the perf, then what happens to that 150k performante?

daz

daz

Soldato
Problem is even the Performante they made to many, the Evo has all but matched it and you know that they will still do a Super Trofeo / Leggera / Something for the EVO which will 'truly' be the last NA V10 Lambo with all the lightweight + ALA gimmicks. Look how many Gallardo run out specials there were, I bet the same will happen but with the modern Lambo volumes.

The 'EVO Super Trofeo Superleggera Tricolore Stradale' blah blah blah will end up selling 300+ cars in the UK just like the perf, then what happens to that 150k performante?

No point even worrying or thinking about this because otherwise you'd never buy any kind of supercar - even Ferraris are not immune (just look at the 812 and Pista prices).
Just buy the car you want at the price you're prepared to pay. Drive it and enjoy it. Life's too short! :D

OcUK Staff
OP

Yes very true indeed.

As I've mentioned so many times, out of everything I test drove I think the 458 was probably the slowest of all the cars, but it is the won I wanted the most after test drives.

The simple facts is I came away from most cars feeling not that stimulated or tingling, ok do not get me wrong if your coming from an average daily car and you drive any super car you shall be blown away, but I am someone who enjoys driving for driving and the fun of it. There are cars like GT86, MX5 which are huge fun to drive because you have to drive the wheels of them and you can do so whilst remaining somewhat legal.

I found particular when I drove the Huracan even gently the speeds involved would land me with a jail sentence, even worse the car felt well quite boring, the moment you push some of these car to the point they are engaging you or getting the hairs on your neck to raise you are doing some totally insane speeds. The Huracan was worse for this, I guess maybe you can blame the Audi influence for that somewhat, but even the RWD Huracan also felt quite numb to me. Mclaren was more engaging (570S) but to me it sounded just so bad and lets not get into Mclaren service and residuals but needless to say they do not exist.

End of the day it was so so close between a 991.1 GT3 RS and the 458, but the 458 simply won it, yes it is crazy fast car I mean it may of being the slowest but it still hits 60 in around 3s but the winner and shocker for me was when pedalling the car down a back lane was it felt so engaging without actually really pushing it, I remember going wow wow wow in the drivers seat and feeling like I was going really fast to look at the speedo to see 55mph and what I do like is the car will move around too if you so desire. :)

But why I really like Performante is basically no 4WS, out of the cars I've driven with this I tend to hate it because to me the car is almost reacting unnaturally to my inputs and it genuinely feels somewhat odd, maybe it is something you will get used but for me in the GT3 models I drove with I found it rather off putting and the Performante does not have it, but the EVO does.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
No point even worrying or thinking about this because otherwise you'd never buy any kind of supercar - even Ferraris are not immune (just look at the 812 and Pista prices).
Just buy the car you want at the price you're prepared to pay. Drive it and enjoy it. Life's too short! :D

This I would just say maybe be aware of it if your trying to get into a super car and don't want to end up in a situation in negative equity even with a large deposit, I've seen Mclaren 570S Spyder now moving for around 90k, needless to say they were 140-150k plus 12 months ago, all super cars will lose money but I'd like to keep that depreciation to around 20k per year and not 40-60k a year that some Mclarens seem to losing right now, but when those bottom out my will they be epic buys as I think anyone can a agree a 570S for 60k will be a great buy but just have a warranty if applicable or at least 20k aside for maintenance/repairs. :)

I've done around 7000 miles in the 458 this year, can't wait for warmer weather so I can properly start using it again. :)

I am also itching to get it back as I've decided to do another mod on the car, yep I am going to unplug those exhaust valves and let it sing all the time. :D

Last edited:

daz

daz

Soldato
I lost £45k in 18 months on my 650S so not exactly great! Sometimes you're actually better off on a PCP with a GFV/optional balloon and then you know exactly what you're paying over the next x years for the car. No surprises.

Soldato

I appreciate the sentiment but for most mere mortals a predictable / favourable running cost is essential. I'll never be baller enough to own anything like those, but with some man maths and sacrifices in other areas I might sneak into the bottom of the supercar market one day.

I lost £45k in 18 months on my 650S so not exactly great! Sometimes you're actually better off on a PCP with a GFV/optional balloon and then you know exactly what you're paying over the next x years for the car. No surprises.

:eek:, that is incredible. Need seriously deep pockets for that scenario. I do wonder if McLaren actually have a plan for their current reputation, because I absolutely love the brand and the engineering is superb.

Can a 570S really get down to 60k? Surely not. The Gen 2 R8 is going to flat line around there I think, although the C8 Corvette might do some very weird things to values around that area!

OcUK Staff
OP
I appreciate the sentiment but for most mere mortals a predictable / favourable running cost is essential. I'll never be baller enough to own anything like those, but with some man maths and sacrifices in other areas I might sneak into the bottom of the supercar market one day.

:eek:, that is incredible. Need seriously deep pockets for that scenario. I do wonder if McLaren actually have a plan for their current reputation, because I absolutely love the brand and the engineering is superb.

Can a 570S really get down to 60k? Surely not. The Gen 2 R8 is going to flat line around there I think, although the C8 Corvette might do some very weird things to values around that area!

Last year when I was looking to buy not even a dog of a 570S was under 100k, acceptable ones were around 110k, nicer ones 120k, the Spyders started 140k plus with many around 160k. Yet now 12 months on you can find a 570S for 85k and Spyders are also sub 100k and MP4-12C's have being swapping hands in the 50's.
Mclaren are not supporting used cars, they just want to sell brand new cars to ballers.

If they don't do anything then for sure I really think a 570S will for sure be around 60k in another 12 months, also lets remember the current prices we are seeing are still relatively low mileage examples. When these cars are at 50k miles they will be even less money that is a fact unless Mclaren turn around their reputation and do so fast. They make awesome cars, but they have reliability issues and it seems hit or miss how they deal with said problem when they arise.

OcUK Staff
OP
See, at least you know him lol

Haha to be honest it gets a lot of people looking at it and taking photos, Ferrari are a rare site on the road so it does get attention and it is rather bright. :D
But I am pleasantly surprised, owning the 911 those years back it certainly created jealousy amongst people as there was a few occasions where a member of public or another driver on the roads would give a typical hand gesture and no one ever really tried to ask questions, unless a petrol head and a car meet.

So getting a Ferrari I was expecting similar, but nope, the reactions are many and they have all being positive, its very similar to owning the Mustangs, people want to ask questions and know about the car and few request from Dads or Mums if their child can have a photo with it, normally happens in petrol stations and it does not bother me at all as everyone has being so polite and genuinely interested, so though it gets a lot of attention, it has been very positive.

Back
Top Bottom