Update my CPU/ Mobo/ Ram please. Arma 3

Associate
Hi all.

Primarily play Arma 3 and I am wondering if its worth an upgrade, or wait a bit.

Current specs

i7 4790k o/c @ 4.6 ( Liquid Cooler)
Asus Maximus Hero VII mobo
32Gb HyperX Beast, 4x8Gb, @ 2400
SSD for OS and two more for Arma 3 and mods.

EVGA FTW RTX2080 Super

Asus ROG Swift curved PG348Q Ultra wide (3440x1440)

Upgraded the monitor and gpu a few months ago, (was 27" 1440p Qnix and Evga 980ti Classified).

Just wanting to get back some of the FPS I have lost due to the recent upgrade.

All the other games I play have improved frame rates and detail settings.

I know Arma 3 is faffy with CPU and Ram speed, just after some input.

Prefer to stick with Intel, but open to ideas, budget not tight, but dont go stoooopid...lol

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed, looks like your good! Arma3 is a cpu heavy game so I imagine a top of the range CPU might give you a boost but no actual experience to back that up. What kind of frames are you getting?

Last edited:
Associate
performance
Hi all.

Primarily play Arma 3 and I am wondering if its worth an upgrade, or wait a bit.

Current specs

i7 4790k o/c @ 4.6 ( Liquid Cooler)
Asus Maximus Hero VII mobo
32Gb HyperX Beast, 4x8Gb, @ 2400
SSD for OS and two more for Arma 3 and mods.

EVGA FTW RTX2080 Super

Asus ROG Swift curved PG348Q Ultra wide (3440x1440)

Upgraded the monitor and gpu a few months ago, (was 27" 1440p Qnix and Evga 980ti Classified).

Just wanting to get back some of the FPS I have lost due to the recent upgrade.

All the other games I play have improved frame rates and detail settings.

I know Arma 3 is faffy with CPU and Ram speed, just after some input.

Prefer to stick with Intel, but open to ideas, budget not tight, but dont go stoooopid...lol

Thx in advance.
Arma 3 is my favourite game (000s of hours). It's very CPU dependent and RAM/Cache speed dependent. If upgrading now a 9700K of 9900K are the best CPUs but I wouldn't be
buying either just for this game. Coupled with 4000Mhz RAM either will give you blistering performance and I was personally tempted to upgrade my 5960X at 4.5ghz.
BUT its only one game.
I'd defo wait until Ryzen 4000 as while 3000 series are a major improvement AMD are still behind Intel in this game. If you can run any faster RAM in that MOBO that would help but in all honesty
I'd wait 6-12 months for a platform update. If you can get your cache speed up to 4.4ghz or thereabouts you'll see a good 10-20% fps jump over stock.

Associate
OP
performance

Arma 3 is my favourite game (000s of hours). It's very CPU dependent and RAM/Cache speed dependent. If upgrading now a 9700K of 9900K are the best CPUs but I wouldn't be
buying either just for this game. Coupled with 4000Mhz RAM either will give you blistering performance and I was personally tempted to upgrade my 5960X at 4.5ghz.
BUT its only one game.
I'd defo wait until Ryzen 4000 as while 3000 series are a major improvement AMD are still behind Intel in this game. If you can run any faster RAM in that MOBO that would help but in all honesty
I'd wait 6-12 months for a platform update. If you can get your cache speed up to 4.4ghz or thereabouts you'll see a good 10-20% fps jump over stock.

Cache speed? I am familiar with overclocking CPU but generally only play with clock speeds and voltage, sat at 4.6 now and that`s all I can get stable, have lifted the RAM speed up to 2400 but cant get it any higher, even with additional voltage, 2400 is factory max for these atm.
I think my mobo will run up to 3000 RAM, but the difference isnt really worth the additional cost atm, given a platform upgrade is around the corner, lets see what Intel bring later this year?

Thx all

Associate
It's the uncore part of the CPU and the closer it is to the CPU speed the higher the effective overclock. Maybe do some research before fiddling but for example the default for my CPU
is 3Ghz. Mine is running at 4.25ghz. I'm not familiar with your MOBO bios so I don't want to advise you to play around without knowing what you're doing but check Overclock.net or maybe here somewhere as you may or may not be able to change your settings.
Memory speed and cache speed affect overall performance.
Try running YAAB (yet another arma benchmark) available on workshop in steam and hit S when running benchmark to get a feel for how you're performing.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom