Road Cycling

Soldato
Matt Holmes. Superb! :D

Pair of new Spatz Roadman like mine on ebay (now just gone over the price I was willing to pay for a backup pair): https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/274214788764

The dots are either track races or sportives or occasionally just a ride out where I've made a point of just going absolutely balls out race pace. I think if you select race when you upload to Strava it marks the calendar/fitness graphs in this way.
Ahh, I hadn't spotted that before but all mine are classed the same! Sweet! I thought maybe I just didn't ride hard enough ;) :D

You can still use Dropbox to embed photos here etc..

File%2017-01-2020%2C%2020%2032%2040.jpeg
The free version? Last time I used it they'd pulled much of the functionality from the free sub and app, or really limited the size, can't remember which! :)

Nice bike, commuter or audaxer?

I may have a new bike coming soon, will try not to crash it :D
lol what you done to your Felt!? :o

Soldato
Got my dads bike back. Only needs the lower headset bearing so have ordered the right one, wasn’t worth an hour in the car to drive up/back to Merlin to get one, just wait for it in the post.

His new shimano RS100 wheels have a rumbly freehub new out the box though. Quick google, it isn’t a cartridge bearing. Is it worth giving it a blast out and regrease or just complain to CRC?

Soldato
Does it feel rough off the bike?

Fitted quite a few of them and never found a rough one. They are a whole sealed unit so nothing to clean/adjust really.

Better not **** about with it if they are going to take it back.

Soldato
Does it feel rough off the bike?

Fitted quite a few of them and never found a rough one. They are a whole sealed unit so nothing to clean/adjust really.

Yeah I heard it in the stand at first when just looking to tweak the RD.

Then if you spin the wheel and hold the cassette you can feel it is slightly rough.

He’s ridden it maybe 20 miles over here that’s it.

If it’s a straight swap then should be fine, wonder if I can drop it at an Asda or something. Shimano stuff is normally bang on at any price, if all the ones you’ve seen have been fine then will look to change it.

Soldato
pitched a massive bitch fit at my work bike (kinesis t2) at the weekend after one of the shifters stopped working. Was about <this> far from just ordering a planet x london road when i realised it was 3pm and i hadnt eaten at all since breakfast.

had some food, mended the shifter in 5 minutes.

Hanger is not good.

Soldato
https://www.strava.com/activities/3042207420
Good hit out on saturday for a social. Got my F+F going the right way (upwards) that I'd hoped!

Only me and a buddy turned up for the usual 'shop ride' so we headed over and rode with another club (Gannets - do this quite regularly, can see me switching my BC sub to them when its due renewal). Quite a few of them out, maybe 16 or so in the group? Leader wanted 1 big group so spent much of the time waiting at junctions for the slower few. With quite a circular route this meant a good number of junction stops and crossing of main roads. Good social ride but quite boring at times waiting and getting cold. Weather was damp and muddy/wet lanes which didn't help things, but didn't actually rain (until the afternoon). Did a few intervals to keep things interesting, some efforts on climbs chasing the odd wheel and then we had a good paceline of 5-6 of us back to town. Couple of good turns but we gradually lost riders, with just me and 1 guy left who he said he couldn't come through and waved me on. Although I didn't feel it, I must have had good legs still to finish as strongly as I did. Nice surprise! :cool:

My graph is much more choppy/all over the place when looking at a whole years data.
Just for completeness (and realise not that many of you have Strava Summit or many years of data):
Year:
t0bCCPV.jpg
Bit rubbish, need a better resize tool...
Total:
QQpl4nY.jpg
(what a mess lol)

Isn't 100% as yet but will keep it secret for now :p
Ooooh, Secret Squirrel style? ;)

His new shimano RS100 wheels have a rumbly freehub new out the box though. Quick google, it isn’t a cartridge bearing. Is it worth giving it a blast out and regrease or just complain to CRC?
Worth just putting some oil in the freehub, quite a few off the shelf brand new wheels don't come with very much/enough.

That's a good point too, but equally cheap wheels, if all it needs is a bit of oil is it worth the hassle/stress of returning & waiting.

At least with cup & cone it should be easy to see if they're rusty without voiding any warranty/damaging seals.

Hanger is not good.
Haha, yup! Just as bad trying to rush anything maintenance wise. :D

Although the London Road would be a good choice! I've always liked the designs & spec for the money... Maybe if I do get too paranoid about my carbon frame and this 19kg trailer...

Soldato
Any thoughts/recommendations on bike storage in a small flat? Maybe a wall mount for above a bed?
How many bikes?

Vertical is the best if you're short on room, like behind a door or such. Didn't @Saytan or sometone have a clug mounted behind a dining room/lounge door? Looks a clever way of using otherwise 'dead' space.

Triathlete I rode with a couple of weeks back had 3 bikes in a 1 bed second floor flat... She had 2 in a hallway 'on the wall' and kept the 3rd behind her sofa. She would 'wash' her bike with baby wipes in her kitchen as she had no outside space or access to water, so she generally stopped riding through the winter so she didn't have to clean after every ride. Talking afterwards a couple of us convinced her that getting one of the portable mini washers (you can put in the back of a car) was probably the best bet. Wash down outside after riding, lock to something while she cleans the area with same washer, then wipe down & take indoors.

They're still as fugly as the first ones which I think I saw on GCN or was it DCR?

I'm not surprised they make such an aero difference with that horrible riding position (bars) and whatever is on those spokes... And lol @ pizza plates on both wheels, wtf?! :o

In all seriousness for something like that you'd think their prototypes would be on track bikes, probably in a windtunnel before being seen 'in the wild'. Controlled tests in a controlled environment.

You'd think with the rear it would be more aero to continue it behind the seattube down to the chainstays? Lots of disrupted/dirty airflow there. More so than anywhere else.

Soldato
Vertical is the best if you're short on room, like behind a door or such. Didn't @Saytan or sometone have a clug mounted behind a dining room/lounge door? Looks a clever way of using otherwise 'dead' space.

not me, but i'm thinking about a clug on the side of my boiler cupboard. It's a long term plan, since i havent built the boiler cupboard yet.

Soldato
How many bikes?

Just the one really. I have more, but they can be up in the garage.

I've got one of mine hanging by the back wheel.

Yeah, I like it, but I don't really have the vertical space I don't think. Maybe I could make it work in one corner of my room, if I move some things about... You're basically using one of these, right?

I really like the look of this actually.

2VPrUekh.jpg

I was about to just go ahead and click 'buy' until I saw it was £57! Hmm... maybe I will anyway. It looks the nicest of all the options and is quite flexible in that I can store the bike in almost any angle. (£46 from here, maybe I'll just do that?)

Soldato
not me, but i'm thinking about a clug on the side of my boiler cupboard. It's a long term plan, since i havent built the boiler cupboard yet.
Haha, know that feeling! Just build yourself a Bike stand which can easily be expanded/added to the side of a cupboard...

My plan to get a fancy 'TV stand' for the garage got delayed so much that eventually an ikea sideunit that was the 'wrong colour' (I'd already repainted it twice) became surplus. It was a much cheaper alternative, gives me lots of storage around the TV, allows the TV to retain it's stand and is also far more firm/sturdy than a collapsable stand. It's even wood so I've screwed into it, to mount a front facing fan. Perfect! I can even lean my bike against it without it crashing to the floor! ;)

I've got one of mine hanging by the back wheel. That's over a stairwell though. Other is in the spare bedroom wall just on a simple rack type hanger.

bikehang.jpg
Clever, but hope you found a good joist to screw that into! ;)

I had one of those in the garage, it got pulled out the wall by a hybrid, breeze block was not strong enough to hold it off the floor by a couple of screws! If I where to do the same again I'd screw it into a piece of 2"x4" and then put a bunch of screws through that into a block wall...

I really like the look of this actually.

2VPrUekh.jpg

There's cheaper less 'plastic' things around. I saw one which was like a mini shelf with mounts under it for a bike, then you'd use the shelf part for storage, like put helmet, shades and shoes there. It was a bit 'Rapha' but less hipster than that Cycloc.

Got one of those in my garage now and I hang tyres & wheels off it... It hangs out quite far (much further than it needs to for a road bike, it's adjustable but 'shortest' is still quite far) and with a bike on it we where forever catching our clothes on the drivechain! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Matt Holmes. Superb! :D

The free version? Last time I used it they'd pulled much of the functionality from the free sub and app, or really limited the size, can't remember which! :)

Nice bike, commuter or audaxer?

Yeah the free Dropbox, when you make the link just replace the bit at the end dl=0 with raw=1

The bike is my winter/commuter and poss turbo duties - have been fighting with fitting some SKS mudguards but got them on in the end and had a couple of rides on it - rides really well on road even with the 37c wtb tyres.

Back
Top Bottom