Energy Suppliers

Soldato
One of the reasons I've been saying I don't want a smart meter for years. Most now are SMETS2 but I'd imagine there are some 1's out there.
As of March 15th this year all smart meters installed HAVE to be SMETS2 use of SMETS1 has been outlawed. Several smaller companies have folded as the cannot keep up with the regulations that are being enforced by Ofgem,I work for EDF and we have taken on at leasst three companies clients because the could not keep to the requirements so have folded.

Denationalisation of the power industry although good for business it has opened up a whole other can of worms especially now as nearly anyone can open up a business as a retail energy provider!

Soldato
Several smaller companies have folded as the cannot keep up with the regulations that are being enforced by Ofgem,I work for EDF and we have taken on at leasst three companies clients because the could not keep to the requirements so have folded.
when you say could not keep to the requirements, you mean ?
compromised security aspects, technically unreliable installs, financially not efficient enough, so bankrupt

...I'd imagined an over production/stock of smet1's, now being sent to landfill, or foreign climes.

Soldato
when you say could not keep to the requirements, you mean ?
compromised security aspects, technically unreliable installs, financially not efficient enough, so bankrupt

...I'd imagined an over production/stock of smet1's, now being sent to landfill, or foreign climes.
Financially viability is the main cause, so many people don't understand how much it costs to.operate a company that just resells something...

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Thanks, sounds like an idiotic roll out, borderline criminal waste if money.
And the frustrating thing (as a consumer) is that there is no benefit to anyone bar the eventual aim to surge price power or whatever other long term motive there is with them.

Soldato
Just got a response:

Thank you for emailing us about your Smart meter. Welcome to E.ON. Hope you're doing well.

As you've switched from the supplier that installed your smart meter, so it might have lost some of it's smart functionality. With this you'll need to manually read meter readings to ensure that you receive accurate bills. Please don't worry however, as by the end of 2020 there will be an automatic software update which will allow all smart meters to work with all suppliers and restore full functionality to your meter, we'll let you know when this happens.

For any further questions, you can connect with us via Livechat. If we are not available to take your call or chat online, you can get in touch by using our online form available

Soldato
And the frustrating thing (as a consumer) is that there is no benefit to anyone bar the eventual aim to surge price power or whatever other long term motive there is with them.
This. As per the other smart meter thread. The implementation has been a typical government shambles with zero discernible benefit for the consumer. On the contrary, costs will increase through surge pricing models and other green energy initiatives to fund the privately-owned body to maintain the Smart Metering network; the Capita subsidiary, Data Communications Company (DDC).

Soldato
I've just signed up for OVO Energy with my British Gas contract coming to an end and wondered if anyone had any experience of them?

I did a bit of reading, which seemed mostly positive and they apparently also won supplier of the year on Uswitch (although I'm always skeptical about these awards!)

One question is, will be be offered (or forced to have) a smart meter? I don't have one currently having always resisted but there was no mention of it in the blurb on the Uswitch website whereas the likes of nPower and eON stated that I'd have to have one or be forced onto another tariff!

Soldato
I've just signed up for OVO Energy with my British Gas contract coming to an end and wondered if anyone had any experience of them?

I did a bit of reading, which seemed mostly positive and they apparently also won supplier of the year on Uswitch (although I'm always skeptical about these awards!)

One question is, will be be offered (or forced to have) a smart meter? I don't have one currently having always resisted but there was no mention of it in the blurb on the Uswitch website whereas the likes of nPower and eON stated that I'd have to have one or be forced onto another tariff!

I'm with them. No smart meters for me. They do a recommend a Friday so if you know anyone you get £25 voucher each

Soldato

Ovo Energy set to pay out £8.9m after regulator found it was overcharging customers due to IT problems

don't think ovo will win again ?
whereas the likes of nPower and eON stated that I'd have to have one or be forced onto another tariff
this has been discussed before here, although some tarifs do, most vendors send out emails and have T&C's wherby they will invite you to have a smart meter, but its not mandatory. ..
relations just got moved from npower to eon, as part of restructure, and were sent a (fait accompli?) email "just ring to confirm install appointment" - they never rang.

Soldato
Another reason to keep your own spreadsheet of your meter readings and what you should be billed so you can check what the company is producing....

I’ve has mine going for the last 7 years.

Soldato
I've just had an email from Eon stating I've got to have a smart meter fitted as I agreed to do so when I signed up to my tarriff. Funny but I don't remember seeing anything stating that when I joined them last month. Don't think I'll be taking them up though although I do wonder if I'm just being obstinate by not having one fitted.

Soldato
I've just had an email from Eon stating I've got to have a smart meter fitted as I agreed to do so when I signed up to my tarriff. Funny but I don't remember seeing anything stating that when I joined them last month. Don't think I'll be taking them up though although I do wonder if I'm just being obstinate by not having one fitted.

If it's anything like mine, you only agreed to be contacted about having a smart meter not actually having one fitted.

"11.1
With this tariff you agree to be contacted during the tariff term for the installation of a smart meter. You are still eligible for this tariff if you currently have a smart meter installed or your property is currently ineligible for a smart meter.
Your prices are shown in your confirmation letter. These prices and your terms and conditions will stay the same until the end date shown in your confirmation letter, unless:
- you stop paying by Direct Debit, or a Direct Debit payment fails (see 4.3)
- you owe us money and we switch you to paying in advance (see 4.1)
- a law or regulation means we need to make a change (like VAT changes)
- the government or our regulator (Ofgem) tells us to change our prices or terms and conditions"

It also says nothing about ending your contract or changing prices of you don't have a smart meter.

Soldato
Metering is what I do and I can assure you once the meter goes dumb the only option is to have a new one installed.

For an immediate fix this is true, but the SMETS1 meters will receive a software update and be enrolled to the SMETS2 network through the DCC.

What a bag of crap. Talk about incompetence. What do the DCC do?

They are the company chosen by the government that communicate with the meter when it is on the SMETS2 network. On SMETS1 each supplier can pick it's own company to handle this. Examples are "CGI" or "Secure". Some bigger suppliers handle it themselves. Technically they hold the private key for your meter which is why things fall apart when you switch supplier as communication is impossible. That company has to work with the DCC to upgrade and enrol your meter. However, technically if your new supplier picked the same company as your old one for connecting to their SMETS1 meters then things could work but this is the part most suppliers haven't bothered with. I don't think OVO and e.on use the same none though. Some are now changing their minds though as the SMETS2 migration is overrunning.

One of the reasons I've been saying I don't want a smart meter for years. Most now are SMETS2 but I'd imagine there are some 1's out there.
Yeah I've been holding off too, if you read the spec it seems like technically it could be hacked to remotely turn off your power :eek:.

Soldato
If your energy provider is offering to put in smart meters (which are compatible with other suppliers), are there any downsides to the matter?

Obviously not having to submit meter readings anymore is a bonus!

Soldato
Just done energy comparison and could save a by switching but most of the companies I dont know much about

Has anyone used them could you let me know what you think ?

Peoples energy
Green.
Out fox the market
Yorkshire Energy
Gulf
Utility point
Entice Energy

Associate
Just done energy comparison and could save a by switching but most of the companies I dont know much about

Has anyone used them could you let me know what you think ?

Peoples energy
Green.
Out fox the market
Yorkshire Energy
Gulf
Utility point
Entice Energy

Like all re-sellers they are what they are, beholden to short term market movements. Personally I don't mind them as I don't like to be like my parents and "build a balance for winter". You pay roughly what you need to and deal with the ebb and flow of weather. So long as you aren't in credit there isn't any real issue other than if they go bust you get chucked onto the energy regulators "preferred providers standard tariff". That can be a royal pain in the backside for other reasons due to limits on switching, overpricing, etc but I think is another topic entirely. I'd say, if it's a re seller they are much of a muchness other than price, so in that case if price is the primary factor go with the cheapest, dont build up a credit balance and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom