£15k to £20k non depreciating impractical fun car?

Soldato
Not by much though, i bet its still holding its value well as it approaches 10 - the first ones of the mk4 are still asking for decent money today.
first ones (2015) can be had for 11k

that's 50% depreciation over 4ish years..

they wont drop another 11k but I can see them being 8k cars very soon.

due to volume etc and fact that 15/16 plate ones had issues with rubbish gearboxes etc probably lowers the value.

Caporegime
I am likely to come into a little money later in the year. For the first time ever I am thinking of possibly selling my Corrado and putting some of the money towards another fun car. So I would like suggestions.

I don't need it to be practical. I already have a nice family car (Evoque) and a shed car for other times (Peugeot 206). So I would like to consider what options there are out there.

Price up to around 20k
Petrol
Two seats preferred... but not essential
Completely impractical
Occasional use only
Will be garaged
Must be holding money or going up (Corrado is now appreciating so wouldn't want to sell it for something depreciating)

For example an Elise comes to mind. What else should I be considering? Thanks.

Why do you have an Evoque and a shed? I don't see the purpose of the shed tbh.

Man of Honour
OP
Why do you have an Evoque and a shed? I don't see the purpose of the shed tbh.
Had shed since last April. Inherited it so it was free. Got Evoque last month. Shed is incredibly useful as I don't care where I park it or what I carry in it. Also worth just about nothing to sell and costs peanuts to insure, cheap to run and pennies to fix. Not worth selling and adds value to my life for the simple reason it doesn't matter if it gets scuffed somewhere. Useful as second car if one of us is in the Evoque.

I actually love the shed :)

Caporegime
Had shed since last April. Inherited it so it was free. Got Evoque last month. Shed is incredibly useful as I don't care where I park it or what I carry in it. Also worth just about nothing to sell and costs peanuts to insure, cheap to run and pennies to fix. Not worth selling and adds value to my life for the simple reason it doesn't matter if it gets scuffed somewhere. Useful as second car if one of us is in the Evoque.

I actually love the shed :)

The problem I have with that is. The only place I'd use the evoque is visiting friends and family.

As everywhere else involves a car park, etc.

Waste of a car.

I simply choose not to shop at places where there isn't an abundance of parking and just park far away from the busy sections to the side or back where there is plenty of spaces around.

Soldato
I use an Elise for commuting atm. If you don't care about gimmicks like "infotainment" systems it's a lot of fun and you get a variety of looks in winter, especially with the roof off :D

I'll be getting a new shed at some point for town visits. Can't have nice things near people anymore.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The problem I have with that is. The only place I'd use the evoque is visiting friends and family.

As everywhere else involves a car park, etc.

Waste of a car.

I simply choose not to shop at places where there isn't an abundance of parking and just park far away from the busy sections to the side or back where there is plenty of spaces around.
Luckily you
I use an Elise for commuting atm. If you don't care about gimmicks like "infotainment" systems it's a lot of fun and you get a variety of looks in winter, especially with the roof off :D

I'll be getting a new shed at some point for town visits. Can't have nice things near people anymore.
Well this is the sutuation I am luckily in. I already have a free shed and a family car. So it can be as impractical as I like.

Some very interesting suggestions so far. Wouldn't mind building a kit car tbh. Not sure I could get an Atom within budget though! 996 might be a time bomb. Interesting that several people have also mentioned the Elise.

Soldato
Get a late model S1 Elise, Sport 135 if possible. Spend some on getting the suspension refreshed and general titivating and still have plenty left over for fuel and enjoyment.

Associate

I regularly see someone commuting into Manchester in a Series 1 Elise. I drive the same roads in a Z4 and find them jarring, so christ knows what communing in an Elise daily is like!

Back
Top Bottom