• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Out of the CPU loop, upgrade advice please

Soldato
I'm gonna go for the 3600 I think guys, that price for a full CPU, RAM and Mobo upgrade is just far to tempting, I had no idea it was THAT good. What is Ryzen like for OC'ing, I currently have a Watercooled setup but I am looking to get away from it due to convenience. A solid AIO cooler would cope just fine with the new CPU I would presume?

The real performance gains come from memory configuration, but non X chips are probably around 125 maybe 150Mhz slower.

Soldato
What is Ryzen like for OC'ing, I currently have a Watercooled setup but I am looking to get away from it due to convenience. A solid AIO cooler would cope just fine with the new CPU I would presume?
With Ryzens there's not much of overclocking of CPU, because it automatically boosts the most heavily loaded cores high if power budget and temperature allow it.
And having good clock speed memory instead of some cheapest memory has way bigger effect than overclocked CPU:
Ryzen's internal blocks are connected together by data bus called InfinityFabric, which is locked into memory bus speed.
Hence slowest memories would seriously handicap CPU's performance.
3200MHz is what you would want as normal level.
3600MHz is basically optimum by being pretty much 100% sure to be achievable by IF bus of any Ryzen CPU.

And unless just wanting to spend more money than necessary, there's no need for water tubes.
Waterpipes in place of heatpipes don't make heat disappear magically, unlike claimed by marketing hype.
While water's heat capacity can absorpt short load spikes, all that heat has to be dissipated into air.
And most watertube coolers just don't have that much surface area for dissipating heat into air.
Because of that majority of them get beaten in continuous cooling per noise by high end heatpipe coolers, which are more or less lot cheaper.
Beating £43 Scythe Mugen 5 would need beefy radiator.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=Mugen+5
And it's basically overkill for just six core Ryzen, for which £21 Arctic Freezer 34 would be well balanced.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html

Caporegime
I like the choice of phrasing. I presume wide enough to do a reasonable job.
I want plug an play. Still tempted by the 3900x but been told I can't use the tomahawk as I'm cheaping out. Lol

It does do a reasonable job, yes.

And yeah, best use an X570, its a 12 core 24 thread CPU.

At £150 this will do the job.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57x-gi.html

Something from Asus for a bit more at £180.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-6dp-as.html

Last edited:
Soldato
With Ryzens there's not much of overclocking of CPU, because it automatically boosts the most heavily loaded cores high if power budget and temperature allow it.
And having good clock speed memory instead of some cheapest memory has way bigger effect than overclocked CPU:
Ryzen's internal blocks are connected together by data bus called InfinityFabric, which is locked into memory bus speed.
Hence slowest memories would seriously handicap CPU's performance.
3200MHz is what you would want as normal level.
3600MHz is basically optimum by being pretty much 100% sure to be achievable by IF bus of any Ryzen CPU.

And unless just wanting to spend more money than necessary, there's no need for water tubes.
Waterpipes in place of heatpipes don't make heat disappear magically, unlike claimed by marketing hype.
While water's heat capacity can absorpt short load spikes, all that heat has to be dissipated into air.
And most watertube coolers just don't have that much surface area for dissipating heat into air.
Because of that majority of them get beaten in continuous cooling per noise by high end heatpipe coolers, which are more or less lot cheaper.
Beating £43 Scythe Mugen 5 would need beefy radiator.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=Mugen+5
And it's basically overkill for just six core Ryzen, for which £21 Arctic Freezer 34 would be well balanced.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-freezer-34-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-077-ar.html
Definitely this ^, which seems to escape many people. A midrange cooler as mentioned is more than enough for a 6 core Ryzen.

Permabanned
OP
This is all fantastic information, thank you, and it's really boosted my excitement baring in mind how price conscious it all is in comparison to the current GPU market which is a little scary...

The noise these air coolers put out to keep the Ryzens cool i'd presume is minimal in this day and age?

Caporegime
This is all fantastic information, thank you, and it's really boosted my excitement baring in mind how price conscious it all is in comparison to the current GPU market which is a little scary...

The noise these air coolers put out to keep the Ryzens cool i'd presume is minimal in this day and age?

An after market tower cooler, yes. And it does not need to be expensive.

I haven't used a tower cooler for a long time and i'm not upto date on them but this one is a good brand and has a 120mm fan on it, i would think its more than enough to cool a 3600/X and quietly. its £30.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html

Any tower cooler experts please chime in :)

Soldato
Stock coolers are... well, stock coolers.
Though AMD has better ones than Intel and Wraith Prism would actually make quite decent cooler for six core Ryzens, if it were bundled with them.
While Wraith Prism is available separately, for basically same price you can get that Arctic Freezer 34, which wouldn't be out of its depth also for 3700X:
Heatpipe cooler field has very tight competition nowadays when it comes to performance per money.
With that Mugen 5 being step behind the best the best dual towers...

Associate
Just to hijack the thread, I just got a 2070 Super (loving it) but it is paired with my i4670K and 8GB of DDR3 RAM, which means that the one game I really wanted to upgrade the GPU for (Assassins Creed: Odyssey) is completely CPU limited, so I can't get beyond ~40fps on Very High or Ultra settings at 1080p - and I'd very much like a solid 60fps, thankyouverymuch.

I therefore need a new CPU/motherboard and RAM combo (which was always planned down the line anyway - the jump to 1440p is not an immediate priority) and I'm guessing Ryzen is the obvious way to go. Much like the OP, I'm well out of the CPU route, but I presume I should aim for at least an 8 core CPU to match the rumoured next-gen console specs (as most devs will target that as a minimum)? What, therefore, should I be looking at?

Edit: Just to say, I'm not looking for top-end kit, I want a good price/performance ratio.

Soldato
Just to hijack the thread, I just got a 2070 Super (loving it) but it is paired with my i4670K and 8GB of DDR3 RAM, which means that the one game I really wanted to upgrade the GPU for (Assassins Creed: Odyssey) is completely CPU limited, so I can't get beyond ~40fps on Very High or Ultra settings at 1080p - and I'd very much like a solid 60fps, thankyouverymuch.

I therefore need a new CPU/motherboard and RAM combo (which was always planned down the line anyway - the jump to 1440p is not an immediate priority) and I'm guessing Ryzen is the obvious way to go. Much like the OP, I'm well out of the CPU route, but I presume I should aim for at least an 8 core CPU to match the rumoured next-gen console specs (as most devs will target that as a minimum)? What, therefore, should I be looking at?

Edit: Just to say, I'm not looking for top-end kit, I want a good price/performance ratio.

Personally i run a 3800x, id say if you have to have 8 core get the 3700x, but i would say the smart move right now would be 3600 and sit on that til the next round of Ryzen comes for a drop in upgrade, at that point jump on the 8c/16t versions, we may have consoles near then as well with the new architecture etc.

Back
Top Bottom