2019 Chilli Growing thread

Associate
Soldato
Progress so far as a first timer. The tallest one already has one root just appearing out of the bottom of the pot so I guess will have to think about repotting over next few weeks. The ghostly apparition is Squirrely :)
9cm.jpg

Soldato
Finally got my seeds propagating. Not much action from the chillis, but the courgettes have sprung up very fast! Not sure where I’m going to keep them as we’re a few months away from being able to plant them out!

Associate
Finally got my seeds propagating. Not much action from the chillis, but the courgettes have sprung up very fast! Not sure where I’m going to keep them as we’re a few months away from being able to plant them out!

Way too early for courgettes in brum mate, have you got backup seeds? I'm doing squash family in late April in Bristol.

Got sweet peppers, aubergines and chillies on the way. My set up is wet paper towel in Sandwich bag method, on top of some insulating bubble wrap and on top of a £15 heat mat. I have a dedicated covered heated propagator but it seems to have died, the element does not get warm anymore.

Chilli varieties are:
Trifetti from Heritage Seed Library
Basque from Real Seed Co

Already got 2 2-year old Serrano plants that have overwintered and are putting on new growth.

New ones will be going into the ground in the greenhouse, the Serrano into big pots.

Soldato
Way too early for courgettes in brum mate, have you got backup seeds? I'm doing squash family in late April in Bristol.

Got sweet peppers, aubergines and chillies on the way. My set up is wet paper towel in Sandwich bag method, on top of some insulating bubble wrap and on top of a £15 heat mat. I have a dedicated covered heated propagator but it seems to have died, the element does not get warm anymore.

Chilli varieties are:
Trifetti from Heritage Seed Library
Basque from Real Seed Co

Already got 2 2-year old Serrano plants that have overwintered and are putting on new growth.

New ones will be going into the ground in the greenhouse, the Serrano into big pots.

Hah, yes I realise that now! I do have some backup seeds, but I'll see how these go. I was sort of on propagation autopilot when I was planting them.

No action from the chilli seeds just yet, but all the tomato varieties seem to have sprung up.

Soldato
but all the tomato varieties seem to have sprung up.

Hope you have a heated greenhouse to put them in they're going to ready to plant out in 3-4 weeks time, most don't start until march and plant out under glass in april, may if outdoors.

In terms of speed of germination/growth its roughly chilis - tomatoes - courgettes, slowest on the left fastest on the right.

Soldato
Hope you have a heated greenhouse to put them in they're going to ready to plant out in 3-4 weeks time, most don't start until march and plant out under glass in april, may if outdoors.

In terms of speed of germination/growth its roughly chilis - tomatoes - courgettes, slowest on the left fastest on the right.

I can confirm that I have successfully reproduced your germination observations.

I don’t have a heated greenhouse and have clearly got too excited too early. However, last year I started later and I think I planted out when the plants were too small and delicate and they suffered a lot and didn’t get going properly until right at the end of the season. Fingers crossed for a warm spring so I can get these into the ground in April. I’m going to have slightly cluttered windowsills for a short while!

The chillies matter a bit less and I’m considering keeping a couple inside to maximise the crop... don’t tell my wife!

Caporegime
The problem within inside for baby plants is you need plenty of windowsills or you end up with the plants going leggy trying to out compete each other

I have a new greenhouse at home and plan to see if I can give enough background heat with one of them 80w tube heaters, its just to try to keep the damp off at the end of the day

grow lights?

you can buy a lamp for £5 and a LED grow bulb from ikea for £5 - job done.

you could build your own grow tent too which is something I am looking at possibly doing. using insulated reflective camping panels from B&M and some wood.

grow lights?

you can buy a lamp for £5 and a LED grow bulb from ikea for £5 - job done.

you could build your own grow tent too which is something I am looking at possibly doing. using insulated reflective camping panels from B&M and some wood.

Can you link, I thought the IKEA grow lamps were closer to £30 than £5, at £5 they are game changingly cheaper than anywhere else
They are also pretty small, good for about 6 plants once they get going

Sure if your only after say up to about 12-15 plants you could set a couple up, in a small tent

Tomato plants grow quickly though, once they get going they will grow upto about 2-3 inches per day. The large ones I have seemed to grow about 6 inches per day in my poly.

Caporegime
Can you link, I thought the IKEA grow lamps were closer to £30 than £5, at £5 they are game changingly cheaper than anywhere else
They are also pretty small, good for about 6 plants once they get going

Sure if your only after say up to about 12-15 plants you could set a couple up, in a small tent

Tomato plants grow quickly though, once they get going they will grow upto about 2-3 inches per day. The large ones I have seemed to grow about 6 inches per day in my poly.

Sorry £10 it was over a year ago when I bought mine

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/vaexer-led-bulb-for-cultivation-par30-e27-60317483/

Ah didnt realise they did normal bulbs for cultivation, I had only seen the rectangular one

Hmm, wonder if i can easily get a nice greenhouse suitable holder. Could stick a few of these in the roof of the greenhouse as well as the heater.

Whats the full spectrum lighting actually look like? Assume its just like daylight temp?

Caporegime
Ah didnt realise they did normal bulbs for cultivation, I had only seen the rectangular one

Hmm, wonder if i can easily get a nice greenhouse suitable holder. Could stick a few of these in the roof of the greenhouse as well as the heater.

Whats the full spectrum lighting actually look like? Assume its just like daylight temp?

Looks normal to me.

I have a tp link smart plug going into the wall then a multi socket running off that.

So I have set up a schedule on the kasa app so the lights go on then off at set times.

I bought the cheapest lamps I could source locally. Were like £5 each as I don't care what they look like. The ones where you angle the head and point them at my plants.

Im thinking of taking that to the next level this year with a indoor grow tent, heat mat and chilli grows self watering system.

Hopefully then I get all year round supply. It's too cold to do it up here in Scotland without supplying additional heat and insulation.

Back
Top Bottom