TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
IMO, I think the BBC should be split up. Radio and news/information/educational services/content that is in the peoples interest (documentaries) should be out of general taxation. Then subscriptions for 'light entertainment' (i.e. Bargain Hunt) and then entertainment content that can compete with commercial offerings (Bodayguard, Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes).

Soldato
If anything it should just turn into a subscription model like netflix, so there cant be freeloaders.
You think there aren't freeloaders using Netflix? Probably a third of the people I know using Netflix are using their kids/friends/siblings' account. And people are using VPNs to access content they're not entitled to. All of this may fall under grey area/loopholes but it's definitely not cut and dry.

Soldato
If anything it should just turn into a subscription model like netflix, so there cant be freeloaders.

Netflix is not a direct comparison to the BBC, they are two different services entirely. And, as has been pointed out, there are probably more entitled freeloaders using Netflix than the BBC. The subscription model does not solve the freeloader issue.

So what is it based on? I want £0 of my money going to the TV license nonsense as I have no want or need for the service.
Also, no I don't understand it.

Whether or not you use the service is irrelevant, it's available for you (or anyone else) to use.

Soldato
Netflix is not a direct comparison to the BBC, they are two different services entirely. And, as has been pointed out, there are probably more entitled freeloaders using Netflix than the BBC. The subscription model does not solve the freeloader issue.
Whether or not you use the service is irrelevant, it's available for you (or anyone else) to use.
Just because a service is available doesn't mean you should be forced to pay for it.
The current way the license works is you only "need" to pay for it if you use it. Its irrelevant that I have the means to use it.

Any yes I understand Netflix has freeloaders using other peoples accounts/siblings/VPN whatever. The difference is netflix is still getting paid for each account regardless of how its used. Doesn't make it right, but there is still money being exchanged for the service at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's literally how most taxation works? Do you use the Flybe service from Newquay to London Heathrow? No? Your taxes pay subsidies to this service regardless of whether you use it or not.
For an tv entertainment service that is entirely optional not so much.
It matters what the "tax" is for.

Soldato
I'm quite surprised the amount of people on here who will allow an unannounced stranger into their private property to look at their TV equipment.

This point I'm sure will have been made already, but the 'officers' are just normal employed people with a clipboard.

Why would anyone just let them in without some sort of warrant giving them legal entry? Are their methods or pursuing someone doing something completely legal that intrusive?
If so, can there be an argument for harassment if they just beat you down until you give in just to make them go away?

Capodecina
Soldato
I'm quite surprised the amount of people on here who will allow an unannounced stranger into their private property to look at their TV equipment. . . .

This point I'm sure will have been made already, but the 'officers' are just normal employed people with a clipboard.

Why would anyone just let them in without some sort of warrant giving them legal entry? Are their methods or pursuing someone doing something completely legal that intrusive?
If so, can there be an argument for harassment if they just beat you down until you give in just to make them go away?
Do you send away normal employed gas and electricity meter readers or is it just your TV about which you are so sensitive and harassed?

Associate
Do you send away normal employed gas and electricity meter readers or is it just your TV about which you are so sensitive and harassed?

I don't know whether you have seen the letters that are sent out regarding TV licensing, they ARE NOT friendly at all.

Based on the letters then why would you let any representative for that company into your home, a company that from the off believes you are a liar and is hellbent on proving so :confused:

The prior suggestion by (I presume someone who works for the BBC or TVL lol) to bundle TV licencing into tax, no thanks :rolleyes::p

Soldato
I do welcome debate, but let's make it equivalent.

I have an active account with both my gas and electricity supplier and they only want to go into the hallway and check numbers on a meter. If I didn't have gas or electricity, I wouldn't have them coming knocking...well, maybe if they found the lamp post outside had a big power drain on it, but then siphoning energy is stealing so that does become a criminal matter.

It's not the same as a person wanting to look round the house to make sure I'm not committing a crime when I'm doing something completely legal. I don't have to pay for a license, it's not mandatory, therefore I should be left in peace.

If you can find an equivalence for that then we can chat about it, but you know that's not the same thing. As I said, even the Police can't just knock and expect to be let in to see if you're committing a crime.

Soldato
Just because a service is available doesn't mean you should be forced to pay for it.
The current way the license works is you only "need" to pay for it if you use it. Its irrelevant that I have the means to use it.

I suggested that the license model should be changed to general taxation, and that means you pay whether you choose to use it or not.

The current way the license works just allows the freeloader approach to flourish, that's why I suggested general taxation as a solution.

Associate

Any yes I understand Netflix has freeloaders using other peoples accounts/siblings/VPN whatever. The difference is netflix is still getting paid for each account regardless of how its used. Doesn't make it right, but there is still money being exchanged for the service at some point.

No they are not freeloading in order to use the service on more than one device at a time you pay more.

Netflix plans & prices

Basic
No. of screens you can watch on at the same time 1
No. of mobile phones or tablets you can download to 1
Highest definition available Standard
Monthly price £5.99
Standard
No. of screens you can watch on at the same time 2
No. of mobile phones or tablets you can download to 2
Highest definition available HD
Monthly price £8.99
Premium
No. of screens you can watch on at the same time 4
No. of mobile phones or tablets you can download to 4
Highest definition available Ultra HD
Monthly price £11.99

Soldato
No they are not freeloading in order to use the service on more than one device at a time you pay more.

Netflix plans & prices

Basic
No. of screens you can watch on at the same time 1
No. of mobile phones or tablets you can download to 1
Highest definition available Standard
Monthly price £5.99
Standard
No. of screens you can watch on at the same time 2
No. of mobile phones or tablets you can download to 2
Highest definition available HD
Monthly price £8.99
Premium
No. of screens you can watch on at the same time 4
No. of mobile phones or tablets you can download to 4
Highest definition available Ultra HD
Monthly price £11.99
Netflix notes in its Terms of Use that passwords “may not be shared with individuals beyond your household,”

Back
Top Bottom