So if mod merges my replies for me
Thanks
Yes in some cases you are probably correct the person is lost
Or doesn't know the road layout
But if every other bugger obeyed
The 2 second gap rule :D
The lost ones would have enough
Time lol :D

2 second rule only applies in urban sub-30 areas.

One should really use 3 seconds at motorway speeds! (Basically it is 2 second base but also 1 second/20MPH)

Most people do not appreciate this which is why motorway pileups happen!

Soldato
Another place I see it is with fire alarms at work where people seem to have enough time to wander back to their desks to get bags/coats etc

Guilty! They can get ****** if they think I'm leaving my rucksack and coat behind. I'm happy taking the risk of an extra 30s or so to grab them before leaving the building.

Soldato
I see this mostly with driving, people cutting over multiple lanes, not stopping at lights as they are changing etc, but why do people flagrantly disregard rules and regulations that are in place? Another place I see it is with fire alarms at work where people seem to have enough time to wander back to their desks to get bags/coats etc, whereas I am up and out of there and I’m nearly always the first one out.

what is it with some/many people?

Because they/we can. There's plenty of rules, regulations, laws etc that I ignore but only if it doesn't affect others. It's all about picking your moments ;)

Soldato
Our fire alarm goes off about twice a week for no reason, it's then tested on a Wednesday and Friday. Twice a week 160 people have to trudge out into whatever weather for 20 mins and I damn well go back to my desk to get coat and bag every time and I always will.

Soldato
Our fire alarm goes off about twice a week for no reason, it's then tested on a Wednesday and Friday. Twice a week 160 people have to trudge out into whatever weather for 20 mins and I damn well go back to my desk to get coat and bag every time and I always will.
Yeah most people will
If can't see flames
Or see/smell smoke they assume
It's a false alarm

Man of Honour
Related to fire alarms - the casual attitude towards fire exits (so often blocked) and other emergency procedures annoys me.

Does it not occur that just sometimes, the people who make seemingly random lane changers are actually people who have never driven though this particular junction before??

They are a bit lost an end up having to make last minute moves to get into the correct lane.

And of course, the other lanes are full of people who will not allow people to change lanes on the approach to a junction because "IT IS MY LANE, YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

:mad:

I've commented on this before such as near me there is a roundabout and the only lane indications are 2 arrows on the road that are easily blocked from visibility by other traffic:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.0...4!1sVhVPXzsS2To1syImKO4ZfQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

causes problems frequently between people who I imagine have probably just come off the nearby dual-carriageway for services (fuel, KFC, etc.) while passing through and don't know the road and those that drive there regularly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Rules are made to be broken. As long as you are not harming anyone else it not really a big deal.

Exactly this.
After decades of going abroad and watching really bad driving & then commuting on a cycle over the last 7 years, it really doesn't bother me when I'm in my car and I see somebody in this country disregarding rules & regulations.
I have better things to worry about.

Soldato
Compulsory retest every 5 years for all drivers.
Anyone over 70 its every 3 years
Anyone at fault in an accident (however serious) and immediate retest.

... the retests will also be far harder than the standard driving test - after all you should be a much better driver after ~years of driving than a fresh newbie.

Of course a government will never do that, folk will not vote for a party wanting to take away there cars.

People know how to drive, they're just choosing to drive like dickheads

Soldato
At my work place they do quiet a lot of random fire alarm tests
So now when the fire alarm goes off i now just think it another test ..

Soldato
Wife was taken off the road at 30mph by guy in a land rover discovery about a month ago.
Two kids in the car, 4 and 6. Happened 700 yards from my house.
Walked down, didn't know who the other driver was, there were ~12 people there.

Swore blind that if it happened to my kids, I'd lose the plot.
Got there, my 4 year old was hysterical, I took care of her.
Kids were fine.
Wife had an op, both bones in right arm completely shattered and metal the whole length of her forearm. The airbag.

As the ambulance arrived, 55 minutes later the guy turned to me to say, I couldn't see because of the sun, so I went.

I had a massive argument with my wife four days later, I want to report that %%%%, she does not.

It seems to me that common sense is at an all time low, in my perspective of losing the plot when x happens as much as everyone else out on the roads. Cars are driven as weapons, they might not perceive it as that but that is what is going on.
I have a paper license from 1993, never a mark on it, never crashed or had a parking ticket, not even sure it's legal but I've never driven as a lunatic, and that's what is out there.
The theory of danger is gone, complacency, nothing to lose and I'll get claim money is prevalent.
Everyone else is at fault even when they are the cause.

He has no idea how much my life has changed, he'll find out ~Summer 2020, I have the case number.
If one of my kids are severely affected in a crash, you'll read about me, this is a long time coming, with a history.
I won't be consoling anyone but myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
I drive 18k a year rarely see the things you suggest
Ref fire alarm I assume you mean fire alarm test, so what if people amble?

I bet you break various rules but just don't see it

Soldato
i had to pick up my daughter from bodmin parkway rail station Thursday night 11.15pm ,its in the middle of nowhere ,on the way 11pm a38 is half coned off and signs saying road closed cctv in use
obviously i ignored ,got to prioritise sometimes .

Permabanned
What someone sees something as safe they just do it if they think they can get away with it. Especially driving.

I still see people on their phones while driving regardless of the law.

If I ever get into a car and the driver picks up their phone I shout really loud n bash on the dashboard for them to get off it.

I threw someone’s out the window once. I’m a passenger and I’m not going to be in an accident due to someone been on the phone. No chance!

Back
Top Bottom