Leasing an SUV

Soldato
I'm looking at leasing an SUV as opposed to buying. I want something reliable, since my last two cars both had issues. Both were dealer used approved, which seems to not mean anything. So I'm thinking leasing is the way to go.

Do these deals seem reasonable?

All are 2 year deals, 8000miles. 24x

Mercedes GLC 220d £483 per month
Audi Q5 45tfsi £467 per month
XC60 190 £413 p/m
Kodiak 1.5 DSG £340 p/m

I already pay £415 a month for my Golf R, so I can sell and have one of the above for almost the same outlay.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you want something reliable and avoid having any issues, as having a lease car is no different to having a car under approved used warranty in that respect, you might as well cross the Benz and Audi out of that list.

I would strongly consider a Lexus RX/NX if you can find one within your budget, otherwise the XC60 and the Kodiaq appear to be reasonable given the budget. I would also steer away from the 1.5 petrol engine on the Kodiaq as it's not got a ton of torque to start with.

Difficult to comment on the costs, as we don't know the trims you're looking at and whether the costs are amortised or not.

Soldato
Leasing is mainly about finding the right deal as opposed to the right car. Leasing is usually the most expensive route but there are some bargains out there.

The Seat Tarraco is worth a look, based on the Kodiaq and £270 a month on a 1+23 for the 1.5 manual, or £306 for the high spec xcellence model in 1.5 dsg

Also the equivalent size to the Q5 is the Skoda Karoq, not the Kodiaq. These were a bargain (sub £200 a month) but have gone back up.

Check out leasing loco and leasing.com

Man of Honour
Loving my Evoque D150 R-Dynamic for £260 a month. Yes its the poverty spec model but I am seriously impressed with it. Not broken down yet although only had it about two months. The deal expired some time back but keep an eye out for similar. With your budget you could get a very nicely specced one. The new model is a lot more refined than the first gen. It's lovely inside.

Man of Honour
While boring if you want SUV and reliable in the same sentence then you are talking Toyota. Honda, Lexus and Volvo are also good bets. My family run a lot of VWs including SUVs and largely have been very reliable overall but there are often things you know need doing to keep it that way such as some models that it is very prudent to replace the turbo at around 70K miles, etc.

Man of Honour
I expect that you’d want a larger engine for an auto box or the AWD option.

Auto with a bigger engine is definitely a better experience - coming home from the end of a long shift I really like having the auto on my truck combined with a 3L V6 - never struggles to find the right gear, completely effortless and smooth driving. With smaller engines especially if matched with a heavier vehicle like an SUV in my experience autos can struggle a bit (and possibly take more wear because of it but I'm only guessing there).

Caporegime
Leasing is mainly about finding the right deal as opposed to the right car. Leasing is usually the most expensive route but there are some bargains out there.

The Seat Tarraco is worth a look, based on the Kodiaq and £270 a month on a 1+23 for the 1.5 manual, or £306 for the high spec xcellence model in 1.5 dsg

Also the equivalent size to the Q5 is the Skoda Karoq, not the Kodiaq. These were a bargain (sub £200 a month) but have gone back up.

Check out leasing loco and leasing.com

Leasing quite often throws up bargains if you dont have certain cars in mind esp if a new model is coming out and the old model is sold in bulk to leasing companies.

For example I have seen Audi A6 Sline 2.0TDI for cheaper than a ford focus. I once leased an Mini Cooper SD with chili pack (A £24k list car) for the amazing price of of £192 per month for 24 months on a 3+24 with 10,000 miles per year and 2 years free servicing thrown in. Just add insurance and fuel and I couldnt think of any cheaper motoring than that for two years.

I also once saw Audi A8's, a £75k car, on offer once for half price, £450 per month.

Soldato
OP
I can go to a car supermarket and I'll have to spend at least £10,000 to get a used Honda CRV probably. That might end up being reliable but it could also not be reliable. I feel like it's a bit of a gamble, not that much maybe. I suppose what's the worst that can happen, a new gearbox? Could be a couple of thousand.

This is compared to to leasing an SUV for two years at a cost of about £10,000. At least I know how much it's going to cost. It does seem like a big waste of money.

I think a used approved Toyota or Honda crossover/SUV is probably at least £15,000 from a dealership.

Soldato
Leasing quite often throws up bargains if you dont have certain cars in mind esp if a new model is coming out and the old model is sold in bulk to leasing companies.

For example I have seen Audi A6 Sline 2.0TDI for cheaper than a ford focus. I once leased an Mini Cooper SD with chili pack (A £24k list car) for the amazing price of of £192 per month for 24 months on a 3+24 with 10,000 miles per year and 2 years free servicing thrown in. Just add insurance and fuel and I couldnt think of any cheaper motoring than that for two years.

I also once saw Audi A8's, a £75k car, on offer once for half price, £450 per month.

Agreed. I almost went for the A6 deal in early January, was a bargain. Best I've seen is the 840i GC for circa £400 per month amortised, although an excess mileage of 40p/mile which killed it for me and a Passat Alltrack for £110/month; was a pricing error by VWFS but was honoured.

Back
Top Bottom