guy on ebay claiming mobo I sent has broken pins

Associate
I had the same thing, but I hadn't put a picture of the uncovered socket in the listing. Lesson learnt. Even with a picture I don't think you'll end up convincing ebay that it is the buyers problem. A refund will have to be issued and the board sold with the damage declared. I ended up about £50 down plus you have to cover the return postage. Don't think I'd ever sell a motherboard on ebay again.

Associate
OP
Does the board in his picture have the same serial number as the board you sold........?
I didnt note the serial, stupid mistake.His feedback was near perfect, 700+.The picture he sent was just the close up i posted.Am i wasting my time fighting this even the pic i took on the listing clearly shows no bent pins?

Soldato
That's why I don't sell my stuff
On ebay any more they break it and
No way you can prove you sent
A working item
Photo of serial number doesn't prove
That's what you sent them etc
Got sick of it in the end

Soldato
I didnt note the serial, stupid mistake.His feedback was near perfect, 700+.The picture he sent was just the close up i posted.Am i wasting my time fighting this even the pic i took on the listing clearly shows no bent pins?

Wasting your time. They will just say your listing pic could have been taken any time and that you sent it damaged.

Soldato
I always mark the stuff I sell with a UV pen incase it was swapped with a damaged item. that said the guy probably tried putting the CPU in the wrong way round then after realising he had damaged it opened a case against you.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do when this happens other than relist as damaged or trying to repair it yourself.

You could always say you didnt receive the retuned item and refuse a refund but then that would depend on how its returned etc as courier or tracked post will have a delivery record.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah you are screwed unfortunately. I got burned selling an immaculate Rampage V E10. Guy bent a few pins and sent it back, even had pics of the socket in the listing but EBay sided with him as the return had been delivered to me, they don’t want to know.

Soldato
eBay is horrible to sell, I tried to sell a laptop on there and a hacked eBay account bought it, luckily I cancelled the sale, the guy was communication through message and I could have lost out of a lot of money as I'd have got the money then posted it and had it took off me.

Soldato
Sent a full pc padded to high heaven inside and out, the buyer said it was broken on arrival due to poor packaging...... sent ebay a photo , won the refund, got the pc back, and they had unplugged the gpu from the socket... thats all it took for ebay to believe the pc was "faulty"... well its not going to work without a gpu. I hate ebay for that, it should be protecting the sellers equally.

And the number of times an auction ended with someone buying with a dodgy account that ebay then message me saying they have been removed from ebay.... jeez

Soldato
To me picture shows two different motherboards. I think you need to be clever.

I would first question the dust build up as if the pins were bent he could not use it so why is there dust if he could not use the board!
If he takes it to an EBay dispute then do not accept it dispute it take it to the end. If you refuse to return or refund he will have to either accept it or let Ebay decide.
Do not give in. In your defence put on the case the picture showing BOTH sockets as per above and in the text also state that you did not send a dusty board and state how come there is
dust on his picture if he can not use it as the pins are bent. Also ask him for a picture showing the serial number and a full shot of the board. Then state to ebay its not your board.

Let Ebay decide as you have nothing to lose. If Ebay go in your favour a win. If Ebay dont then its pap Ebay but they may let you appeal. If you just give in and accept a return/refund then he has won 100% where as if it goes to Ebay you have 50/50 chance.

Ebay does not always side with the buyer. I've found recently the shift is starting to change towards the seller as I think they have finally cottoned on that sellers are getting ripped off.

In fact looking at the picture again I can see at least another 8 pins that have been damaged outside the blue square if you look at your picture, even though its poor the pins are coloured in uniform but because he has used a flash any pin slightly out of place has reflected the light back and there are a lot more slightly damaged pins than the ones in the blue square.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Buyer feedback is pretty much worthless now that you can't leave a neg, feedback left for others tends to be more revealing, but even then it is just a crapshoot. I wouldn't sell anything electronic or worth more than £20, buyer guarantee and no buyer feedback makes it scammers paradise, there was one that did dozens and dozens of people with this "didn't receive", "broken pins", "doesn't work" nonsense and he's still on there, still doing it, years later. At least try to get it returned to you and you can sell the board for parts and the accessories separately, I/O shields alone can go for a tenner. Not much I know.

Soldato

I would say in communication with the buyer that serial numbers have been recorded and that the item has been marked with a UV pen. It may well scare them off.

Did you send the board with the socket protector in place?

Back
Top Bottom