Suicide by train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not a good thread for me to read considering how I feel mentally at the moment :(

There are helplines, do yourself a favour and call one, it’s anonymous and they’re there to help, not judge. Lots of people go through what you are experiencing, time to let the ridiculous notion that men “can’t talk about their feelings” go to rest.

Most people on here aren’t trained (bad pun) to help people in these situations, so it’s best to speak to someone who is.

Soldato
When I was 13 or so a farmer friend of my Grandad committed suicide by way of sitting at the kitchen table and resting the business end of a shotgun under his chin. It was my Grandad and I that found him. Was not a pretty sight.

Associate
The next stop down the line from me gets this a couple of times a year - it used to be a mainline station and sits on the west coast route, so has the old platforms next to the track but no trains stop on them, just thunder through at 70mph. They have gated them off, and things have got better since they have introduce platform guards at peak times. Still, a determined person will make it through should they wish.

Interestingly its also the site of Britain's worst peacetime rail disaster. Mostly forgotten now, but there is a large mural commemorating it just outside the station.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I work for the Underground on stations and fortunately never had to deal with a person jumping. If it does happen while I'm on duty then I would be the first person on the scene as I run the station :eek:

I know exactly what I need to do but doing it in real life will be different to going through it at training I'm sure. Part of the job I guess, being ready for anything.

Man of Honour
When I was 13 or so a farmer friend of my Grandad committed suicide by way of sitting at the kitchen table and resting the business end of a shotgun under his chin. It was my Grandad and I that found him. Was not a pretty sight.

One of my drummers Gary Pierrpoint (probably still in The Sentinel) was talking to me a week earlier how he couldn't get proper help with his Dad and this had been going on for years.
They finally fixed it to come in 4 times a day so he could get away for a couple of hours but their times were all over the place it made it a lot worse for him.
He eventually put a shotgun to his head.

Soldato
One of my drummers Gary Pierrpoint (probably still in The Sentinel) was talking to me a week earlier how he couldn't get proper help with his Dad and this had been going on for years.
They finally fixed it to come in 4 times a day so he could get away for a couple of hours but their times were all over the place it made it a lot worse for him.
He eventually put a shotgun to his head.

This does not make sense and is hurting my brain.

Soldato
Slug is really difficult to get hold of. As far as I know, practical competition shooting is the only way to get it specified on your ticket. It’s controlled like regular ammunition whereas anyone can buy bird or buck.

Good point, but I thought the post-Hungerford shotgun magazine capacity restrictions had finished off practical shotgun in the UK.

A Spec SG load (equivalent to #1) will be most efficient to anyone planning a bit of Kurt Kobain marksmanship.

Soldato
My train hit someone on Tuesday, had to be evacuated from a 10 car train via a single door and then routed round past the 'scene' on the platform. They evacuated the station.

What I found quite sad was whilst checking on Twitter for updates there was just bunches of people moaning at SWR and how they needed to sort it out (basically all trains to to the south were blocked for a couple of hours because they go via the Woking line). It took me 5.5hrs to get home but I'd rather that than be the driver, or a family member, or one of the many emergency services scraping bits off the track. Clearly there are things rail companies can do a lot better on, but I don't really see how you can stop this type of thing nor how you can instantly restore service bearing in mind there's probably at least a dozen trains an hour scheduled to pass through there.

Was this going through Chertsey? If so, that's so ******* sad.

Caporegime
If you do it right you're pretty much guaranteed an instant death by decapitation, get run over by a vehicle tyre and you're far more likely to surive. Plus I suppose the train can't swerve out of the way and kill someone else so you aren't really endangering others other than scarring a train driver for life.

Associate
Was doing some googleing and came across this thread which is very ironic as it is something i am looking at myself.
I live in UK so firearms are out, pills are out as i have a major issue of doing something and half way through changing my mind, and i'm not a lover of pain so cutting throat or jumping of tall building is out, i don't own a car so no fumes.
So from my POV trains are the only real option, commuter trains are to slow but i do like them as the tend to be less streamlind and the impact would be more effective i think but slower speeds concern me, so looking at some of these "bullet" sytle trains that go at 130-140mph, trouble is i live in London and having done several scouting out runs already security is a major issue, to many high fences etc i know of one place here https://goo.gl/maps/oWFmsK24TtuPyx1q8 where you can walk across the track with no issues but trains are slow, so it is something where i am going to have to go further out of london where faster trains will have less security maybe just chicken wire fence etc.

As to why i'm doing it well that i don't need to go into here but why trains well it's the only real option I can see open to me, i would love to find another way out but i just can't think of one, normally i am not a selfish person in fact far from it but i'm fully aware of what i'm doing and i know full well this is an increadabilly selfish act to undertake, I'm not worried about passengers as i presume there will not be much to see being hit head on at the best part of 150mph, but it's the driver that i feel for i know full well this can end some people carrerers and destroy their lives, i have given it a huge amount of thought and the only thing i can do is make sure i explain myself to him or her in the most detail i can as to why i took this route and explain that they have done me a huge favour, so hopefully i can get rid of soe of their guilt, to be honest i doubt it will help them much but i will do my level best to make surre they know they have done me a huge favour, letters will be in my rucksack and both laminated and sealed in airtight plastic wallet of some kind so the blood will not affect the paperwork a copy will also be sent to local coroners office as well as ASLEF, i do want him or her to be able to go back to work but i fully understand this may not happen, this will be the first time in some 40 years where i have put myself first, it's not something i am proud of but it's something i have no option but to do, and trains seem the best way to get the results i want/need, i have not worked out if i will just bend over in front of the train and hit it head on or lay across the tracks and chop my own head off, it didn't help reading the other day that when folks get decapitated the are still aware of what is going on for some time, need more thought on that one.

None of the above is a joke and it's NOT a cry for help, i have had some help over the years and i think i'm past any more help, save the nhs some money and put it into someone who can be saved.

All1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom