Purchased RAM not stable on XMP Profile

Associate
It's been over 10 years since I purchased a whole build for myself and never have I received so many different bluescreens with various errors over the last few hours.

I have as follows...

PATRIOT VIPER STEEL 32GB (4x8GB)
https://assets.website-files.com/5c...6_PVS416G360C7K Sku Sheet_Copyable 062819.pdf

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Gigabyte 390x 4GB
Corsair MP600 1TB
Corsair RM850

I've received similar errors that are in this post https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/is-this-a-memory-issue.18874831/

System seems stable without XMP in bios which has also been flashed to the latest version.

Other than doing the whole removal of individual dimms to test socket issues I'm unsure what to do however this does seem to be a timming issue. I've never inputted my own timmings before so not sure what to do considering I believed the profile would have done it anyway.

Another error was Memory_Management and I have also scanned the memory in windows and came back without errors.

HELP

Associate
When you say XMP you mean DOCP right? Search your BIOS for Geardown mode and enable it. This seems to help stabilize a system and will greatly improve troubleshooting potential. e.g. run MemTest86 without geardown mode then if you get errors, run with geardown mode On. If you don't get errors then it's a timing issue.

Associate
OP
The motherboard supports Extreme Memory Profile, saw no option for Direct Over Clock Profile.

Essentially with the Ram running at stock 2133MHz speeds on 1.2V there was no issue and system was stable. I’m going to play around with the Ryzen memory calculator when I get back home.

Could also try to go above the 1.35v for the XMP but the calculator was giving me different timings to what the Ram was tested for.

Associate
OP
Search your BIOS for Geardown mode and enable it.

Back home and searched the Memory settings and changed the Gear Down Mode from auto to on, XMP enabled and manually entered the Voltage at 1.35 and eventually got another Blue Screen.

Think it's mainly due to have all the DIMM slots populated as the XMP is designed to run with just two slots at a time. I've emailed Patriot to see if they have a quick fix for this set up.

Associate
As you have a Gigabyte board try this...
Rather than enabling the XMP option set all the primary timings manually as noted on your RAM sticks - should be under standard timings, this will will be CAS latency, tRCDRD, tRP and tRAS, command rate (CR) and voltages as per specified.

However, leave the entry tRCDWR to auto (enter no value) as this can cause issues like you are experiencing.

Leave all other settings to auto and see how you get on. Make sure you've reset all to back to default before you begin.

Associate
OP
screenshot-1.png
full
full

full

These are what I've entered via the safe timings and was just screwing around on GTA Online and the game crashed, doesn't prove anything lol but system seems stable. Will try memtest86 when I find a usb.

Although not know that much about specific timings I don't know how bad these are, let alone compared to the "rated" speeds.

I think on first look they're a little better?

(edit) Having issues with image

Associate
Sorry can't see any images but if you're referring to dram calc that is the next step in setting (advanced) timings etc....the rated values as per your sticks should be applied first.

Associate
OP
full

Sorry can't see any images but if you're referring to dram calc that is the next step in setting (advanced) timings etc....the rated values as per your sticks should be applied first.
Should be visable now.

I've changed pretty much everything on there that had comparitive value, changed some other voltages too.

Associate
I’d first go back to basics and set the standard timings manually as noted on the ram, using dram calc you’re jumping in at the deep end.

Soldato
Agreed with Ketma.

I think you need to run the RAM at it's original XMP profile for a bit to make sure they work flawlessly at default, no XMP profile plus DRAM Calc settings.

If they're working fine, then start tweaking with DRAM calc.

Associate
OP
I think you need to run the RAM at it's original XMP profile for a bit to make sure they work flawlessly at default, no XMP profile plus DRAM Calc settings.

If they're working fine, then start tweaking with DRAM calc.

The only issue with that I see is that the XMP is designed to work with 2x8GBs and I'm running 4x8GBs.

The Ryzen memory calculator asks you how many Modules you have before importing the information from the XMP and I think that's the cause of the issue.

I did months of research before selecting everything and saw performance was better having all the 4 DIMM slots populated rather than having twice the capacity in only two slots. I would have purchased a dual channel 4 pack but they don't seem to exist except as a quad channel kit, but I saw that as possibly causing another issue.

Are most people only using half of their DIMM slots?

@GuruJockStrap - After typing this I reread what you said, if you mean running them at stock which is 2133MHz they seemed fine before.

Soldato
What is your SOC voltage being set too with xmp as you may need a bit more with 4 sticks try 1.15 if it's defaulting lower than this.

Associate
The only issue with that I see is that the XMP is designed to work with 2x8GBs and I'm running 4x8GBs.

The Ryzen memory calculator asks you how many Modules you have before importing the information from the XMP and I think that's the cause of the issue.

I did months of research before selecting everything and saw performance was better having all the 4 DIMM slots populated rather than having twice the capacity in only two slots. I would have purchased a dual channel 4 pack but they don't seem to exist except as a quad channel kit, but I saw that as possibly causing another issue.

Are most people only using half of their DIMM slots?

@GuruJockStrap - After typing this I reread what you said, if you mean running them at stock which is 2133MHz they seemed fine before.
Funny enough I got this same issue. Except I'm running 2 x 8 GB and same problem so it's not that. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing regarding OC'ing memory so I just gave up. But to sum up the issue, RAM is stuck at 2133Mhz and when enabling XMP I just get BSOD.

Associate
And did you try to enter the core timings manually leaving the tRCDWR value on auto? For example, even though mine is x399 I set mine to XMP - no dice. Like I said worth a shot but diving in and entering values from dram calc when your rig is not running at the rated spec is pointless. Start using that util when you want to fine tune your timings and have confidence your rig is stable.

Associate
OP
What is your SOC voltage being set too with xmp as you may need a bit more with 4 sticks try 1.15 if it's defaulting lower than this.

I'll have to have a look when I next restart but I transfered everything I could from the calculator. If the auto was in the min and max limit I just left it.

System hasn't crashed since I entered the timings.

Patriot got back to me with a nice scripted response...

Patriot Support said:
Hello,

Using multiple kits will increase the stress on your CPU and motherboard, making it more difficult to reach higher speeds.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Make sure to be using the A2 and B2 slots, or as designated in the motherboard manual
• Updating to the latest version of the BIOS
• Load Optimized Defaults and enable XMP (DOCP)
• Go to Frequency and change it to 2400 MHz and then Save and Exit
• If it holds and saves, increase to 2667 MHz
• Repeat this process until you have reached 3000+ MHz

Should you continue to run into issues, we suggest the following:

• Raising the voltage to 1.35v towards 1.45v incrementally
• Slightly raising CPU voltage

If you have any other questions regarding our product, please let us know. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Regards,

Patriot Support

So in short their answer is voltage -_-

Back
Top Bottom