root canal or extraction

Soldato
Root canals don't last forever. I had one when I was 22 (too much chocolate as a kid) and although it is still in there at 49 it does play up. My dentist told me they generally only last 10 to 15 years. It wasn't painful but takes a while so you get jaw ache from keeping your mouth open that long. I'd try and save it if you can unless you can afford implants in which case maybe that's the way to go.

Haha I love that!

But in regards to your post isn't it free on the NHS?

Yes I am in receipt of PIP (formerly DLA) if that was where you were coming from, but PIP claimants still pay their prescriptions and for dental. NHS dental just means lower rates than private. NHS charges are in 3 tiers:

Tier 1 - £22.70 (check-ups)
Tier 2 - £62.10 (basic procedures)
Tier 3 - £269.30 (complex procedures)

My ISA has £3500 in it and I suspect I'd levy numerous £270 bills on me as I've gone without for many years if I was ever to find a dentist again.

Associate
Personally I don't believe root canals are safe, dentists can't 100% kill any bacteria inside that tooth, so if bacteria starts to spread and turn into an infection, and make its way up or down (depending on which tooth) your body can't fight the infection as there is no blood / nerve supply to your tooth which is effectively dead, so I understand.

Not had a root canal myself though and seriously would try to avoid them best I can.
Had a couple of botched fillings though, last one I had a tooth filled, then it broke, filled it again, and broke it again, moved to a NHS / private dentist who said he was quite sure he could save it with a root canal and crown but there was so little tooth left that I wasn't going to fork out however many hundreds of pounds it was for both the root canal and crown on a tooth that was almost gone in the first place, I had already spent £130 on having a white filling on it mind, and even then he couldn't give me a 100% gaurantee the procedure would save the tooth, so I had it out, it's the 3rd from the back on the top row, so it's not very easily viewable, and I get a bit of food stuck between every once in a while but it's fine otherwise.

My mother had a root canal and had nothing but issues with it, so ended up having the tooth removed, so I think it does also depend on the person, the tooth and the dentist, and if you can afford to spend X hundreds on a RC and crown if needed and it then needs removing anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
and I suspect I'd levy numerous £270 bills on me as I've gone without for many years if I was ever to find a dentist again

Depends - usually I believe if they do complex procedures as part of one course of treatment you will be charged it only once even if that is repeat visits as long as they can bundle it all together - at least that is how my dentist does it.

Man of Honour
I've had at least 6 root canals but only one made me cry like a baby.
I've even had one without anaesthetic but I was in that much pain with an absess that he promised me I'd have relief when he started drilling into it - he was right.

It's all down to money OP, an extraction would cost me about £62 at the most, my dentist might even do it for the £22 check up fee where a root canal plus crown will cost £260.
I'm not sure you can have a root canal without a crown!

Associate
Reccently been told I need to have an Implant on my front left tooth. £2750 and procedure looks doomy. Will take 6 months from start to finish, too.

I have an NHS dentist but this isn't covered.

Soldato
I was offered the same choice last autumn (same tooth too) and chose extraction.

My advice is to find out how long your local hospital's non-urgent oral department waiting list is first.

My extraction failed, leaving the roots behind and I was refered to hospital with a 45 week waiting list. They were so uncomfortable that I took them out myself after about 3 months.

Associate
I'm going to need to an extraction ahead of my implant. Mine is going to be done by the dental surgeon but again i got to pay for it (£200).

^ Just re read the bit where you took them out yourself. Flipping heck!

Soldato
I had two root canals, both of which were to be topped off with a crown.

The root canals took 3 hours to do, in 3 one hour long sessions. The only pain I felt was the injection and a bit of an ache where I'd had to hold my face wide open for so long.

Unfortunately, before I could get the crown's fitted, I stupidly bit a piece of toffee, and one of them cracked.

They fitted the crown anyway, but a year later it came off, and the tooth below was rotten. The eventual extraction was horrific. The tooth shattered in the pliars and I had to have it all gouged out with a chisel. You know it's bad when the dentist is sweating and blood is spattered on the light above your head. Fortunately the anaesthetic held up against any feeling of what they were doing.

Two weeks later though I was over it, and since then I've invested in a waterpic and haven't had a problem since. The other crown has been fine.

Associate
I had root canal treatment last year after having an absess and was a bit worried as everyone says its so bad, I wasn't any worse than having a filling, but the dentist couldn't clear the canal out as it was mishapen, so I had to have the tooth out anyway, but I won't worry if I ever have it done again

Permabanned
I have such a fear of the dentist that they stopped trying with me being conscious and local anaesthetic years ago. Now if I require major work they send me to the hospital and put me out under general anaesthetic. It was a failed root canal that ended up being the catalyst for me being sent for general up at the hospital.

Soldato
I'm going to need to an extraction ahead of my implant. Mine is going to be done by the dental surgeon but again i got to pay for it (£200).

^ Just re read the bit where you took them out yourself. Flipping heck!

I can well believe it. I've had abceses before and especially when the tooth gets wobbly, sat there in front of a mirror wondering if I could just yank it out.

Yes, it wasn't pleasant but after 3 months of careful chewing and lots of cleaning, it started to hurt again. That's when I chased-up my hospital appointment and learnt of the waiting list. They had to come out.

I posted about it here, including a picture:

This Instant And Moment - 2020!

Associate
Had root canal before the injection had fully taken so that was a tad painful.

had two extractions, dentist gave me a little bit to drink and i work up back at home. No memory at all except for having the drink and my mum helping me down the stairs

Man of Honour
Rather a root canal than an extraction. i had a broken molar extracted, it was brutal.

Same here. I had several injections before the dentist could do anything and it was such a hard job she was sweating from the effort she had to use and the time it took. The tooth was broken to bits, but the bottom of it was very firmly set in place. She questioned me about my travel plans before I left. Rightly so, as I was far too drugged up to be safe driving. I walked home.

The extraction hasn't caused me any trouble since, though.

EDIT: I remembered another "nice" detail. She put a full face shield on so she wouldn't get spattered with blood. Thank goodness I was out of it on the good drugs and couldn't feel a thing.

Permabanned
it was such a hard job she was sweating from the effort she had to use and the time it took.

Brother experienced the same thing getting a wisdom tooth removed. His dentist is ex-army and an absolute unit apparently and even then it took forever to get the tooth out and the dentist was sweating buckets.

That's why I hate the dentist. I hate people in my personal space and you can't get more in your personal space than being right up in your face trying to yank teeth out. Just knock me out and do what work needs to be done.

Caporegime
I'll give a different story :D

Had root canal back in September I think, now I'm not one to make a fuss at the dentist. Initially I was getting a filling but the dentist commented that he needed to drill close to the nerve so let him know if I felt any pain ( normally for fillings I don't get an injection :eek:) this one did hurt after he hit the nerve for the third time. So next appointment I get root canal. Things appear to go fine, get the second appointment and everything is filled in. Fast forward a month and I hear a random crack in my mouth and over the next couple of days my cheek swells up. The canal got infected and the tooth got removed the following Monday. So occasionally things do go a bit wrong :(
Similar story for me. Wasn't made aware that a RC'd tooth is weaker, and within 2 months I had cracked it eating some nuts. Extracted now, but annoying waste of £500 on the initial RC.

Back
Top Bottom