BMW M140i owners

Baz

Baz

Soldato
I can only comment on my M135i - but the acceleration/performance is staggering, especially when you consider that it can be relatively economical over longer drives while not costing the world to run.

The rate at which it gathers speed is truly staggering, I would hate to think what a proper supercar feels like with twice the power!!

My favourite thing is when you floor it from a roundabout and you get to the *ahem* legal speed limit (read 100+) and you snap off the throttle - the lack of acceleration throws you forward quite rapidly :D

There are no new ones left though, I got ours in March last year when they were all built and BMW were giving £12k off them, so worked out about £29.000 each - which is around the same as a Mini F56 JCW, which we had before, and the running costs are about the same, in fact the JCW got less MPG than the M140i (though less pops and bangs than the Bimmer)

Associate
We've a 68 M240i; 20mile commute and general use and we're seeing a running average of low 30's, pretty impressive for 340bhp 3.0l :)

I must say the auto box is terrific and couldn't comprehend going manual.

Associate
As I said in another thread relating to 140s, I can't see why you'd need more power on the road. So M4/5s etc with 500+bhp must be scary as hell on any twisty road, especially when greasy.

There is a huge feel in power difference between 340bhp and 440bhp. When I went from 340bhp to 400bhp on one of my old cars, I was absolutely shocked at the power difference, at 440 it was mental. I can only imagine 500 plus in an AWD car.
You don't need more than 150bhp for most cars really, but car enthusiasts so.

Associate
I had a manual M140i. Averaged about 28mpg, but that's on roads that aren't great for economy. Never actually serviced it. First service as due after 24 months and i had it 22 months. I had no problems with it. Found the DSC very aggressive, but that's probably for the best.

Associate
OP
I've absolutely **** the bed on this car and went for a newer Golf GTi. I may live to regret it but I'm used to running company diesel cars and have a heavy right foot.

Thanks for your input, I was undecided right up till half 5 last night when I left the office and bought the Golf.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've absolutely **** the bed on this car and went for a newer Golf GTi Performance Pack. I may live to regret it but I'm used to running company diesel cars and have a heavy right foot.

Thanks for your input, I was undecided right up till half 5 last night when I left the office and bought the Golf.

Meh! Tbh, it's not like you've gone out and bought a bad car! Enjoy :)

Soldato
Dunno if I'm doing something wrong but I'm lucky to get 22mpg on my commute (2014 Auto M135i). Mostly stop start town traffic.

If it's particularly heavy traffic I'll average about 18mpg.

Maybe mine's broken :(

Just ticking over 60K so needs the ZF box service doing, but that will make little difference to my fuel economy.

Associate
Dunno if I'm doing something wrong but I'm lucky to get 22mpg on my commute (2014 Auto M135i). Mostly stop start town traffic.

If it's particularly heavy traffic I'll average about 18mpg.

Maybe mine's broken :(

Just ticking over 60K so needs the ZF box service doing, but that will make little difference to my fuel economy.
I think the M135i's were a little more thirsty. If it's town traffic too then i'd say it's an understandable figure.

Associate
Had mine about 10 months now.. while I really like the car one issue I'm having is that no matter how much I fiddle with the seat position I just cannot get truly comfy!

Sadly it's gone on so long now that my heads being turned by other options.. just cannot see me keeping it long term.

Absolute beast though performance wise!

Soldato
Had my M140i for 2 years and 10 months before it was stolen. Averages about 40-45mpg on the motorway. Didn't care much for mpg elsewhere. In the time of ownership I put about 30k miles on her. Amazing car and would happily have one again.

Caporegime
So I’m now thinking of getting one of these myself. 6 yrs of a VW gtd has been great and it’s a quick nimble car but I want something more balls to the wall performance wise.
I was lucky that a friend from work knows a guy who has a 68 plate M140i so got to play with it on Sunday afternoon evening.

My god the nuttiness of the engine, pops and crackles were satisfying but the pure acceleration of it where at one point in pootling along at 20mph slam the accelerator down and within seconds I’m close to 80 and the damn car is itching to go faster and faster lol.

Anyhow I digress though, my main question to people who own one or have owned one in the past. It only comes with a manual handbrake?? Do they come with the auto hold function?? Where when you come to a full stop it activates the brake so you can take your foot off the pedal when stopped. And I hear you can get a bigger screen but is that classed as the media professional option??

Sorry for the questions, can’t seem to find any definitive answers online and the one I had for a few hrs, I was too busy driving it hard to look at these things :p

Soldato
If you mean auto hold on hills, yes they do. (I own a 140i)

Yes the bigger screen is the pro media pack I think, or whatever it's called. Maybe pro sat nav.

Awesome cars. I've had mine for just over a year. Does everything I'd want it to tbh.

Man of Honour
If you mean auto hold on hills, yes they do. (I own a 140i)

He means the auto hold function on ZF8 fitted BMW models with an electronic handbrake, which applies the handbrake when stationary. the 1 series does not have this.

You are referring to hill start assist, which it does have.

Soldato
I only manage to get 35mpg at best on the motorway with the N55 engine in the M2. Efficiency greatly improved after 10k miles of driving.

Usually get 20-25 on a my spirited drive, probably average 26-28mpg on regular driving and commuting.

M140is interest me, my neighbour has one - would love to have a go in one and see how it compares.

Soldato
I have been eyeing up a m135i or m140i auto for at least a few months now.

I think I know the options pretty well, HK audio, comfort pack (for heated seats and cruise stuff) and ideally professional nav... I know adaptive suspension gets mentioned lots, but seems to be a rare one unfortunately!

Anything I'm missing?!

Back
Top Bottom