Ford S-max, lower miles or newer car?

Soldato
Looking at buying a S-max as a family car, put a thread about it a while back but the idea is becoming more developed as we consider it more and think about doing center parcs in Holland for example.
We each have small cars which are perfect for 90% of the time but when we want to go out as family of 5 we take both cars but we're thinking of going further in the uk and into Europe. Plus weekends away and trips out. Hire for a week costs £500, we're talking about doing 2 weeks away this year and already have 2 weekend breaks booked. Same next year most likely.

It won't get more than 5000 miles a year on it and depending on how it works could be ours for a couple of years. Insurance is less than £200 for a year, tax around £300 depending on model. I can do servicing myself, then tyres etc but obviously hope not to have a big ticket item go during ownership.

I'm looking at 3000-4000 and searching gives me cars from 2007 to 2010 and mileage from 60k to 110k. These do seem to go on to 150k miles if looked after so which would you take, an older one that has less miles or an newer one that has say 105k on the clock? I know its a question with a hundred variables but can't make up my mind which way to sway, there are some newer ones with a good spec that have 100k on the clock and some older ones with 70k on the clock... 110k one might be better looked after, the 70k one might just be used as we have, maybe I should be concentrating on service books and number of owners :confused:

Associate
Newer car, as long all service has been completed at the correct intervals.
In few years time, as you're planning not too many miles, the total miles of the vehicle will "balance" out.

Soldato
concentrate on servicing and condition imo - they are practical family cars, so 70k miles of a family of 5 using it hard all the time is going to be worse that 100k of commuting with mostly 1 person in it - I don't think resale value is going to be a big consideration on a car like this, surely more likely to be run into the ground and offloaded when it throws up a big bill?!

Soldato
I'd buy based on condition with a focus on newer wherever possible. I'd much rather have a 1 owner high mileage car where the owner has treated it like a £30k car since new, properly serviced it, fitted decent tyres etc than a 3 owner unloved example.

When we bought our xc60 it was on nearly 90k miles but owned from new by an elderly chap who bought, serviced and part exchanged for a newer xc60 at the same dealer. He even used to pay the dealer to fit and remove his roof box every year!

Soldato
OP
Looking at the market at this end it would seem it will devalue by about £500 a year if its still serviceable. Its a fair point that we will pull its yearly mileage average down during our ownership so I will take that on-board so looking for a 2010/09 one with around 100k on the clock atm with a good service history and lower amount of owners. Its hard though when you start looking up the MOT history and try to read how well its been cared for, amazing how many seem to take them for an Mot and fail on tyres that are threadbare!

Its a roll of the dice but would be great if we can own it for a couple of years and sell it on still running well.

Associate
I had a 57 plate Titanium 2.0 Diesel from new. Had done 240K when I gave it to a friend just before Christmas. Still on original clutch and only costs were consumables, servicing and usual wear & tear items. Superb car and still miss it.

Go for one in best condition possible. Check for when the cam belt was changed and check for wear on the inside edges of tyres. S-Max also feathers the rear tyres which can make it sound like rear bearings are going. Mine was the manual; I heard reports of some dodgy auto boxes (same as the Galaxy).

Soldato
OP
Go for one in best condition possible. Check for when the cam belt was changed and check for wear on the inside edges of tyres. S-Max also feathers the rear tyres which can make it sound like rear bearings are going. Mine was the manual; I heard reports of some dodgy auto boxes (same as the Galaxy).

Thanks very much for this, the tyres def seem to be an issue, lots of them fail one or more MOT's on tyres. They do seem to do plenty of miles if serviced so i'm concentrating on that now, oh and finding one that hasn't been dented on every corner and curbed to buggery!

Associate
Curbing is a constant issue!

Interestingly when I was looking to change I did have a good look at the S-Max but felt that the build quality of the more recent models was nothing like as good as my older 57. Just felt less solid.

Soldato
Curbing is a constant issue!

Interestingly when I was looking to change I did have a good look at the S-Max but felt that the build quality of the more recent models was nothing like as good as my older 57. Just felt less solid.

We're two years in on a 2018 S-Max 2.0 TDI 150 as our family bus. Despite six of us hammering it, including three under-5s, it's still immaculate inside and out. Very solid cars imo, and goes from trashed to as-new in short order without special treatment.

Soldato
I bought a Smax for the mrs who was just passing her test 3 years ago. It was a nice spec 09 TDCI Titanium we havnt done loads of miles but its stood our twins abusing it very well and is actually a fair car to drive, we have also used the 7 seats once in a while.

Shes done two wings on various things (not cars) and they have been cheap to find. We service it yearly at work too.

we got it at 77k and its now on 85 k 3 years later. But i will say this.

It has taken a beating in residual value since we have had it and infact its possible its cheaper to pcp a new one

Soldato
OP

Funny you should suggest it but yes, i'm looking at these too now. I found one good S-Max in the last week it went before I even messaged him, I noticed it at 10pm and he already had 2 people lined up.

It seems for the same kind of money I can get a 2011 one with around 100k and initial searching indicates the engines are still good for 150+ with servicing etc. Some nice examples around me in generally good condition so i'm reading up on them now. They devalue quicker but at this end of the market its not as much an issue for me, I just want the car to be easy to own with little big ticket care needed.

Soldato
OP
So in the end we picked up a 2011 Peugeot 5008 Exclusive on Saturday, drove to wales to get it but I think worth it. Private seller, 89k on the clock with all the services.
Tons of options on it, I think he said he had everything apart from leather so its got loads of nice touches from blinds in every back window to satnav, cruise, screens in the headrests. Mechanically sound as far as I can tell (I did crawl round under it) and nice clean MOT history with no overhanging advisories or historical ones that would worry.
I'm going to get the cambelt/waterpump done over the coming weeks, did think about doing this myself but it looks like a real hand masher and a few remarks on forums say its just better to get a mechanic to do it...

Trips to Wales and Center Parcs Port Zelande booked this year, two weekends away so far too, all with 5 onboard. Drove it a lot this weekend and its a pleasure to drive, doesn't feel the size it is. Feels like it will be a weekend car and my M240 will be my daily and sunny weekend driver :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom