• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080Ti FE - Worth repasting?

Hey all.
Bought a 1080Ti off the MM.
It is the FE model, which means it has the blower style fan.

The card is brilliant, but when running flat out the fan goes a bit nuts.
I can obviously adjust the clocks, undervolt and add a custom fan curve.

I hear that the stock paste used is both rubbish and dries up over time. I wondered if applying some new paste would help? I have some Artic MX paste from years ago but it is still perfectly fine (used it on 3600 Ryzen build last year).

Any thoughts? The card will be out of warranty anyway.

Soldato
I got one before Christmas. Same problem. When I took the cooler off to put my GPU block on it the paste was really dry.

Only a 5 mins job, get it done

Edit: it like mine it's getting to warm it won't boost as high either. My clocks were stuck at 1600. Now under water I've just starting testing and clocking and I've got it at 1950mhz so far.

Soldato
Hey all.
Bought a 1080Ti off the MM.
It is the FE model, which means it has the blower style fan.

The card is brilliant, but when running flat out the fan goes a bit nuts.
I can obviously adjust the clocks, undervolt and add a custom fan curve.

I hear that the stock paste used is both rubbish and dries up over time. I wondered if applying some new paste would help? I have some Artic MX paste from years ago but it is still perfectly fine (used it on 3600 Ryzen build last year).

Any thoughts? The card will be out of warranty anyway.

Can repaste but will only make a difference if the application on it is really dry / awful. Had 4 of them with the FE cooler and with said cooler only so much it can keep things in check.

Personally before moving it all to water, found setting up a fan profile of around 60% was a decent spot between noise and ability to boost to a reasonable level.

Permabanned
I had a EVGA 1080Ti FE (seemed a Golden chip) 2.1Ghz core on air without redoing the TIM, if fan had not started making annoying noise at idle I would have kept it and done the TIM (RMA'd it and was quiet common if you Google it/assume bad batch of fans as all previous cards with "Titan FE Coolers/Fans" were fine for me).

I now have a Titan Xp (The Full Fat 2017 card) and again 2.1GHz on Core but I did redo TIM with Liquid Silver (tried other TIM's but no real temp drop, esp. the overpriced/overrated Thermal Grizzly),

Heat is the issue, you drop 1 step for each X degrees of temp so that's 13mhz each time it drops.

I do not care if fans is up full doing a FPS game and was going to AIO it but the EVGA kits sold out.

Soldato
I'd not only repaste but get a third party heatsink to put on, either a water-block if you have a loop or something like a Morpheus or Arctic Accelero III, you can find either fairly cheap if you look around and they'd give a nice boost to cooling and thus potential performance.

Soldato
I got one before Christmas. Same problem. When I took the cooler off to put my GPU block on it the paste was really dry.

Only a 5 mins job, get it done

Edit: it like mine it's getting to warm it won't boost as high either. My clocks were stuck at 1600. Now under water I've just starting testing and clocking and I've got it at 1950mhz so far.

runs the auto clocking in afterburner no added volts, just power limit, you’ll easily add another 100 to that...

Soldato
runs the auto clocking in afterburner no added volts, just power limit, you’ll easily add another 100 to that...

I've been playing a little tonight. Added 160 on the core are 400 on the memory.

Seems to settle at 1037 max gaming temp after 4 hours 50c with my fans and water pump set as low as they will go. Might push for a bit more

Caporegime
Thanks for the posts all.
I shall have a good look at a new cooler and consider repasting.
I will post back with any purchases!

Blower cards are terrible.

Also buying a 1080ti with no warranty then buying aftermarket cooling is kinda pointless when a 2070 super could have been had in December for £400 brand new with full warranty and the normal 2070 was around £350 new and maybe still available around that price.

Soldato
He has the card now anyway, out of warranty as well. So long as you are comfortable to remove the cooler (they usually use rubbish screws so make sure you have the right sized screw driver as not to strip the heads) fresh well applied paste will always help. Make sure the Ram and VRM pads stay good too, or get some new ones (check the thickness of the pads 0.5/1mm usually if needed).

Soldato
Agreed maybe a 2070 would have been a better choice.

Id agree with others and say repaste and if still unhappy. You can get an EVGA hybrid cooler and fit that which will drastically improve noise.

Or another third party cooler.

Soldato
I had my card under water and then put the blower back on, so in effect what you are proposing to do. In an ambient of 20C the card will sit at around 80C.

It's just how they're designed, so unless you are seeing temperatures above 80C then I wouldn't bother.

Back
Top Bottom